myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama vs. the Tea Party--who can lead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure many conservatives don't get it.
Did we miss anybody?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "rubber rooms". Case closed.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Holy smokes! That is bizzarre!
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Pointster...very good post, are you an economics professor? I'm having a hard time balancing your strong intellect with your freaky avitar.

Not a n econ professor but I have taken graduate level courses in economics. Got my degree in philosophy, as I felt it was more practical.

My avitar is a picture of the Fremont Troll, a concrete sculpture under the Aurora Bridge in the Fremont district of Seattle.

Fremont also has a statue of Lenin, a rocket, and a sculpture called "Waiting for the Interurban". And a Peets coffee, too.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
coboardhead said:
Quote:
"Private schools better" may be just a suburban myth.

Considering there are private schools that cater to very specific markets, from the mentally disadvantaged, those with psychological problems, average students and gifted students, quoting average performance scores means very little.

Not all private schools are good, but teachers can pick and choose until they fine what works for them and the school. I was in academically, high powered schools. I found my way in because I was recruited to coach and teach. Private schools sell a product, which the public chooses to buy if they think it is worthwhile for their children.

My point is that teaching unions can, and do contribute to mediocrity in education. People that do poorly in their work should not be allowed to keep their job. Something that the "millenniums" don't yet understand. Maybe the liberals don't get it either.

Techno...I have no idea how good a job your school did in educating or how exceptional an educator you are. What I do know,is there is not ample evidence available to claim that union teachers do not perform as well.

I have stated numerous times on this forum that I am not a supporter of public service employee union membership. But, I still cannot offer proof that the results are less effective because of the union. Can you?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
Pointster...very good post, are you an economics professor? I'm having a hard time balancing your strong intellect with your freaky avitar.

Not a n econ professor but I have taken graduate level courses in economics. Got my degree in philosophy, as I felt it was more practical.

My avitar is a picture of the Fremont Troll, a concrete sculpture under the Aurora Bridge in the Fremont district of Seattle.

Fremont also has a statue of Lenin, a rocket, and a sculpture called "Waiting for the Interurban". And a Peets coffee, too.

You two guys get a room... Laughing

I think the best Union a man can have is his ability to negotiate and provide a better product for his employer. Interestingly, my wife read an article that said the #1 occupation for people with ADD is "self employed". I am ADHD or ADD and have a degree in music and an MBA.

So I have little sympathy for guys that are so much brighter than I saying they need "Union help". Or we need big govt. It just seems so obvious to me that big corporations, big govt, and big unions are all messing things up. Kind of like a Savant who can see things so clearly, albeit one dimensional.

From my perspective, promoting small/medium business is the way to shut down big corporations and unions. There is so much more opportunity for employees of small businesses to grow their wealth. I don't covet Ellison's yachts or Gate's wealth. I ignore them and try to make my little universe a better place to live. Who cares if there's a bunch of bankers with a bunch of money. It's my job (if I wish) to get them to give me some of it through my own efforts and creativity.
pointster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
pointster wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

You two guys get a room... Laughing

I think the best Union a man can have is his ability to negotiate and provide a better product for his employer. Interestingly, my wife read an article that said the #1 occupation for people with ADD is "self employed". I am ADHD or ADD and have a degree in music and an MBA.

So I have little sympathy for guys that are so much brighter than I saying they need "Union help". Or we need big govt. It just seems so obvious to me that big corporations, big govt, and big unions are all messing things up. Kind of like a Savant who can see things so clearly, albeit one dimensional.

From my perspective, promoting small/medium business is the way to shut down big corporations and unions. There is so much more opportunity for employees of small businesses to grow their wealth. I don't covet Ellison's yachts or Gate's wealth. I ignore them and try to make my little universe a better place to live. Who cares if there's a bunch of bankers with a bunch of money. It's my job (if I wish) to get them to give me some of it through my own efforts and creativity.

Denmark has mostly small and medium businesses, and about 70 per cent of its workforce is unionized. And Denmark's government spending is 52 per cent of GDP, so that's pretty big government. However, their bonds are rated AAA and their unemployment rate is 4.4 per cent. And, per the UN, it is the world's happiest country. It doesn't seem that unions and big government necessarily mess things up.

What seems obvious to you doesn't seem so obvious to me. But then, I am neither ADD or ADHD.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know if Denmarks unions use the same model or operate in the same manner as what we call unions here. Are you comparing apples with apples? Somehow I really doubt it.

I wonder how long or if they would have "rubber rooms". I did some more digging on those rubber rooms / teacher concentration camps. The only thing the teacher's union didn't do to their own was march them into gas ovens. .

I wonder how much time the unions here have spent trying to model the union systems in those countries or do they continue to not recognise where a system works well and reinvent the wheel and drop the burden on the employer like they're doing with the ACA.

Saying something works over there is a pretty broad statement. Why and how it works is the key to making it work here, and until our unions model a working system we are left with the horrible example we have here.

You should also note there is a whole different mindset in those countries. Those people have a sense of pride in their work and themselves that is next to impossible to find here. They look at how they can make things better, cleaner, faster stronger. Go there and see how many times you notice just how perfect and clean and well kept everything is. They make us look like lazy slobs and that comes from their inherent nature. I can see unions working with people who think that way and their mentality isn't always "what's in it for me?"
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to http://www.teachersunionexposed.com/ , for starters. Vet -- either way -- their claimed facts and get back to us. I'm certainly no expert, but I have listened to tens of experts debate teacher's unions for scores of hours, and am disgusted by them. Even an outgoing TU president admitted their goal was self-preservation, not about the kids.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is their AAA bond rating not based more on their conservative financial practices? I'm no economic undergraduate but giving credit to unions is pretty backwards economics principal to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 34 of 59

Jump to: