myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
East Coast Speed Quest
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: East Coast Speed Quest Reply with quote

The East Coast Speed Quest 2012 is on, and Wednesday looks very promising. Forecasts "only" show low to mid-20s, but we have typically seen 5-10 mph higher winds with similar forecasts in the last 4 weeks. Participation if free, but you need a GT-31 GPS (or a GT-11).

I meant to post this earlier, but things have been a bit hectic recently.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does this event happen? Guess it depends on wind direction? I checked the link and did not see any specifics as to where. Thanks!
npiankov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spot is wherever you are. This is like playing chess by correspondence - you mail your moves! Smile Sail with a GPS, upload your track, it gets posted and ranked.

But if you are interested in being physically present where others are going for the same thing, no reason why you shouldn't. Just meet up with other speedsters, depending on where you are. I think Peter is initiating this competition - he usually sails south of Boston (Duxbury/Fogland/Cape). I may get back to speed sailing in November-December and I will be mostly in Boston.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I live in Old Saybrook Ct. Lots of kiters here but almost no windsurfers. I'll look into getting a GPS. What works best for windsurfing? Any local shops sell them? Thanks!
lasrer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only approved GPS for speedsailing is the locosys GT31 or GT11

they are available on Ebay, or at midwestspeedquest.com.

enjoy.

ed
npiankov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, GT31 is great. Having the GPS on your arm is really pushing you to sail differently than in a typical freeride session. Getting the immediate feedback on every single tack on how well you did (or you can peek at it while sailing - if you have enough control!) makes me really push it. It also has forced me into sailing a lot more upwind-downwind than before. For very little money, it gave me a new dimension in my sailing and a set of new goals - very refreshing. Well worth $140 (plus whatever the waterproof bag cost).
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikita, I hope you'll take out your speed gear a few times this fall. Someone has to give Dean some serious competition!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky, midwestspeedquest.com may be your best source for the GT-31 since they also offer great support. But if you want yours faster, you can usually get it next day from amazon.com.

Two spots that CT speed surfers like Bart sail a lot are Ninigret Pond and Fogland, both in Rhode Island. Ninigret will be closer to you, but tends to be gusty and sometimes a bit weaker. Fogland is a longer drive, but southerly winds can be great, with perfectly flat water (albeit short runs in the bay). You can usually find some friendly speed surfers there on a windy day. Look for arm bands with GPS units, not everyone is on slalom or speed gear.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I'll pull the trigger on the GT 31. I've always been good at sailing upwind so I can fly back home on a screamin reach! I sailed Ninigret just a few weeks ago, there are always people to sail with there if the wind is even half way decent. Never tried Fogland but I hear it can be very good. I don't owm any specialized speed gear, two boards, a Starboard Kombat 107, and a JP freestyle wave 84. Looking for a good fin for the 84 liter board, which I use with a 5.0 or a 5.8. The stock fin sucks. I know I won't be setting any records with this equipment, but it will be fun anyhow!
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Tetonics GoldWing 32's and Debs, one of the fastest fins you can find readily availible for the 84FSW is the TrueAmesConvert 28, or 10.75.
It's not great for 6 meter sails upwind, but solid as a rock downwind for topspeed control.
Lately, I've been sailing a couple of different very low end fins against the local slalom guys with the newest boards and Tectonics fins, and there is very little difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: