myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
harnesses, fixed or sliding bar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true at all about sliders being for long reach flat water only. I sail Cali waves mostly. The slider is what I need and like. The slide is only about 1.5" in either direction so its not like you can't get hooked in if the hook is slid over. You just got to use your hips. Sounds like the gorge sailors could use some salsa lessons to get those hips loosened up. I've never had a problem getting hooked in quick whether its between peaks going out. After a monster crash in the surf zone. Or even between sections on the wave. I see plenty of guys who rip waves who are slider guys. In my opinion it is especially important in waves when you spend so much time slogging in the surf zone. The slider allows you to hook in and crank upwind while slogging way better. Maybe the limitations of the fixed hook are less magnified in the gorge where you sail higher wind and don't have to focus on staying upwind.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
in the gorge where you sail higher wind and don't have to focus on staying upwind.

We wish that rumor were true. "The Gorge" is >200 miles long, with a very wide array of conditions even in west winds.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer a sliding bar, but any of Dakine's harnesses are able to go back and forth between the two styles with retrofit kits. So, it's really a non issue. Get the harness that fits the best, then sort out the details of fixed vs sliding after that. Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
Gazman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably sounds weird to some but I sail with a double hook spreader bar which I have been using since around 1987!

Created back in the 80's by Andrew McDougall, head designer for KA sails, the idea is to use the back hook when sailing (the hook closest to clew end of sail) which allows you to face your hips and body forward, much the same as you can with a sliding hook. Great after a gybe where the back hook is perfectly aligned with the harness line so you don't have to twist your body to hook in (unlike sliding bars which as mentioned before leave the hook on the other side of the harness after the gybe).
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazman wrote:
Probably sounds weird to some but I sail with a double hook spreader bar which I have been using since around 1987!

Created back in the 80's by Andrew McDougall, head designer for KA sails, the idea is to use the back hook when sailing (the hook closest to clew end of sail) which allows you to face your hips and body forward, much the same as you can with a sliding hook. Great after a gybe where the back hook is perfectly aligned with the harness line so you don't have to twist your body to hook in (unlike sliding bars which as mentioned before leave the hook on the other side of the harness after the gybe).

Interesting...got any pictures??

Gazman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Wouldn't bother asking AMAC (KA designer) if he has any left as I popped the question to him late last year and he's down to one!

IMG_1014.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  341.45 KB
 Viewed:  12940 Time(s)

IMG_1014.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar challenge, slightly different solution: I sometimes sailed with two bars in the '80s, one high on a chest harness and one low on a minimalist butt bucket, so I could change my stance to rotate the muscles used on loooong reaches in looooooong sessions on looooooooooong days.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to buy another DaKine sliding bar conversion kit for my waist harness the other day.
"Sorry no more in stock, I checked the DaKine '14 catalogue, and they are not making them anymore".

The Surfseat, a great harness, which was a slider, has been history for about 5 years now, and now the converter is history as well.
Us slider fans are being left out in the weeds. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: