myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Experience with JP Explorer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Experience with JP Explorer? Reply with quote

Has anyone here tried one? Seems like it might be a great option for someone like me who is looking for something to progress on, but I haven't been able to find much online about them.

http://jp-australia.com/2013/products/boards/explorer/#product-long-description
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it? No, but it sure looks like a good idea. So good it's been done before. Google and/or ask around about the Fanatic Viper. Here's a start: http://www.fanatic.com/content/products/windsurfboards/viper
Thurston

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis! That does appear to be very similar, but with higher volume options. I'll take a look for more info on the Viper as well.
Thurston

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis! That does appear to be very similar, but with higher volume options. I'll take a look for more info on the Viper as well.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start a new thread as well. The Viper has been around for several years, I believe; somebody should have some experience with it.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried that board but seriously considered the Viper before buying my board a few years ago.

I had decided that I wanted a board that would be interesting to sail off the plane too, not only a progressive board used as a stepping stone to shortboarding.

With this in mind, and various board trials, I realized I wanted something less than 80 cm wide to enhance the glide. I also realized that the longer the better for the glide, same thing with volume. Raceboard could fit the bill but learned that they can be tricky to use on the plane, in the straps, if you are not experienced.

I settled for a Kona One and I'm very happy with my choice. I think it's the best all-purpose board on the market. I also learned to use the harness, plane, footsteer, use the straps and waterstart with it. I'm now working on the carve jibes with it.

If you don't like the flowers, the Exocet WindSUP or RRD Longrider and a newer Starboard WindSUP could be good choices too. If the lenght is a problem for storage or transportation, the JP or Fanatic are probably great too. They just won't have the same glide when off-the-plane.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with JP Explorer? Reply with quote

Thurston wrote:
Has anyone here tried one? Seems like it might be a great option for someone like me who is looking for something to progress on, but I haven't been able to find much online about them.

http://jp-australia.com/2013/products/boards/explorer/#product-long-description

unfortunately boards like the Explorer get very little attention because they are not considered sexy, which is a major problem with this sport imho. To me, nothing is more silly or stupid than someone on gear that is beyond their ability.
I'd rather be on a big ass board and sail well then struggle and be flailing on something too small. What fun is that?
In looking at the board it appears JP has made it narrower and longer than the Funster. The trade off would be not as forgiving and stable but more upside potential for a progressing rider. The conditions you sail in and of course your size and ability all come into play as well.
If you're a bigger guy, say 200 lbs or over and sail in chop or swell it probably wouldn't be a great choice. If you are lighter, like in the 160-180 range and sail in flatwater
then it would probably be a great choice. Of course these are very broad generalizations. I do like the fact that it has nice length for gliding and fore-aft stability.
The Viper and SB Rios are nice boards too.
I also agree with a longboard as a possibility too.
The Kona and Exocet windsup are really versatile boards that you could keep for a long time.
I also love how they have a professional 120-130lb
female riding it in the video, it just looks so easy doesn't it?
Good luck.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids sailed the JP Funsters quite a bit over the years in Cabarete. I sailed them too - mostly when I had to get the boards back upwind to Vela.

The Explorer seems to be narrower and a bit longer than the Funster, so maybe not quite as stable, but they will probably track better.

The main problem I had with the Funster was that they were very heavy - I never saw one plane, although I'm sure it's possible.

Hopefully, the Explorer is lighter. I think to go beyond being a beginner-only board, it would have to be substantially lighter.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article from 2009 about beginner/transitional boards. Fanatic has increased the Viper range from 3 to 4 sizes since then. JP's "new concept" looks very much like the two smaller Vipers.
http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/group-test/soft-tops-freerides-jan-2009.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: