myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Adjustable Outhaul with fast installation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaphal3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Adjustable Outhaul with fast installation? Reply with quote

Hi! I've had a single-sided adjustable outhaul system on my primary boom (HPL hybrid; 6.0, 7.0) since I started windsurfing, so naturally I'm addicted to it (AO). The only way I can beat the more experienced sailors on a head to head run is by getting a jump onto a plane, then flattening for speed. Of course, I appreciate it's many other purposes as well.

I'm looking to upgrade to double-sided, and not spend much money, because I'm poor (and cheap).
My current (single sided 4:1) system: CL244 + Harken 404 + relevant lines. I should be able to upgrade for another CL244+404+lines+optional chinook clew-pulley-burger (I'm not quite convinced that I absolutely need 8:1), which I could do for about $40 ($50 with the burger).

However, it strikes me that if I get a bigger sail, say 8.5, I'm going to need an additional boom. In such a case, I think it would be nice to have a system that I can quickly remove and slap onto the other boom, instead of having to get another full setup for each one. Plus, if I only need one iteration, it's hardly a "waste" to try it on my smaller (aluminum; 5.0, 5.8 ) boom too. I know AO is less necessary on the smaller sails, but also I think the smaller the sail, the less inviting the terrain usually is for floating around trying to re-rig.

So, my questions: What AO system is easy enough to install that you can quickly move it to another boom as part of your rigging procedure? Is anyone besides me actually cheap enough to do this? How much additional rigging time does it take?

My thoughts:
-The Sailworks kit looks like a good option at under $70; I think it actually gives 8:1 with no clew burger. However, I'm not sure if the webbing looks long enough for 8:1 on a sail with a lot of outhaul range. (I'm sure sailworks made it long enough; I'm more worried about my own ability to keep the system balanced for more than 2 tacks in shifty air.)
-Any kits like the sailworks, but better for some reason?
-I considered replacing the screws in the CL244s with some sort of quick-release bolt. This might be tricky, and I don't even know if appropriate bolts exist, especially for cheap.
-Better than quick-release bolts would be a cleat attached to a boom-sized cam clamp (like the chinook boom-head clamp), or maybe webbing with a cam/lever closure.
-I might try to see how cheaply I can copy the sailworks kit
Any other ideas? I am not opposed to jury-rigging!

Thanks for any ideas, and sorry if this boils down to something stupidly simple like "just buy the sailworks!",
Dev
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 9.0, I was in a similar thinking process. I bought a large boom and installed the full AO system on it. I tought I would need something on the medium boom but waited a bit.

Finally, my large boom covers my 6.0 and 7.5 too so if I want an AO, I use the large boom. And I appreciate having a clean medium boom that I can use when I prefer it like that. So the medium boom will stay AO free: no need for an extra or moveable system.

So I would upgrade to double sided without after-tought. If you buy a larger sail and boom, just try to transfer the kit first and see if it works for you too!
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sailworks kit is easy to use and is well thought out. It provides 4:1 on each side of the boom. (Read the instructions on the website.....http://www.sailworks.com/the-gear/lines/adjustable-outhaul-double-side.html ).

Since it attaches without nuts or any other mechanical bits, it would only take a couple of minutes to change it from boom to boom, but you could make another one with some time and effort, sourcing the parts and sewing up the webbing would be the challenge.

KMF
chaphal3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder: that's a good point; actually, My current boom would fit an average 8.5, but only at maximum extension, and it's pretty squishy at that length. But I'm thinking of switching over to the sailworks style anyway - the release control seems a little more elegant.

kmf: I saw that on their page, but in looking at it I see: 2:1 at the webbing buckle, 2:1 at the single block, and 2:1 at the tailpiece. Maybe they're only counting the ropes? I guess it depends on how smoothly that cam buckle operates - when you pull the end, are you moving the entire buckle and then tightening the webbing, or does the webbing slide smoothly through as if it's another pulley? I assumed the later, but if it's the former I could understand how that's basically 4:1 (but the webbing itself still needs enough material for 8:1, unless I'm still off in my thinking).

Right now I'm leaning toward sourcing the parts myself: I think a whole kit should be: two single blocks, two buckles, 14ish feet of 3mm dyneema, and some webbing - about $40; I guess that's not as much saving as I'd hoped, but I already have one of the blocks so it's only about $28 for me. Plus, if I was to repeat the setup for a smaller boom, I wouldn't be above replacing the blocks with simple shackles.

Thanks for the responses; they're quite helpful!
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the burgers. Instead use a double block at the clew, affixed to the sail with a bow or D shackle. That gives you an 8:1 system that doesn't cost too much, and having a setup on both booms is well worth the money. It's going to take lots of time--possibly in the middle of a great sesh--to move your system between booms. And if you need additional justification, just tell yourself that the additional range your systems provide eliminates the need to buy a couple of new sails.

To keep your clamcleats from sliding down the boom, I've had good luck taping on a thin patch of neoprene with electrical tape. You have to experiment some to get the right diameter, and you don't want to go too thick or you'll waller out the holes in the plastic straps. I try to build up the tape a little more towards the clew end, that way the plastic strap encounters a slight wedge if it tries to move down the boom, which in turn strengthens its purchase.
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we're not talking about huge loads here, so without having done the research, I'd speculate that you could save money by getting off-brand products. Alternatively, like most recreational equipment, the hardware you need has very little resale value, so I'd haunt CL, eBay, and the boneyard at your local yacht club to see what you can find. You'll probably have to buy the clamcleats new, but the blocks you need don't have to be any specific size, other than fairly small.
chaphal3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is a double block better than the burger? It seems you get more boom length and at least equal expense. Perhaps a block is more rigid than a burger, though? EDIT: left out "rigid"

I've actually had no problem with sliding, with a CL111 on a HPL hybrid slalom. I can see how it would ruin my day to lose a bunch of grip material though, thanks for advice.

I see what you mean about a mid session rerig - seems like it installation itself would take about 5 minutes, but adjustment could be another 10 for the new lengths. Plus I could always have my knots too tight to undo quickly. That's partly why I'm leaning toward homemade - like you said, we're not talking about a ton of force, especially with smaller sails. So, if I can get away with shackles instead of blocks and hardware store straps and buckles, the small boom system could be more like $15 total. (maybe shackles would even be smooth enough for a larger boom?)

Speaking of hardware store webbing, does anyone know what type of webbing you'd find in the kits? Is it just regular PP, and any special weave to it? I know the webbing will only be under 4:1 tension, so it doesn't need to be dyneema stiff, but I still don't want it to have any measurable stretch if possible. Do they even make webbing out any of those UHMW fibers? OK, I'm sure they do, but are they inexpensive and easy to find?

My current plan is to grab all the line I need, a block (or shackle) and a strap and build a rope setup on one side, leaving the CL244 on the other. Then I'll get a side by side comparison before I move forward.

Last edited by chaphal3 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaphal3- just sent you a PM. Check it out as I have extra adjustable outhaul kits you can have. Let me know if interested.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That strap doesn't look like it would be very friendly to your sail, boom or hands.

Coachg
chaphal3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
That strap doesn't look like it would be very friendly to your sail, boom or hands.

Coachg

I agree, I'll keep looking for something softer and lighter (1/2" might be more appropriate). I picked that as an example of the price range, and because that cam buckle looks to have a nicely rounded bar. I could always select a material and order the sailworks buckles, but it would be nice to have all the stitching done already. (I was thinking of making the entire rope/webbing loop out of webbing only, and using some shackle with a wide bar as the pulley.)

On that note, one could go the other way and make the entire loop out of rope, if only there was some sort of locking block for ropes that would replace the cam buckle. I doubt that the "rope ratchet" is going to be appropriate, but I'll try to find one in a store and play around with it. Of course sailing manufacturers also have ratcheting blocks that cost about the price of an AO system.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far! I know the thread's deviated a bit, but I get caught up in DIY projects for no reason on occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: