myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tight battens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardMueller

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Tight battens Reply with quote

How can you tell if your battens are too tight or too loose? What is the right setting?
norcom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see wrinkles around the battens they're too loose. If your battens are S shaped, they're too tight. If you have no battens, your sail's too old. Smile

Most manufacturers have videos/instructions on how to tune their sails.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right setting is to tighten your battens until the wrinkles along the batten on the sail are gone. Do not go beyond this point.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The right setting is to tighten your battens until the wrinkles along the batten on the sail are gone. Do not go beyond this point.

I tend to add just maybe a little bit more of tension on the bottom 2 battens. Maybe one more full turn.

-Kevin

konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out all of the guess work. Find the rigging guide for your sail, and read it. The sail designer knows best. Don't assume that what is right for one sail is right for another sail.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sails with tube battens sometimes have a wrinkle where the rod enters the tube, don't worry about this wrinkle as long as the rest are taken out.
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month ago I would have agreed with the just tension to remove wrinkles idea. Bought some used north sails and didn't like them out of the bag.

Watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2SzYLo14p8 on rigging the North. Batten tensioning starts at about 5 mins in. Made a big difference. BTW my Norths like to be way more downhauled then any of my previous sails. Most people, like if I saw them rigged for the first time, would say that's too much downhaul. But that's what works for me with these sails. BTW they're North Dukes. Work well now.

Doesn't mean every sail needs this type of tensioning but tensioning doesn't seem that simple anymore. One of the things I'm experimenting with is how much "S" curve force I want on the lower batten. More immediate shape vs. the need to "pop" the batten.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of sail is it? It really does matter as different sails use widely varying amounts of batten tension.

Let us know and more detailed advice can follow.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of sail is it? It really does matter as different sails use widely varying amounts of batten tension.

Let us know and more detailed advice can follow.

mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is right, the sail type matters a lot. But all sails should have progressive twist. The bottom 2, and sometimes three battens, should form the pocket and be wrinkle free. When you have the boom attached, but no tension on the outhaul, you should be able to pick up the tail of the boom and see the sail progressively twist. Each batten should be a little bit lower. For the battens above the boom, the amount of wrinkle in the sail is much less important than the progressive twist--which makes the sail user friendly in puffs.

Each sail designer has their own "wrinkle", so read the manual, and talk to the fastest sailor at your launch and get him or her to look at your sail and suggest rigging changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: