myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail repair in MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npiankov

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Sail repair in MA? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need to fix the luff sleeve on a sail. I've always asked Gerta for help, but she seems to be getting out of the business. Any other local options someone could suggest? My other options are using iron-on or sending it back to the manufacturer, but shipping is pretty costly.

Thanks. Nikita.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff cabral can di repairs
Phil at inland sea can give you his contact info
he is in orleans
angulo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre farther north , contact Matt, service department manager at Doyle sails in Swampscott.. He's a windsurfer and can repair/ make sails
GeoffC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nikita,
Give me a call (774)722-4973 or you can drop the sail off at Phil's @ Inland Sea if it is more convenient. I often pick up and drop off to Phil. I am in Orleans. Thanks
Geoff Cabral
GSC Marine
www.gscmarine.com
npiankov

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. I don't go to the Cape much these days and rarely all the way to Orleans. For now, I decided to fix it up with some iron-on cloth. If this falls apart in a few sessions, then maybe I will find the time to travel down there.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikita, do you care to share what iron on cloth you used to repair the sail sleeve? I have a similar tear that I need to fix up..
npiankov

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using this thing: http://www.sailrite.com/Insignia-Adhesive-Backed-UV-Dacron-14

Seems to stick pretty well, especially after your iron it. Most of their stuff is white - hope you got a white luff! Or, if your hole is big enough, you can try to fit the patch inside (have to do it carefully to make sure it doesn't stick where it's not supposed to, including to itself). Fortunately for me, my luff is white, so I put a patch on both sides.
windswell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Mast sleeve sail repair Reply with quote

I've used iron-on denim patches which lasted about 6 sessions. Insignia cloth wouldn't stick to my mast sleeve, but does work well on film and flat dacron elsewhere on the sail.
Fabri-Tac adhesive by Beacon adhesives has worked great on sleeve where the iron-on patch fell off. 9 sessions so far and no peel. I put a mast upside down in the sleeve (tear is close to top) to fill out the sleeve, then laundry marker about one inch around the hole. Cut a piece of fabric the size of your marked hole. 2-side tape wax paper on the mast so oozing glue doesn't stick everything together. Then Fabri-Tac on patch and some on sleeve, work quickly, it sets fast. Very flexible.

Store bottle upside down. It'll ooze a little from the cap, but doesn't dry out. It's probably an acetone base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: