myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oracal Decals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Oracal Decals Reply with quote

Anyone have experience applying Oracal wet/dry decals to monofilm or X-Ply sails? Do they stay on?
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, like a mofo. Good luck getting them off after a day of sun. Make sure it's not something you want to be temporary, think tattoo. The decal will last as long as the sail, probably longer. Doesn't seem to affect resale, even if it's your personal sail number.

Apply them indoors if possible, out of any wind on any flat surface. Clean the sail (duh), peel off the backing sheet and hold the decal with both hands, dead flat, no wrinkles, and touch it down EXACTLY where you want it to be, only one chance for this! For very large decals, tape it where you want it, then peel off the backing sheet and work from one edge. Smooth it from the middle out, try to push bubbles to the edges & out, then peel off the application paper. Small bubbles will disappear, larger bubbles can be "lanced" from the side and deflated, being careful not to pierce the sail (duh).

Large decals can be tricky, since you haven't done it before ask the shop that made them to help you the first time. If you're close to Thousand Oaks, CA contact me via my website & I'll help you for free.

Last edited by spennie on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you do wet or dry application Spennie?
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally haven't had much luck with wet apps, although there are people who swear by them. To finish, they have to be totally dry or the application paper pulls up the decal. Maybe someone knows the trick, but I have pretty good luck doing them dry.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet application is the most user friendly for anyone with no experience with this. A couple of drops of dish soap to a quart of water in a spray bottle makes it easier although you do need to let it dry a few hours as opposed to the dry application. You'll need a squeegee. Something about the size of a credit card. The best way to do it is to place it where you want it and run a line of tape at the top making a hinge. Flip the decal back and peel the backing off. Spray the back of the decal and the surface that you're applying to with the solution. Roll the decal back over and squeegee back and forth starting from the hinge side working the bubbles out. If it's a long decal, say in excess of 24", You might want to hinge it as I said previously and then cut it vertically between letters and do it in sections.
Hope this helps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: