myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
big ezzys: rdm or sdm?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: big ezzys: rdm or sdm? Reply with quote

What is the best setup for 8.5 and 9.5 Ezzys? Thoughts on using the Ezzy 490 or a sdm of another brand that's currently available. I'd love to hear from folks that own these sails—the Cheetah or Lion in 8.5 and 9.5.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: big ezzys: rdm or sdm? Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
What is the best setup for 8.5 and 9.5 Ezzys? Thoughts on using the Ezzy 490 or a sdm of another brand that's currently available. I'd love to hear from folks that own these sails—the Cheetah or Lion in 8.5 and 9.5.

Have you considered emailing David Ezzy? Very friendly guy and can provide LOADS of information!

whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by all means, email Ezzy. I have Infinity's, 7.5 and 8.5. I use Powerex 100% carbon 460 and 490 masts for these sails. They work beautifully.

SDM's of same length are lighter then RDM's, as SDM's are made with less material.

I emailed Ezzy about this same issue when I got these sails, and the reply was (paraphrasing) that the Infinity/SDM combo would be "a sweet setup", and indeed it is.

Have fun with your sails, they are great.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Ezzy sails, LOVE THEM!

My Ezzy quiver is mostly complete with 4.5/5.0/5.5/6.9/7.5 to 8.5 Freeride V and 9.5 Lion. Rig all on RDM's, mostly Ezzy masts. Tried a few other sail brands and none TO ME feel as good as the Ezzys.

If you already have the masts, get the sails and try them. I hated the way my Ezzy 8.5 was rigged on an old NP 490 SDM (not a good match). You can probably find a really old thread by me about it. Once I got the Ezzy 490 for it, everything just clicked. I prefer RDM over SDM but that's a personal preference.
outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rigging the 8.5 Cheetah with an Ezzy 460 bottom and 490 top. Works pretty well so far but the sail just doesn't look right to me, seems floppy. I believe it's because the bottom 460 is too soft.
Even with this less than ideal setup the sail is AMAZING! Tonight I was powering off swells in pretty low winds, I'd say no more than 12mph as no white caps in sight, and had a great time on the 11'8 windsup. The orange/green colors glowed in the fading light, beautiful Zen-like experience and why we love this sport. I'm tempted to stay with an Ezzy mast adding the 490 bottom. I see no reason to deviate from the Ezzy recommended setup but I'd sure love to do a side-by-side comparison with a nice SDM in the conditions I ride in. I guess that's human nature, trust but verify.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dragging my feet buying a new mast for my 9.5 lion. I emailed Ezzy twice, the first time was before I purchased the 9.5 and Tim Ortleib from Ezzy recommended an SDM for the sail over the Ezzy RDM - I ended up just using the Powerex 30% carbon 490 flagpole I already owned. Recently I considered ordering a KA mast as they are light and reasonably priced - emailed Ezzy to see if the mast specs would match, the recommendation was to buy the Ezzy RDM. So, a bit inconsistent and I ended up just waiting - hoping someone would post on a thread like this and would say that they rigged their lion 9.5 with both and one or the other was better. That has not happened. I think I'll buy a new 70-100% SDM next spring, RDM in this size seems like an unnecessary compromise but without trying them back to back it is tough to know. Truth is that I might not be good enough to tell the difference anyway.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

range rider, that 30% carbon powerx is adequate, but step up on the carbon on the masts you use are the best bang for the buck in the WS business. next best step up is a really good molded fin. think about it, the back bone of your kit is both mast and fin. SDM's for flat water app's with widely ranging winds. RDM's for surf app's and trying to force the smallest size sail to work in the lightest of winds.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
I ended up just waiting - hoping someone would post on a thread like this and would say that they rigged their lion 9.5 with both and one or the other was better. That has not happened. .

Rangerider,
I previously posted that I rig my Infinity 7.5 and 8.5 on Powerex SDM's and they work beautifully. The Lion is the new name for what was the Infinity. basically the same two cam freerid sail. As I stated in my previous post, the guys at Ezzy recommended using SDM over RDM for these sails. I use Powerex 100% carbon masts which are super, super light. Luckily for me I got them just before the price of carbon went through the roof.

Perhaps you can get a good deal on a Powerex or Epic Gear (which I think have same bend curve as Powerex) 100% carbon masts. good luck.

oh, 460 for the 7.5, 490 for the 8.5. I know that I don't have 9.5 but the 8.5 is very, very close.

also, both of these sails came with cams and cam pockets pre-installed that were sized for the SDM mast.

one other thing, I'm not sure that your replies from Ezzy were all that inconsistent. I think they recommended their RDM over the KA mast because the KA mast wouldn't work as well as their RDM. That issue is not an RDM vs. SDM issue, it's a KA mast versus Ezzy mast issue. The RDM vs SDM issue is completely different, in my estimation and they told both you and I that an SDM would work better for the big 2 cam sails a few years apart. That's consistent, is it not?
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I love my Ezzys and think that their customer service and replies to email enquiries is excellent so don't get me wrong. I have a high carbon mast for my lion 7.5 and it is a huge improvement. I do have a molded carbon fin for the Ultrasonic that I use with the 9.5. The reason it is a bit inconsistent is that the KA SDM fits the recommended specs for this sail perfectly according to Ezzy so I was thinking they would tell me to go for it but instead they recommended the Ezzy RDM - which I'm sure is a good mast. In any case I think for my use with basically a big slalom board on a lake I am going to get a new 70-80% SDM.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think that they would recommend a mast from a mast company, but not one from a competing sail company.

anyway, have fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: