myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Near Miss at Sherman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Near Miss at Sherman Reply with quote

I was sailing back towards the Play Pen at Sherman when two jet skis were coming down the river ahead and up wind of me. Both jet skis turned towards the Play Pen in front of me so I decided to pinch up wind of them. I was going to clear them by 50 feet when the trailing jet ski suddenly turned up wind to his right while looking over his left shoulder towards the beach. Too late to turn down wind without T-boning him so I pinch harder up wind & yell at the top of my lungs. That shook him out of his trance and he quickly veered back to his left. I didn't realize how close the encounter was until I saw the video.

https://vimeo.com/73600292

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was implied a couple of weeks ago, PWC represent the epitome of robotic steering. At least on dirt bikes the robot gets painfuil feedback shortly after inserting his head into his rectum.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a jet skier go between me and the boat towing me while waterskiing. I calmly threw the rope and came to a stop. The husband/boyfriend had to explain to his female companion what she had done-she was clueless (not against women here; could just as easily been a male).
BTW when jet skiers buy a new jet ski, they warn them one of the most common causes of injury is running into another jet ski, e.g. your buddy!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki came out with an almost revolutionary high-performance jet ski back in the mid 90s. Two of the first production run were sold in New Mexico, where PWCs are a big deal. The very next weekend one of them sliced the other one in two.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an oblivious jetskier come right at me with the operator facing backwards steering blind while he was waving to his buddies on the beach.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary thing is they only need to be 16 to operate a jet ski and no training required! At popular vacation places they rent them out to anybody.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
... an oblivious jetskier ....

Is there another kind?

That's not fair. I've seen two or three who took their responsibilities seriously. One of them was evicted from the Hatchery on a big day by the Sheriff simply because of the threat a big, heavy, fast, maneuverable vehicle posed there.
cruzanboard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From years of sailing (since age 10) I am convinced that the definition of "near miss" is different for different boaters. Motorboaters (PWC included) seem to think that 'too close' is only defined when collision occurs. This is due to lack of training. Only when collision or injury occurs does the lesson become learned. My alert goes on whenever I see a PWC. I just assume they are idiots and steer as clear as I can. Fortunately, there are not too many at Sherman.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Kawasaki came out with an almost revolutionary high-performance jet ski back in the mid 90s. Two of the first production run were sold in New Mexico, where PWCs are a big deal. The very next weekend one of them sliced the other one in two.

Sounds about right. I remember reading once that at a time (long ago) when there were only 3 cars registered in all of New York state, that two of them had a collision in NYC.

seems like there is nothing new under the sun.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Two of Three Autos Colliding in Ohio Reply with quote

Interesting. I heard the same story in Ohio. Driver's Education as I remember. When there were only three cars in Ohio, two of them collided. Now I am wondering if it was even true.........

Sounds like a good story gone viral before there was a viral...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: