myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Simple but brilliant tips and tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep a six foot line wrapped around the boom near the clips. For emergencies of course but also encourages you to change lines when you see a little wear while rigging.If the line isn't right hre you may not do it as often.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigh your board. When it is new is best but today is the right day. Write the weight on the tail. Taking in water? Easy to check.

Want to see if that hole is really a leak? Suck on it.

Got water? put a black cloth or towel on the board and lay it in the sun hole down for a week.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip, keycocker, but make it 12' and you can tow someone with it, towing goes a lot better when you have some line between you. Back footstrap to mast base, or mast base to mast base. I keep mine coiled up on the back of my harness.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple but brilliant tips and tricks Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
If you have wetsuit with tight legs that is a struggle to get into put any old plastic bag over your foot and it slips in like Astroglide.

Panty hose. EZ on, EZ off, including booties. Caution: may attract unwanted attention in The Bay.

Next time, buy a looser suit. I buy mine one or two sizes over so they're loose, comfortable, more versatile, and easy to doff and don.

Don't swim your floating gear around; grab it and windmill your legs instead.

Neoprene neck gaitor cut from old wet suit thigh adds OBVIOUS warmth to any wet or dry suit, extending its range instantly.

Don't slog without a strong reason. It sucks shred time out of you.

Learn sports nutrition. It pumps shred time into you.

Before rigging at a new launch, ask.

The answer to your question is, "hazards, sail size, wind speed, currents, water temp, daily wind patterns, barge lanes, the walk of shame conditions, and anything else that may save you some time and frustration."

Don't get carried away with that last one if everyone's furiously rigging; you might get downhauled or outhauled.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the key lock box. For $30 it is super convenient and you never have to worry about trying to hide the keys on the car or bringing them with you.

+1 on the electrical tape around the mast joint. I was skeptical about this one, but it really does seem to help keep the mast from getting stuck.

Another rigging tip is to write your base and boom settings directly on the sail with a ball point or sharpie marker. It takes all the guesswork out of rigging.

sm
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple but brilliant tips and tricks Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Don't get carried away with that last one if everyone's furiously rigging; you might get downhauled or outhauled.

Ha ha, that's true!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff....
Ha ha, I've been sailing short boards since '83 and DON'T use ANY of those tips. I also rotate between 35 odd sails, 20+ masts, and that many boards, without writing anything down.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: If you do not know how to do it, do it Middle-East style Reply with quote

Always carry your fully-rigged sail on you car roof top to save time but do not drive faster than 120 mph to avoid taking-off.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your harness lines are too short and your fin is too long.
never sail too overpowered, you're not learning anything.
Your sail may be too downhauled if it's recent or not enough if it's old.
Your body is probably too far away from your rig when you attempt maneuvers of all kinds.
Lean forward and bend your knees. stiff is not a fast position nor a safe one.
You should be able to rig 2-3 full rigs, the ones you mainly use. This way you can easily rig up or down without having to de-rig.
There are no bad sails. there are only sails that are rigged on the wrong mast or the wrong way.
The same cannot be said about boards.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Simple but brilliant tips and tricks Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Panty hose. EZ on, EZ off, including booties. Caution: may attract unwanted attention in The Bay.
Funny and true.

isobars wrote:
Next time, buy a looser suit. I buy mine one or two sizes over so they're loose, comfortable, more versatile, and easy to doff and don.

Not funny, so untrue and seriously DANGEROUS!. a tight suit is a warm suit. any loose area will make the best suit cold. Try as many suits as you can to find one that fits you. One minute of discomfort to get out of a wetsuit versus death is an easy solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: