myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do they still make "bump & jump" boards ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascott72

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Do they still make "bump & jump" boards ? Reply with quote

I was sailing around off of Wells island over the 4th of July weekend having fun but definitely getting smacked around by the chop. This got me thinking that I could use a board with some double concaves and deeper vee. Something around 85 liters, good for gybing and jumping, smooth in high winds. I am more of a lawn mower than a swell surfer - and I certainly don't do and of those flippy tricks that I don't even know the names for Smile

I am sure if I went to one of the custom manufacturers like Opean Ocean they could make me a board like that for $1500+/-. But it got me thinking that the big manufacturers have stopped making this category. The board line-ups usually go :

Free-ride
Slalom
Free style
Wave

The whole category of "bump & jump" seems to have gone out of style. Am I imagining this?
ascott72

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, on a related note, I went to the CGWA swap and picked up some sails from a guy who was offloading all his windsurfing gear and going "all in" to kiting because windsurfing was too rough on his knees.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot freestyle wave or free wave as some call it. Unless you get a custom OO (which IMHO is more bump than jump) that is what you should be looking at. Freewave by Fanatic, Freestyle Wave by JP, Kode by Starboard to name a few. Just about all manufactures make one. It planes up better than a pure wave board, can make small or large radius turns, and in the size you are looking at is fairly quick. My Fanatic Freewave (2008) has been my all time favorite board. Although I'm thinking of replacing it next year with a Starboard Kode....
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although with the dam removed from the White Salmon and the resulting silt bar I have found the chop more disorganized (or is it all the kiters 😈) up around Well and not as enjoyable as past years...
garyagingrich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Tabou Pocket (or whatever Sven zeee German has) is exactly what you're looking for. Just go try it out... if you can find one.

Mitch
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
… definitely getting smacked around by the chop ... I could use a board with some double concaves and deeper vee. Something around 85 liters, good for gybing and jumping, smooth in high winds. I am more of a lawn mower than a swell surfer - and I certainly don't do and of those flippy tricks … The whole category of "bump & jump" seems to have gone out of style. Am I imagining this?

Apparently not, as an international videographer asked me a few years ago where/with whom he could record that style in the Gorge for his WSing style documentary.

If you prefer to mow the lawn “efficiently” … i.e., lightly powered, with maneuverability and lull planing constrained by power limitations … some modern boards ride well in chop. That Fanatic Freewave John mentioned is a good example. If efficiency is your primary criterion, and particularly if straight reaches float your boat, you can find plenty of smooth riding modern boards if you try. All other hull factors being equal, narrower is smoother, but at the penalty John mentioned.

If, however, you recognize and choose to tap the many advantages of extra power including added high-speed, high-g maneuvering in rough water, say so and I'll write more. I have devoted a great deal of time, effort, and hoots of joy to that facet of WSing and have several insights to offer. In particular, a harsh ride shuts down my vision and is thus a deal-breaker for me.
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the type of sailor you describe and I have been riding Fanatic's Freewave boards since 2005 that perfectly fills my needs.

I have a friend that had to replace his RealWind last week. He demoed two Freewaves (75 and 85) from Gorge Surf Shop and ended up buying the two.

You can't really go wrong with a Fanatic Freewave: they are always test winners in British, German and French magazines.

Another great board that fits the bill as a "bump and jump" board is the Tabou 3S (3-style). I have the 2012 3-S 106 liters and love it. Wonder why they are not available in the Gorge anymore
You can demo a Fanatic Freewave at Gorge Surf Shop.
ascott72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't really thought about how the new White Salmon sand bar would affect the chop. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the board recommendations.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped by Windance to check on the condition of a consignment board they have, with you in mind. They had it listed at 75 L, but in fact it's the 81L version. This series of boards, size for size, is my Go-To design when the rest of my fleet is getting pounded. Whether it's my 65 L version for 40 mph winds of my 96L version used only as a last resort to avoid digging out my 115 L Synchro, this line of boards has never disappointed me. I've never seen chop it doesn't smooth out very well, it does everything else I demand from a board, its WSMag reviews were absolutely great, and it sails and rides rings around almost every board I've ever tried.

I'd go into more detail, but ... alas, for you ... it was so near-new that I snapped it up as a backup for my backup. $299.

However, have you checked out the beautiful 2009 Exocet Wave they have for $549? Google its reviews from the big European magazines and you'll find extremely high praise for its incredibly smooth ride in rough water, even at its very high top speeds. I'd have grabbed it, except that it prefers wide jibes.

Here's another tip: the mags attribute its exceptional ride to great pads. My point? It's SO easy to add pads to any board, especially right where they matter most: under our heels. It really makes a big difference.

Mike \m/
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what johnl said. Also the bigger Starboard Evos are similar to the JP Freestyle wave. Stay away from any wave specific board. They are designed specifically for waves (and regardless of what other posters think there are no waves in the Gorge) and have severe drawbacks to lawnmower sailing. Also no need to spend lots of money, older FWs going back up to 10 years should be fine, even better, for your needs. Some newer FWs I`ve tried are more W and less F than they used to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: