myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Early planing difference between 11.9 Race and 10.0 FreeRide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorofareken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Race sails can plane as early as free-ride sails if you want to be a really active sailor, meaning you are willing and able to do a lot of pumping. If you are a passive planer, meaning you let the wind pull you onto a plane, than the freeride sail will plane much earlier. Iso's explained the technical reasons for this.

Coachg

isobars wrote:
Which will plane earlier ... a pumped race sail or a pumped free-ride of the same size?

Thoughts anyone?
thorofareken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

a large and extremely experienced expert sailor PM’d this to me:
“when sailing really big stuff (a 6.8 feels small to me), the physics of sailing hooked without straps become far more dangerous. masts are taller, booms longer etc.”
I’ve never sailed anything bigger than a 7.5, so if a 10 is really a different, not merely larger, animal, beware when considering or trying my suggestions above. OTOH, he always advises against hooking in before strapping in on any gear, so I’m not sure which paradigm is driving his concerns. If your breezes are steady thermal sea breezes, my methods may be worth trying. If you get gusts, you should probably tend towards his cautions.

Either way, this Neil Pryde T-Boom Protector may be of use:

I use DaKine’s Formula Mast Pad, but they’re now “out of print”.

Mike \m/

Yeah, too bad about Dakine's Formula mast pad going away. I have one also. The time I catapulted and damaged the "beasts" railing, the mast hit just below the pad. So now I use 2 mast pads to protect the entire mast/board below the boom. I found this replacement:

http://www.surf-store.com/ion-mast-board-protector-2013/

It actually seems to be better made then the Dakine, but I have only found them outside of the US, so with shipping and everything is around $75. Worth it if it keeps rail and nose damage to a minimum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: