myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin and Mast Base Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonlein44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Fin and Mast Base Suggestions Reply with quote

Hello all...
I'm a 100% newbie to windsurfing. I always thought it looked like a lot of fun and just today stumbled across a good deal--board, sail, almost everything for less than what I've paid for some shoes. I say almost everything because after further research I've discovered I'm missing a mast base and fin. The woman selling everything said she was selling it for a friend that wanted her son's toys out of her garage. Everything I bought was everything that the friend had dropped off that morning, so if those were just forgotten in transit I'm pretty sure I'm not getting them and will have to buy replacements.

And I have no idea what to buy.

The board is an F2 Ride 274. Dimensions printed on the board are:
Length 8'12"/274cm Width 22.8"/58cm Volume 102L

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mast base and fin? I've already learned I need to check the fin box to check the fin type, but if anyone is familiar with the board or knows if I need a specific brand that would be super helpful. Any information at all would be helpful, actually!

Keep in mind that I'm a complete beginner starting from scratch--no fancy jumps or anything like that just yet! Thanks!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a beginner board at all. You need a giant board probably at least 160L and a tiny sail to learn. Do not buy this gear IMO.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply, unless you are fully powered up and skimming (planing) across the top of the water at full speed this board will be underwater with you standing on top of it.
In order to have control of a sail and rig going that fast it takes a bit of experience. In this sport we have to start off with a giant floaty board and a tiny sail and gradually switch it to the other way around.
If you are very young extremely fit and athletic and sail in perfect conditions it may be possible to start with gear like this but for the other 98% we need to start with beginner gear.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all appropriate for a beginner. This board, is way too small. This is a board for an advanced windsurfer for sailing in fairly windy conditions only. It will not work properly in winds under 15 mph, even for an advanced rider! Return it if you can.
windswell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Return it if you can."
or just hang it on your garage wall as an incentive to learn faster on whatever big board you do get on craig's list or wherever.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my realistic and only very slightly exaggerated expansion on what beaglebuddy and the others wrote:
("If you are very young extremely fit and athletic and sail in perfect conditions it may be possible to start with gear like this")

And even then only if your have no ego, are not an accomplished jock, live where it's almost always too windy for boats, enjoy extreme frustration almost more than success, have 20-30 hours a week to devote to it, have professional instructors and their fees handy, and don't mind extremely slow initial progress.

Mike \m/
Sonlein44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for your advice! I'm so glad I didn't just buy whatever I thought would work and then head to the lake. I probably would have been so discouraged at not being able to even move on the board that I would have given up entirely.

I'll start looking for a more appropriate beginner board, but I'd like to hold onto the Ride. If I get good enough it offers me a bit of flexibility if I have two boards as opposed to one. So for future reference (though I suppose I'd be able to answer this myself as I get more experience) are there any board specific mast bases or fins that I would need? Or is the sky the limit?

Thank you all again for your knowledgeable (and quick!) responses!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need one of these (left hand side of the picture)

http://www.windance.com/Windsurf-Windsurf-Fins/?subcategory=Clearance-Fins

and one of these http://www.windance.com/Chinook-1-Bolt-Mast-Base-US-WSBE3009MC/.

and a couple of years on this http://www.windance.com/Mistral-Evolution-160L-WSWB4360160/

before you can use that.

-Craig

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Starboard Start in the classifieds section of this page under "transition". I learned on a Start and it is easy to get going on one.

Here is a good guide for the type and size gear for your skill level.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: