myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Diesel an issue in Baja?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Diesel an issue in Baja? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering buying a Sprinter type vehicule (it's actually a RAM Promaster). A gas engine is standard, but a diesel motor is available.

Some people told me that low sulphur diesel (type 2) is not available on the southern part of Baja, but an actual owner of a recent van (2012) told me he had no problem finding diesel in La Ventana aera.

So, diesel or not in Baja?

Thanks
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Using LSD in Baja Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

Mike Godsey here......

You might want to post your question on the Gorge forums since there are a lot more Gorge folks that drive down or have houses in La Ventana than Bay Area people.

I am in the process of updating the Baja Guide

http://www.iwindsurf.com/travel.iws?genID=22

So I have just started looking at the diesel fuel situation for this year. Anyone having and definitive reports of ULSD stations in Baja California Sur please send reports to mike@iwindsurf.com

Below is a hodge podge of the the information I have found as well as some background.

Newer diesel truck (07-09's) require Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel "ULSD" fuel NOT the "Low Sulfur Diesel" "LSD" fuel commonly available in Baja Sur.

Newer diesels will run just fine for thousands of miles on LSD (the same is probably not true for your brain). Many gringos just make the drive through Baja Sur filling up on LSD unaware of the ULSD vs LSD distinction. But according to manufactures several components of the pollution control system will eventually become clogged using LSD causing issues. And since sulfur was an important lubricant in older issues you may have accelerated drivetrain wear with LSD (as well as brain damage). All of these problems might take a year or more to become visible so take reports of "No problemo" with LSD with a grain of salt.

Remember Baja consists of a northern state, Baja California Norte, and a southern state, Baja California Sur. It is common for web pages to just say Baja California has ULSD when they are actually only referring to Baja California Norte. This is critical since ULSD is much more available in Baja Norte.

The most recent report I could states as of August, 2013 there still is not widespread ultra-low-sulfur diesel ULSD outside a limited area near the USA/Mexico border, Mexico City and Mexico state.

In January, 2010 ultra low-sulfur diesel (DUBA) was introduced by PEMEX that has only 15 ppm of sulfur. It has 5% biodiesel s It was introduced to 50% of the Pemex stations in central Mexico. Supposedly it is being slowly introduced to a few stations in the rest of the country. Look for the sign, "bajo azufre" below the word "Diesel" on the gas station signage. Also when you see the big black sign "UBA" just below the green Pemex logo, have the letters "UBA" on the line below DIESEL, then that station is suppose to have UBA (15ppm) ULSD diesel"

Despite all of the above I have found anecdotal reports suggesting some ULSD is available further south of the border than San Quintin, Baja Norte:

ULSD is always available from the border to El Rosario. I have seen reports of it being available at the larger stations at Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino and again at north end of Santa Rosalia. It is not available at Mulege and I can not find any reports of it being OFFICIALLY available to the south. Be aware that Pemex stations near the border have to sell ULSD since it is required by US law for trucks going into the USA. However gasoline and Diesel in Baja Sur comes to La Paz in Baja Sur from mainland Mexico so it is just Low Sulphur Diesel (LSD)

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

pemex.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.93 KB
 Viewed:  14658 Time(s)

pemex.jpg

GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike for the lengthy and intelligent answer.

I did link this subject with a new one that I posted on the Northwest forum:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=216895#216895

Of course, it becomes a circular reference, a thing one would want to avoid in modular programming, but who cares, I am done with this stuff. Wink
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I have heard ,, is what Mike reported.

The best place for baja information is www.bajanomad.com

and also another one for lapaz is LaPaz gringos, if you want I can ask for you in the LaPaz gringos yahoo users group or bajanomad if you do not want to join.

One of the baja nomads owns a gas station in El Roserio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: