myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sheared Euro pin -- how remove from extension?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your comments, you appear to be quite upset with Chinook for selling products that lack integrity. Frankly, everyone has a right to their opinions, but I think that you are being a bit harsh and unfair in your view, particularly how you're voicing it here on the forum.

First, for a person that feels that your life is being threatened, you are using designs that are not really the best out there. From your photos, I'm getting the impression that both your hourglass and mechanical failed at the screw interface and not the Europin component. To be safe as you want to be, you should be using Chinook's SS tendon universal because there is no screw involved, since the Europin side of the universal (above the tendon) is machined out of a single piece of SS. While you could buy a universal from a different brand, all of them are subject to the kind of failure you've experienced, because the pin is screwed into another component. Believe me, I've heard of other brands having the same exact problem.

Regarding stainless steel, it might surprise you, but it is not an alloy that is impervious to rust. Once SS loses its surface passivation, there can be exposed ferrites that will rust or show signs of rust staining. Of course, there are different grades of SS, but each is formulated to balance out different performance properties. When it really comes down to it, it's the user's responsibility to monitor the condition of the products they use. However, when a failure is untoward, or when it happens to a brand new product, you usually have a warranty to fall back on.

In your comments, I get the impression that when you buy something, it must be perfect in every way. That's not realistic, and that's why most responsible manufacturers offer a warranty to cover products they make that fail or do not fulfill their fitness for an intended purpose. Moreover, I find it surprising that you feel that Chinook has not jumped through all the hoops you expect, especially since your problem only occurred last month. And, what's with the accusations of dishonesty and the other unsavory things that you suggest? It appears to me that you need to come back down to earth and be a bit more sensible. Speaking for myself, I would like to hear Chinook's side of the story.

Lastly, the sport of windsurfing involves certain inherent risks, and some of that means that the equipment that we use can break or fail unexpectedly. As windsurfers, we need to accept that fact every day that we sail. You might want to revisit the idea of sailing out only as far as you're willing to swim in.
Waveseeker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not that complicated, sw. It's a defective product that puts riders' lives in jeopardy. Try filing your warranty claim from the great surf break in the sky.

By the way, a warranty claim is not the only means of redress. We're dealing with a defective product that gives rise to all sorts of product liability claims. So, if some tragedy does befall one of the riders out there (which you seem to be quite comfortable with based on all the apologist arguments) Chinook will be defending a wrongful death action brought by the surviving spouse, mother, daughter, etc.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So, if some tragedy does befall one of the riders out there (which you seem to be quite comfortable with based on all the apologist arguments) Chinook will be defending a wrongful death action brought by the surviving spouse, mother, daughter, etc."

What makes you think that I'm comfortable with folks getting hurt or dying?

Man, you need to chill out a bit, and begin to work on developing a better attitude.
Waveseeker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, S-dubya, you've taken the thread full circle. You started with ad hominen attack and you're still at it.

Maybe we can regroup. Chinook's europin rubber universal joint ("hourglass" UJ, as you call it) is susceptible to shearing. I found that to be the case with three different models of Chinook's europin UJs. See pics above.

When I reported my incident to Chinook, they already knew about it. Since then, another rider reported getting in trouble due to a similar issue. So far, Chinook has not even warned the community of the product defect.

But, S-dubya, here's the good news. Because you're such a prolific online commentator, maybe you and I have managed to bring some degree of exposure to Chinook's product defect and averted unpleasantness for others. That's the real goal, right? Well, not sure what you're working towards actually. But, it doesn't matter. Keep, posting brother!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: