myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
From another website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: From another website Reply with quote

Santa Cruz — On September 4, 2013 Barret ‘Bear' Pruden was kayak fishing between Pleasure Point and Santa Cruz Harbor. He was about 0.5 miles from shore in water 45 feet deep with a recorded temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit. He started fishing at about 7:30am. Pruden reported the following;“I was fishing just south of the harbor at around 8:30am. The thing was only about 20 feet under my kayak. I was reeling in a big hammer lure, and got a huge hit. I thought it was a halibut from the head shake. I set the hook and reached for my GOPro when the thing came completely out of the water. The sound that it made coming out of the water is probably what it sounds like when a submarine fires a nuclear missile and it rockets out of the water. It was so loud that I felt it. It seemed to freeze in mid air, getting its entire body out of the water before it does a belly flop that explodes the water around it. The shark was about 30 feet away from me when it jumped out of the water. It was a Great White Shark that had to have been between 12 – 15 feet long, maybe longer. It was twice as thick as my kayak, real fatty and a dark blue gray on top and the bottom was super bright white. There were no patterns on the shark that I could see, although I was looking at its mouth open as it launched through the sky. I called for assistance on the radio since I did not want to die out there without someone knowing what happened. It circled my kayak several times before the line snapped. I fished for the next 2 hours but nothing was biting. The shark did not return.”
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He fished for another 2 hours after the line snapped! Shocked Shocked
chakochako

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is why he wanted to stay there for another 2 hours... Oh well. You may want to check this web site.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys name is "Bear", of course he stayed out for another two hours.
chakochako

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the web site I mentioned above. A surfer paddled over to the shark to get a closer look on August 28...
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Señor cojones my hat is off to you.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad he wasn't a bit quicker with the GoPro - that would have been a great clip.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year is no more or less sharky than most.

Surfed a few hours at a secret spot between Pigeon and Donteatuscreek & whitey was seen twice cruising 100 feet off the point, second time in a couple of weeks and the last time a seal attack was witnessed.

tend to surf on low tide so that the wave is breaking on a lot shallower bottom, figure that keeps whitey at bay somewhat!

Pretty amazing we get so few attacks based on how many people in the water! One very smart creature, unlike humans!
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
The guys name is "Bear", of course he stayed out for another two hours.
Plus i'm sure Bear had some cold beer out there with him... two hours with Whitey... HELL YES!!! Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bull, I know you would have stayed out there too!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: