myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IRRESPONSIBLE KITER 8-15-2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks at NWKite have been very supportive on this one. Several offering to chip in for a new mast. Cool
SuperNuker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I'm with Mulekick on this one. All the people that talk about putting people in jail and fining for hundreds of thousands, suing and all this bs, please go sail all by yourself somewhere so you don't have to near anyone. Yes, leaving the scene sucks and his kite lines should be cut but I go sailing, kiting or SUPing, I sure as hell don't want to event think that there's someone out there that immediately wants to sue me if I accidentally run into them. It can happen folks. Yes, some people have been seriously hurt but we choose to do what we do around others and that's our decision and part of the risk we all take each day.
Get over yourselves you sue happy idiots.
With the attitude Isobars has about this, I'd stay clear of that kook. Yes, I said kook. I have a lot more days on the water than Isobars, never even thought ever about suing anyone. Let the community regulate it's self. We've been doing it a long time already.
This kind of banter make me sick. Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNuker wrote:
With the attitude Isobars has about this, I'd stay clear of that kook.

That's the best message in this whole thread. My work here is done.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
We've all heard some tremendous bullshit from Isobars over the years, but Really, a kiteboarder with "hundreds of thousands of dollars!" That's a whopper!

Ever heard of Richard Branson?
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNuker wrote:

Get over yourselves you sue happy idiots. Rolling Eyes

Traveling around the world was a real eye opener. American culture is certainly a breeding ground for sociopaths. Indeed, the blood thirsty lawyers have brainwashed everyone into believing they are fighting for freedom. Reality is that America is not as free as the rest of the world as a direct result of all these stupid lawsuits.

This accident is very similar to one that I experienced a few years ago at Cheap Beach. It was an out of control windsurfer who hit me. The impact knocked me unconscious and I was face down in the water according to a witness. I was able to sail to shore and get to the parking lot before coming to. The windsurfer dude didn't stick around to say "sorry" or make sure I was alright..... I'm pretty sure it was out of fear of a lawsuit. Shit, all I wanted to do is shake hands with him and say "it's alright, I'm fine".

And this is the direction that America is going in.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNuker wrote:
someone out there that immediately wants to sue me if I accidentally run into them. ... never even thought ever about suing anyone. Let the community regulate it's self.

Spoken like a true scofflaw with no regard for the consequences of his actions. Hucking into a crowd is not an accident; it's a conscious and reckless choice dangerous to bystanders. That's not just an opinion; it's a fact of law just like DUI and firing a gun into the air in town, thus should be stopped, and the patients don't get to run the asylum.

Some other, deliberate, violent assaults with the intent and capability of severe bodily harm we've discussed in this forum are criminal acts, not fun and games we sign up for just by being on the water. This isn't the Indy 500 in a legal or moral liability sense. Where the criminal courts can't or won't act, the civil courts often can. Self-regulation has proved insufficient, and is illegal at the level required to be effective in the worst cases.

Ask yourselves this question when considering how to handle anything from a total accident on the water to Benito's deliberate stalking and ramming another sailor head-on: What if the victim were your wife or child rather than yourself?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with WMP,

Where does this attitude come from where someone owes you something as a result of an accident? I just don't get it whether it be at work, in a car, or windsurfing. If the accident is deliberate or negligence is one thing but just because some idiot lawyer can make it so doesn't make it right.

When I broke my hip skiing on rental gear the ski resort was more concerned about if I signed all the rental agreements than my physical health. Even if I could have proven negligence I wouldn't have pursued it because I'm not some suck whiner with an entitlement attitude looking for others to subsidize my shortcomings.
SuperNuker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote from Isobars
"Spoken like a true scofflaw with no regard for the consequences of his actions. Hucking into a crowd is not an accident; it's a conscious and reckless choice dangerous to bystanders. That's not just an opinion; it's a fact of law just like DUI and firing a gun into the air in town, thus should be stopped, and the patients don't get to run the asylum."

Oh really.... hucking an air, loop or ? is like firing a gun in the air.... Rolling Eyes Like a DUI.... Rolling Eyes Incredible Isobars, seriously you have no idea.
There are those that can huck way better than you can jibe. There are those that can huck and land in a 12" square every time. Yep, you can huck a loop and land exactly where you want believe it or not. Once you're fired your gun, you have no control over the bullet. Hucking is so different. You may not have the control to huck and land where you want but lots of folks do. So stay on the water and far away and you should have no problems.
If you have suing on your mind, please, please sail with like minded folks or completely alone. We don't want or need you around at all.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anderson wrote:
On another note, the Event Site should be marked as DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND on all Gorge guides.. The Wall (currently only Double Black D) is easy-peasy, everyone there can sail and sail well, kite or board - there is rarely a chance of getting hit.

This is such a spot on anology of the event site. I am ashamed to say that in the past I was part of the craziness at the Event site on my first visit to the Gorge. The last time I was there it was a quick "no thanks" when someone suggested sailing there for the very reasons above.
In the end, let's just be happy that this sailor wasn't hurt. It really is unfortunate the kiter never stopped or was afraid to stop.
rager

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy people sure can get wound up on these threads... It's mostly ego. Life is self regulating period. And it's too short to let drama lead the way.

Be thankful for the river and the wind, and the people who showed us we could dream up awesome new ways to experience them.

Getting irate cause kooks exist is kinda kooky. Not to say I haven't been there... But hey don't get sucked in if you can help it!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: