myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
oahu sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I sail Kailua no matter what month out of the year it seems I'm either on a 160 L with a 7.0 or a 8.0 or the Naish Nalu 11'4" with a 5.7 sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwill808 wrote:
peaks season on oahu or maui,,, surf or wind season

The topic is sailing.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented from the Naish Shop in Kailua at the end of July this year. Lovely 2013 gear in great condition. I rented wave gear to sail the South Shore, but the other people I saw renting were renting flat water gear for Kailua Bay.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 lbs'er get little love on Oahu.
Winds more likely 12-20 than anything else, meaning 5.5 for me is fine, but 7.0 for you with 120 liter board.
Backyards, OopulaSt., is easy windsurfing, even if the swell is 12' at Sunset, as 'yards has the biggest channel on the NorthShore, between Velzyland and 'yards break.
Don't know your actual windsurfing level, but I'm advanced, have surfsailed everywhere on the WestCoast S of FaceRock, and most of the spots I've sailed are not anywhere near intermediate shortboarders, or confirmed flatwater riders.
CrouchingLion.
Hokelau..BrighamYoungBeach.
Maaleakahana, just W.
7th Hole, off the golf course nowadaze.
TurtleBayHilton, E side.
Revelations.
Yards.,
Now illegal to sail Sunset thru Wiamea, so MariJ's is still OK.
Illegal to sail Chums or Lanikai, Jocko's or that area.
So it's Avalance to the left of Haliewa and Moks (Lost beach).
On the E side, Kailua blows on rainstorms usually strong (20-30).
Didn't sail Kaneohe due to access restriction.
Intercontinental, or Blackpoint Hilton has a nice left, but you need to tack out thru the channel and back a few times to get upwind....need to be able to tack around pole markers...
Brownies just N of DH. DH.
We sailed the little pond N of Brownies by about 1.5 miles, and a narrow hole in the reef get's you out to the SuperFerry Channel.
Takeoff strip at the Airport, so check it out upon landing...flat water, offshore winds.
Yokohama is side off, cove beach, some backwash, but the right's are surfsailable.
MaeliPt just down from Makaha.
bwill808

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
200 lbs'er get little love on Oahu.
Winds more likely 12-20 than anything else, meaning 5.5 for me is fine, but 7.0 for you with 120 liter board.
Backyards, OopulaSt., is easy windsurfing, even if the swell is 12' at Sunset, as 'yards has the biggest channel on the NorthShore, between Velzyland and 'yards break.
Don't know your actual windsurfing level, but I'm advanced, have surfsailed everywhere on the WestCoast S of FaceRock, and most of the spots I've sailed are not anywhere near intermediate shortboarders, or confirmed flatwater riders.
CrouchingLion.
Hokelau..BrighamYoungBeach.
Maaleakahana, just W.
7th Hole, off the golf course nowadaze.
TurtleBayHilton, E side.
Revelations.
Yards.,
Now illegal to sail Sunset thru Wiamea, so MariJ's is still OK.
Illegal to sail Chums or Lanikai, Jocko's or that area.
So it's Avalance to the left of Haliewa and Moks (Lost beach).
On the E side, Kailua blows on rainstorms usually strong (20-30).
Didn't sail Kaneohe due to access restriction.
Intercontinental, or Blackpoint Hilton has a nice left, but you need to tack out thru the channel and back a few times to get upwind....need to be able to tack around pole markers...
Brownies just N of DH. DH.
We sailed the little pond N of Brownies by about 1.5 miles, and a narrow hole in the reef get's you out to the SuperFerry Channel.
Takeoff strip at the Airport, so check it out upon landing...flat water, offshore winds.
Yokohama is side off, cove beach, some backwash, but the right's are surfsailable.
MaeliPt just down from Makaha.

Sounded like the OWT Oahu Windsurfing Tour. Yards in the peak is heaviest windsurfing spot there is, the wind is ultra gusty & lulling.

Forgot about the east side it blows onshore 90 % of the year with swarms of jelly fish, 7th hole big left super on shore how did that turn out with the million jelly fishes

Broke my 430 mast so I am dam good at slogging at 5.2 with a 95 liter FSW in 8 knots. Already surf good so no learning curve after I got the sail control down. I sail the Oregon coast in south wind 10 mph so i can wave sail in my natural foot.

You still on Oahu >?? got some extra gear ,, I could probly find some under a house sailing is deader than dead when I left in 2010
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been back since '93. I left over 10 boards, 25 sails, 10 masts, 6 booms, a quiver of CortGion semi guns from 6'8" thru 9' at one of the beach cottages two blocks E of that beach park next to the Intercontinental or BlackPointHilton.
Boards include a couple of PriesterBuilts, 9' and 8'8", HyperTeck 8'8" and 8'4", more than 5 Haut chop hopper's and pure waves, FederickEskimo's 3 custom wave boards, two TomCastleton (backyards) pure wave boards, a Shredder, a Stinger, and some I forgot.
I worked at a windsurf shop, so got either comp or 40 below wholesale on most of those boards. Hauts, I was one of his 2 team riders, and ordered well over 100 for the shop I worked for, so get them for less than wholesale on a surfboard.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtab - after sailing and surfing all those sweet spots on all those sweet boards, how in the hell do you settle down at Berkeley Marina? Unlike Iso, I know you know there are no waves in the Marina and those rarified swells that come in off jetty near the launch don't count.

Don't get me wrong, I know you are like a 110 years old and have a kick ass 27 year old girl friend... You get props just for that.

But Berkeley Marina? With your history, sailing Berkeley must be more frustrating than golf.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine, windsurfing at Berkeley.....gliding like a skimming seagull over the brown chop, occasionally getting a shoulder high jump on port tack, chumming with the race crowd, sailing relaxed and carefree, smiling at all the beginners, and taking it easy late in life. I seldom ride slalom gear, as freeride gear works just fine for old folkes and those of us who can't run, due to injuries.
As you know, wave sailing is worth the drive maybe one in 5 trips out to the coast from It's Beach up to Limantour. I've logged over 20 days at It's, 3 at SwiftSt., 5 or so at Nats, surfsailed 4 mile (my local beach when I was just a surfer, a dozen at Dav, mostly N reef on big days when Wads is closing out, half a doz at Scotts...where I've found two dead bodies, Greyhound on both sides, hundreds at Wads, 2 at SecondReefAno...rather illegal now, 2 at the cattlegate just N of Ano...sharky vibe, Gazo's a bunch, PigeonLighthouse both sides, ArroyoFrijoles, Pesca, Pomp, and Greg, 5 at Martins, one in front of the pre Ritz, KellySt., Venice, JeffClark's house, Breakwater, inside the Breakwater, in front of Distillery, Montara, Pedro, SharpPark, OcreanBeach lots, Cronk on S's, PelicanInn, Stinson, Agate, Palo (over 50 days), it goes on even more up N.......
But that get's boring and tiring after countless skunks. Hard to find side off steady winds and head high swells, that combo exists less than anyone'd really believe. Davs is good mostly, I hate that wave, the slog in and out, the packed crowd just like surfing days pre '80's.
I find it more refreshing to be the explorer rather than the sheep. I surfed Sloat at OceanBeach every day it was good from '66 thru '69.
I was one of the first 3 to sail extensively at OB, starting in fall of '83.
Along with JohnChilds, ColinGift, and GlennSchot, we discovered Oyster, Tigers (now Haskins), and Sierra, in 1983.
It's all old hat now, and while 3 spots on the Marin coast still haven't been sailed/surfed, with good waves and favorible winds, the challenge just doesn't excite the senses anymore, the long drives, the skunks, the iffy conditions, it's best left to the younger generation.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Lee, you've sailed a ton of spots in Oahu. Seems like most of us stick to well known spots where other people also sail.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've taken a short diversion, I thought I could venture an off topic comment.

Coming from a dedicated surfing scene like LeeD, we can often have this exploration side to our personalities where we want to escape the crowd and strike out for that perfect session where we can be one with nature. In windsurfing, I've done a bit of exploring over the years, often sailing alone with no one else around. Much of it not that far away from the local spots. Sometimes you can even do that at the regular local spot just by sailing upwind a mile or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: