myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
nw30 wrote:
What's that Dan Hicks song you always like to bring up?
Oh yeah, "I scare myself".

NAZIS, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

That's the stupid left, doubling down on the same mentality that lost them this election, and much more. They are completely out of touch with the WORKING people.

Nope asking begging the Russians to interfere with our election and being briefed he got his wish and lying about it and now we discover more is not winning it is asking for the communists to attack america and they did. Trump needs to be put on trial now for aiding and abetting the enemy.

Hey Matty how much are you paid to troll? trust fund boy....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/russian-propaganda-effort-helped-spread-fake-news-during-election-experts-say/2016/11/24/793903b6-8a40-4ca9-b712-716af66098fe_story.html?wpisrc=nl_az_most

Quote:
Russia’s increasingly sophisticated propaganda machinery — including thousands of botnets, teams of paid human “trolls,” and networks of websites and social-media accounts — echoed and amplified right-wing sites across the Internet as they portrayed Clinton as a criminal hiding potentially fatal health problems and preparing to hand control of the nation to a shadowy cabal of global financiers. The effort also sought to heighten the appearance of international tensions and promote fear of looming hostilities with nuclear-armed Russia.

Two teams of independent researchers found that the Russians exploited American-made technology platforms to attack U.S. democracy at a particularly vulnerable moment, as an insurgent candidate harnessed a wide range of grievances to claim the White House. The sophistication of the Russian tactics may complicate efforts by Facebook and Google to crack down on “fake news,” as they have vowed to do after widespread complaints about the problem.

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad commentary, and actually, pretty darn scary when so many get their "fake news" and their "misleading, incomplete, bias news" from sources like face book.

It's even a sadder commentary that US History is going by the way side in the US educational system, likely brought on by the leftist, public educational system.

Point being, that the expanding divide between the right and left is being exacerbated more and more by the major as well as social media. It's unfortunate that the general public can't get an accurate outline of what both the right and left truly want for their constituents. I guess the real issue is that left and maybe to some extent the right, are afraid to lay all their cards on the table, for fear that they will lose rather than gain support - i.e. "hidden agendas". I do believe that the right is more forthcoming with their agenda than the left, and I am sure that the left sees just the opposite.

Nevertheless, a huge number of US voters are likely politically uneducated and have been mislead by the media. There is honest news out there, but it takes time to find it.

For example, this was sent to me by a friend that he got off Social Media:

Quote:
Obama Admin Fines Police Department For Not Hiring Non-Citizens

Denver County’s sheriff office has been slapped with a fine by the Department of Justice (DOJ) because it refused to hire non-citizens as deputies.

From the beginning of 2015 through last March, the Denver Sheriff Department went on a major hiring binge, adding more than 200 new deputies. But those jobs ended up only going to citizens, because the department made citizenship a stated requirement on the job application. The department admitted as much in a new settlement with the U.S. government, which requires it to pay a $10,000 fine.

The department will also have to comb through all of its job applications from the past two years, identifying immigrants who were excluded from the hiring process and giving them due consideration.“Eliminating this unlawful citizenship requirement will help ensure that the Denver Sheriff Department hires the best and most qualified individuals to protect and serve,” DOJ Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta said in a statement. “The entire community will benefit from these reforms.”

It implied that maybe illegals were in this group, so I decided to do some searching and found this about the same story:

Quote:
Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, employers are required to give equal treatment to non-citizens with valid work permits, unless state, local, or federal law explicitly requires certain jobs be open only to citizens. More than 40 U.S. states currently have laws that in some capacity restrict non-citizens from being police, but Colorado is not one of them. The department says it was simply unaware that limiting employment to citizens was a violation of federal law.

This has always been my complaint, that many stories from the media are incomplete because of what I believe is bias in the reporting. Yes, this shows bias from the right, but maybe not the media, but from a righty spinning the news to suit their beliefs.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
It's a sad commentary, and actually, pretty darn scary when so many get their "fake news" and their "misleading, incomplete, bias news" from sources like face book.

It's even a sadder commentary that US History is going by the way side in the US educational system, likely brought on by the leftist, public educational system.

Point being, that the expanding divide between the right and left is being exacerbated more and more by the major as well as social media. It's unfortunate that the general public can't get an accurate outline of what both the right and left truly want for their constituents. I guess the real issue is that left and maybe to some extent the right, are afraid to lay all their cards on the table, for fear that they will lose rather than gain support - i.e. "hidden agendas". I do believe that the right is more forthcoming with their agenda than the left, and I am sure that the left sees just the opposite.

Nevertheless, a huge number of US voters are likely politically uneducated and have been mislead by the media. There is honest news out there, but it takes time to find it.

For example, this was sent to me by a friend that he got off Social Media:

Quote:
Obama Admin Fines Police Department For Not Hiring Non-Citizens

Denver County’s sheriff office has been slapped with a fine by the Department of Justice (DOJ) because it refused to hire non-citizens as deputies.

From the beginning of 2015 through last March, the Denver Sheriff Department went on a major hiring binge, adding more than 200 new deputies. But those jobs ended up only going to citizens, because the department made citizenship a stated requirement on the job application. The department admitted as much in a new settlement with the U.S. government, which requires it to pay a $10,000 fine.

The department will also have to comb through all of its job applications from the past two years, identifying immigrants who were excluded from the hiring process and giving them due consideration.“Eliminating this unlawful citizenship requirement will help ensure that the Denver Sheriff Department hires the best and most qualified individuals to protect and serve,” DOJ Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta said in a statement. “The entire community will benefit from these reforms.”

It implied that maybe illegals were in this group, so I decided to do some searching and found this about the same story:

Quote:
Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, employers are required to give equal treatment to non-citizens with valid work permits, unless state, local, or federal law explicitly requires certain jobs be open only to citizens. More than 40 U.S. states currently have laws that in some capacity restrict non-citizens from being police, but Colorado is not one of them. The department says it was simply unaware that limiting employment to citizens was a violation of federal law.

This has always been my complaint, that many stories from the media are incomplete because of what I believe is bias in the reporting. Yes, this shows bias from the right, but maybe not the media, but from a righty spinning the news to suit their beliefs.

too funny the police do not know the law....

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad price this pro immigration bureaucrat had to pay so he could floow the party line.

After Rape and Murder of EU Official’s Teen Daughter
Maria LadenburgerMaria Ladenburger / Facebook
by OLIVER JJ LANE
4 Dec 2016

The investigation into the October rape and murder of a young woman in Germany has seen a significant development after the major operation led to the arrest of a 17 year old Afghan “refugee”.
The body of 19 year old medical student and migrant home volunteer Maria Ladenburger was discovered in a river in the town of Freiburg on the 16th of October. An investigation determined the daughter of a senior European Commission lawyer had been raped, and then drowned.

She was a liberal volunteer helping refugees
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes as no surprise to those who have been paying attention that public schools, particularly in the South, have re-segregated. Trump's choice for Education Secretary, whether intentionally or not, is likely to increase this trend. Here's how charter schools have done:

Quote:
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – When the charter school system was first proposed and developed two decades ago, it was heralded, in part, as a promising means of achieving classroom diversity. However, the incidence of racial isolation in those schools is strikingly higher than in traditional public schools, according to a Penn State researcher.

“I'm not surprised that segregation exists in charter schools, but I’m a bit surprised at how extensive it is,” states Erica Frankenberg, assistant professor of educational leadership.

“One of the claims of charter schools was that they would pull students across boundary lines, thereby increasing integration,” Frankenberg says. “Among non-charter public schools, district boundary lines are a major contributor to segregation.”

As of 2009, 40 states as well as the District of Columbia have passed legislation authorizing charter schools. Frankenberg’s findings show that, in fifteen states, nearly 70% of the black students in charter schools are attending hypersegregated schools, which are defined as having at least a 90 percent minority population. In four of those states, 90% of black students attend hypersegregated schools.

These percentages have remained quite steady since 2000. They far surpass the percentages of black students who are enrolled in similarly segregated educational environments in traditional public schools: 36% of black students in non-charter public schools were in 90-100% minority schools.

Charter schools have been booming. Since 2001, overall enrollment in these schools has nearly tripled to more than a million students. Correspondingly, there has been a nearly threefold growth in the number of black students who are attending hypersegregated charter schools.

After two decades, the promise of integrated charter schools has not held up. It might be that, in some instances, school choice is actually a deterrent to integration.

Frankenberg recently co-authored an article titled “Choice Without Equity: Charter School Segregation,” which appears in the journal Educational Policy Analysis Archives. Her co-authors, Genevieve Siegel-Hawley and Jia Wang, are Frankenberg’s former colleagues at The Civil Rights Project at UCLA. The researchers show that, in the charter schools, concentrations of low-income students overlap with concentrations of minority students. “In other words, instead of policy offering parents a real choice out of high-poverty, racially isolated schools, charter schools simply intensify patterns of isolation prevalent among traditional public schools,” write the authors.

“What's also somewhat unusual is how there are pockets of white segregation in charter schools together with the extensive segregation of minority students, particularly blacks,” says Frankenberg.

“We still have a segregated, unequal society,” Frankenberg continues. “And since choice systems presume full information and knowledge about options as well as equal resources to be able to attend a school—without some policies that specifically try to address the inequality that exists like some magnet schools have done—it's unlikely that, at the very least, charter schools won't be segregated.”

Magnet schools, as opposed to charter schools, are part of the regular public school system, explains Frankenberg. “Traditionally, magnet schools were begun as a way to allow choice but comply with school desegregation orders,” she says. “Often, districts designed magnet schools with a theme to attract students from all backgrounds, and also had different types of civil rights policies and goals.”

The growth of charter schools and their high racial isolation should be a concern to policy makers and administrators, who can play a leading part in desegregation. While funding from federal, state, and local education agencies has increased to support the boom, Frankenberg believes that any hope for charter school integration would require changes in the education policies at every governmental level. “The way charter school policy, and even funding, is structured in each state is a likely contributor to these patterns of segregation,” she notes.

The federal government recognizes the importance of reducing racial isolation and, as Frankenberg points out, the Obama Administration is already promoting choice and innovation. She adds, “Congress could address this issue by, perhaps, giving a funding preference to charter schools that will actively recruit and provide transportation for students from multiple districts—a step that might reduce racial isolation.”

But, as Frankenberg and her co-authors note, “Little state or federal direct action has been taken to change or correct racial isolation in charter schools despite numerous past reports by The Civil Rights Project and others highlighting this persistent and growing problem.”

Many states, as a part of their charter school legislation, have provisions in place to encourage diverse enrollments. Says Frankenberg, “More states could adopt such provisions, and all states should hold charter schools accountable for complying with these provisions.”

In addition, she believes, “The federal government’s Office of Civil Rights could issue guidance about civil rights and charter schools—prior guidance was archived during the Bush administration. They could also provide technical assistance to help charter schools serve more diverse enrollment.”

Support for alternatives, whether charters or vouchers, is front and center in this phenomenon. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/05/segregation-now/359813/

And just for Matty, a few images from Danny Lyon. Some of his friends? http://www.crmvet.org/crmpics/lyon/cops1-a.jpg
https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_371w/Boston/2011-2020/2014/10/10/BostonGlobe.com/ReceivedContent/Images/ANONST1147.jpg
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
What a sad price this pro immigration bureaucrat had to pay so he could floow the party line.

After Rape and Murder of EU Official’s Teen Daughter
Maria LadenburgerMaria Ladenburger / Facebook
by OLIVER JJ LANE
4 Dec 2016

The investigation into the October rape and murder of a young woman in Germany has seen a significant development after the major operation led to the arrest of a 17 year old Afghan “refugee”.
The body of 19 year old medical student and migrant home volunteer Maria Ladenburger was discovered in a river in the town of Freiburg on the 16th of October. An investigation determined the daughter of a senior European Commission lawyer had been raped, and then drowned.

She was a liberal volunteer helping refugees

you are one sick deranged psychopath to take pleasure in posting that... realyy a putrid human being you and your human filth are.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dean, sadness that fools like yourself have no grip on cause and effect.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
No xxx, sadness that fools like yourself have no grip on cause and effect.

troll post... going mcveigh I see...

you are one sick deranged psychopath to take pleasure in posting that... really a putrid human being you and your human filth are.

your math logic ability is so low you have no credibility or intellectual ability to determine cause effect.

you are one sick deranged psychopath to take pleasure in posting that... really a putrid human being you and your human filth are.

mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A CNN special that aired December 8 included rare, candid moments in which Barack Obama and his former adviser David Axelrod each acknowledged that racism contributed to negative attitudes toward the first black president.

"I think there's a reason why attitudes about my presidency among whites in Northern states are very different from whites in Southern states," Obama told Fareed Zakaria in an interview for “The Legacy of Barack Obama.” "Are there folks whose primary concern about me has been that I seem foreign, the other? Are those who champion the 'birther' movement feeding off of bias? Absolutely."

This public admission was a first from the president, and Axelrod was even more direct, saying, "It's indisputable that there was a ferocity to the opposition and a lack of respect to him that was a function of race.”

“Wow, I’m gonna pick myself up off the floor now,” Cornell Belcher, who served on the polling team for both of Obama’s presidential campaigns, said when he heard this. Why? He said the statements represented a long-awaited “massive breakthrough.”

What Obama and Axelrod said relates directly to an idea that Belcher lays out in detail in his new book, A Black Man in the White House. In it, he makes the case that Obama’s election triggered what he’s dubbed “America's racial aversion crisis”: a panicked emotional response on the part of white Americans to an African-American president, which transformed into a powerful force in politics.

Belcher uses numbers to support that claim. The book was inspired by a survey of voters between the 2008 general election and Obama’s reelection in 2012, tracking levels of “racial antagonism” — a term that basically means racism — along with political opinions.

His conclusion, as he wrote in his book: “The changing cultural and racial demographics of the country had, indeed, finally allowed the nation to overcome a monumental electoral political barrier, but they did not ‘exorcize the racial ghost.’” That “racial ghost,” he writes, worked to “delegitimize the black man in the White House and stop him from effectively governing.”

Belcher completed the book before the 2016 presidential election, but even then, he wrote that Donald Trump’s rise was another predictable result of white Americans’ preoccupation with racial group identity taking on a new, Obama-inspired, outsize role in voting choices — one that the president-elect was been happy to encourage.

The following is a lightly edited transcript of our conversation.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
Tell the story of racial aversion and party during the Obama presidency.

Cornell Belcher
We started from a baseline going into the ’08 election and coming out of the campaign. I kept doing polling around racial aversion in battleground states throughout Obama’s presidency. I initially started thinking, as the narrative early on said, that we had hit a racial milestone, and there was a lot of talk about “post-racial America.” But we certainly didn’t see that in voting patterns going into the election. I thought we would see a softening of racial aversion during the Obama presidency. But I was wrong.

The narrative about how America has progressed a great deal and we’ve broken racial barriers turned out not to be true at all.

During the course of his presidency, not only did racial aversion not lessen but it increased greatly. In particular, it found a fertile and comfortable place to land on the Republican side, and it spiked tremendously. And going into the midterm election and particularly during the primary season, it created almost a perfect storm for a racial antagonist to reboot the “Southern strategy” — and for Donald Trump to really ride and expand that niche and take the Republican nomination.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
You use the terms “racial aversion” and “racial antagonism” in the book. Do they mean the same thing, and how were they measured in the polling that you tracked?

Cornell Belcher
It’s tomato/tomahto, really. I used [both] because we try to pull back from the term “racism” and talk about attitudes that are negative toward black people, and I don’t want to charge that with the term “racism.” So we’re really sort of looking for a different way to talk about the rise of negative racial attitudes in a more clinically clean way.

As far as how they were measured, I didn’t really recreate the wheel here. What I did was build on what has been built over 30 years of academic measurements around racial attitudes. What I did was update that to focus on political attitudes in particular, and then control for ideology, because ideology does correlate with racial attitudes, and look at it from the perspective of voters.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
In the book, you use another term, “racial anxiety,” which you say is “the inevitability of no longer being in the majority that has some among the former majority so stressed out.” How does that tie into racial antagonism and to political attitudes?

Cornell Belcher
One of the things that I actually talk about in the book is how this really shouldn’t be a surprise when you have the dramatic [demographic] changes that are happening in this country, and for a segment of the electorate, Obama completely encapsulates those changes. He is not only the first person of color to hold the highest office in the land — he also did it while garnering only 38 percent of the white vote.

So you have this vast majority not choosing a Barack Obama. In the history of country, political power has rested almost completely in the white majority, and we’re at point where that’s almost completely not true.

What my research has shown and other research has shown is that people become more conservative or nationalistic with the increases in diversity — I think that’s exactly what my research has picked up on in the electorate, going back to the beginning of Obama’s presidency.

In battleground states, particularly more diverse states, the percentage of white people voting Democrat decreases significantly as that population gets more diverse. So diversity is having an opposite impact that is harmful to Democrats.

That’s why I argue to Democrats that you are going to lose more and more white votes, and unless there is a major party realignment, this is going to continue to be a phenomenon. As the Republican Party is seen more and more as the racial identification party for white people, you’re not gonna see us all of a sudden winning blue-collar white voters.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
Given what your research indicates, is there a world in which diversity can continue to increase and people of color can continue to make demands for inclusion and equality — in politics and elsewhere — without triggering racial aversion or animosity that in turn shapes political outcomes to favor Republicans? Is there a scenario where that could happen? Or is it that you simply wait for demographics to change and for people of color to make up a higher percentage of voters for this phenomenon to stop playing such a big role in politics?

Cornell Belcher
The point I try to make is that America is a unique democracy in that no other democracy in the world has our level of diversity and our history of racism, so we are challenged in a way that other democracies simply are not. So you have in this country, in a way you don’t have in other countries — at least in the industrialized West — a real transfer of power from one group to another.

The truth of the matter is if in fact we are a democracy, minorities here in the next 20 years are going to be the dominant political voice in our country. So there is a transfer of power that’s going to happen, and the question is, is it going to be peaceful or is it going to be one that destroys us? And look at what’s happening in our country: the [reported hate attacks] in the news every day, and how, quite frankly, we’re beginning to defy our democratic values when in North Carolina you have — this is not my opinion, the court said it — the state legislature put in laws to in keep black people from voting. Specific laws! That’s not democratic. We’re even violating our own values.

And our Congress, which has historically been a magnificent body, which has found a way to push forward and act through natural disasters, war, corruption, has been able to move and be functioning — up until the point where they elected a black man president. All of a sudden, that body is completely dysfunctional.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
So is there a way any of this — the strong influence of racial aversion and racial antagonism in politics — can be brought under control or stopped, or do we just have to wait for demographic changes that will make people who are motivated by racial antagonism less influential?

Cornell Belcher
I think the point I would argue it has to happen before demographic change — you already have people taking to the streets yelling they want to take our country back. What does that look like 10 years from now? What happens when that angry 45, 46 percent think they’re losing power, because they are losing power? We have to solve for this.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
But nobody has figured out how to solve for that, right?

Cornell Belcher
But we have to stop pretending that it doesn’t exist. That’s a start.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
I can see how pretending it doesn’t exist would be an important first step. It’s always strange to me to hear people say that Obama “triggered political polarization,” without explaining the race part. As if it’s a total mystery why that happened.

Cornell Belcher
One of the great tragedies is that the election of the first black president, as opposed to being a racial breakthrough, has in fact given rise to the opposite. It really has triggered an antagonism, or uncertainty, or fear that was dormant, at least up until now.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
A question a lot of people ask around the question of the role race and racism played in Trump’s election is, “How can you say Americans are concerned with race when they elected Obama?” I know the long answer is in the data presented in your book, but what’s the simple response to that?

Cornell Belcher
They didn’t. That’s the thing here. The majority of whites did not elect Obama, and that’s the wolf at the door. The vast majority of whites did not support President Obama and President Obama won back-to-back majorities, and that caused the realization of their power waning. Mitt Romney ran up a higher score among white voters than Ronald Reagan, when Reagan had a landslide in 1984.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
You recently tweeted that “economic power is often perceived through group lenses.” What was that a response to, and how does it tie into the message of the book?

Cornell Belcher
That was a tweet really to the progressive establishment — which means too often white Northeastern liberals — the idea that if we just had a better economic message, these people would all of a sudden go, “Oh, my god, what was I thinking, I should be voting Democrat!” That if we just find the right words to connect with downscale whites, they’ll say, “Oh, you know what, I am voting against my economic interests.”

It’s a disconnect that’s frustrating to me. They’re not voting against their economic interests; they are voting for their higher interests — there’s an idea that your group positioning doesn’t matter economically. The idea that you can disconnect white people from their group position and make pocketbook arguments to them void of the history of their group is folly.

That is not to say don’t target or don’t go after them. That’s absolutely not what I’m saying. What I am saying is just that the answer isn’t simply a pocketbook argument — we do have to inoculate against the increased tribalism and racialism in order to have that conversation. As long as there is a group sense of decline, we do have to calculate for that in our conversation and try to inoculate that as opposed to simply coming up with another argument about why raising the minimum wage is beneficial to you.

By the way, look at the last midterm [election] in Arkansas, which is full of the kind of blue-collar voters you’re talking about. [They] voted against [Democratic Sen.] Mark Pryor [who supported a minimum wage increase]. There is a disconnect here that progressives need to understand if we’re going to make a more effective economic argument for blue-collar whites, and stop telling them that they’re voting against their economic interest. That is a complete lack of understanding by progressives of the connections between economics and identity.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
But they are actually voting against their economic interests, right? Are you saying that it doesn’t feel that way to them, or that it’s simply not important to them, because voting with their group identity in mind feels more urgent?

Cornell Belcher
I would even push back on that. Who are we to say that they’re voting against their economic interests? If in fact you think you’re losing your country, that’s your higher interest, and how in the hell am I gonna prosper if [I believe] other people are taking my country?

Jenée Desmond-Harris
In a recent interview with CNN, Obama seemed to admit for the first time that race shaped people’s attitudes toward him, saying, “I think there’s a reason attitudes about my presidency among whites in Northern states are very different from whites in Southern states. ... Are there folks whose primary concern about me has been that I seem foreign — the other? Are those who champion the birther movement feeding off of bias? Absolutely.” And David Axelrod said, “It’s indisputable that there was a ferocity to the opposition and a lack of respect to him that was a function of race.”

Given your research, it strikes me that it kind of understates what happened. It’s not just that people were harder on Obama because he was black, but rather that the existence of a black president had a powerful effect on their feelings about race overall and shaped future voting decisions. What do you think about the comments, and would you add anything based on your research?

Cornell Belcher
Wow, I’m gonna pick myself up off the floor now. I’m really gonna need to pick myself up off the floor. Because Axelrod is actually admitting something that he’s known for quite some time — and during the Obama election and during the Obama presidency, we didn’t really talk about race. There’s a reason I didn’t write this book two years ago. We never really talked about race.

I actually think this was a breakthrough, and I don’t want to criticize that at all. That if you have the president and his former closest political adviser now admitting that what this president has witnessed is different from what others have witnessed and been a part of, and that it’s racial — I think that’s a remarkable breakthrough, and I want to praise that.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
There’s been a lot of predictable pushback against Obama and Axelrod’s comments — the kind you can expect whenever you suggest that racism exists or has an effect. On that note, how has the message of your book been received so far, as it’s come out in the middle of this debate about “What just happened?” and a climate where there’s a lot of sensitivity about suggesting that some Americans’ political choices are shaped by racism.

Cornell Belcher
It has landed in some progressive circles as the thing we don’t want to talk about — the thing that makes us uncomfortable. I have to take that responsibility. Cornell’s job is not to make you comfortable. We’ve been too comfortable for too damn long. And I will take on the responsibility of making people uncomfortable with the truth.

These are the conversations we’re going to have to have, because it only makes things worse if we don’t — we can’t kick the racial, tribalist can down the road anymore, because America is at a tipping point. What always happens is I’m now called a racist because I talk about race. You know how it is: We are now the racists, and we are causing the problem. Cornell is talking about tribalism, and somehow my talking about tribalism makes us more tribal. That’s the frustrating part.

I’m not trying to put a value judgment on it. I try not to point a finger and attack the people on the other side as bad people, because we need people on both sides to win the future. So I think it’s counterproductive for us to attack that woman in Ohio who, when asked why she wasn’t voting for Hillary said, “Because I want my country back.” I think, for America, we have to act to try to overcome that anxiety and then we can have a broader conversation. But at the same time, it has to go both ways, so when that 24-year-old kid in Charlotte, North Carolina, screams, “Black Lives Matter,” in front of the police department, those white people in the suburbs have to understand where he’s coming from too.

The point I make at the end of the book, which I think is important, is this idea that America has never had to really repent for the horrors and terrors of our racial past, and from a spiritual standpoint there can be no forgiveness or no atonement in moving on without repentance. But unlike Germany, where they’ve been repentant about their Nazi past and it’s illegal to even have a Nazi flag, here in this country, not only are they not repentant, they celebrate the Confederate flag. ... That’s part of what we have to move past if we’re in fact going to be one country united as one people all on the same team.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
What we’re hearing a lot of lately is the argument that whether or not you think you’re being mean or pointing a finger, anything that makes white Americans think about race at all might harden their views about race or make them more “racially conservative.” And your book echoes this in a way, arguing that the very existence of a black president triggered a racial backlash. Does that make you worry that confronting people with your book’s message — “We need to think about the effects of racism and tribalism” — could actually contribute to people being more racist and more tribalist?

Cornell Belcher
That’s the breakthrough we need — I also think there’s a spiritual value answer to it that transcends a lot of the bifurcation, and we have to find that. I don’t know exactly what that is, but I think we have to start asking the questions.

Where are there examples where we were able to tamp down tribalism and/or inoculate group identity so that it didn’t cause conflicts? We have to look at examples there. I was talking to someone yesterday who was in the Army in the late ’60s and early ’70s and he was stationed somewhere in the South, but the general who was [in charge] over an entire region of the South literally lost his job because he couldn’t get ahold of racial conflicts that were happening in the Army with integration. So the Army set up these training schools where the officers literally trained about diversity and racial reconciliation and had these conversations. The Army really put in a strategy and put in a plan on how to lessen racial strife. Now, today the Army is not perfect, but it is a better example than what we have outside of it. We’ve gotta look at some examples at where people have made a real effort at solving this and take some of the best practices of that.

Jenée Desmond-Harris
Convincing people to feel and react differently about race and their place in the country and to cease to be motivated by racism seems like a really, really hard job — and probably way above the pay grade and outside the skill set of a lot of elected officials. When you say “we” have to figure this out, do you mean people in Democratic politics or a more general “we”?

Cornell Belcher
We as Americans, period.

Was this article helpful?
Next Up In IDENTITIES
Melissa Harris-Perry: “since when” has racism or sexism disqualified an American president?
A woman who called Michelle Obama an ape has her job back. This is part of a pattern.
John Kasich signed a ban on abortion in Ohio after 20 weeks, with almost no exceptions
The new fetal burial rules in Texas are being challenged in court
Obama: if you were fine with big government until it served black people, rethink your biases
Samantha Bee: “identity politics is the dismissive term for what we used to call ‘civil rights’”

Most Read

This Trump voter didn't think

http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/12/12/13894546/obama-race-black-white-house-cornell-belcher-racism
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more on the bigotry side than on the racism side, but it's a hell of a lot shorter than the thesis that mac just posted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Muslim college student who claimed Trump supporters attacked her on the subway under arrest for making story up
Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 4:39 PM

She made it all up — and now she’s under arrest.

The Muslim college student who claimed she was harassed on the subway by three men who shouted “Donald Trump,” called her a terrorist and tried to rip her hijab off her head has admitted to detectives that she concocted the entire story, the Daily News has learned.

Yasmin Seweid, 18, has been charged with filing a false report, a police source said.
Seweid had numerous opportunities to admit the incident never happened but again and again stood by her story, the source said.
On Wednesday, after again being confronted with questions from detectives increasingly suspicious of her story she recanted and said she made it all up, citing family problems.

The police source said criminally charging her was appropriate.
“This isn’t something we normally like to do but she had numerous opportunities to admit nothing happened and she kept sticking by her story,” the source said.
“We dedicated a lot of resources to this — and don’t get me wrong, this is what we do — but we had guys going back and forth, looking for video and witnesses. And we couldn’t find anything.
“Nothing happened — and there was no victim.”

It wasn’t immediately clear what Seweid hoped to gain by lying to police.

The Baruch College student claimed that on her way home to Long Island the night of Dec. 1 she encountered three drunken men on an uptown No. 6 train.
She said straphangers stood by and did nothing while the trio mocked her and tried to tear the religious garb from her head.
“It made me really sad after when I thought about it,” she said. “People were looking at me and looking at what was happening and no one said a thing. They just looked away.”

She provided police a description of the suspects, one of whom police believed they saw on video following her when she got off the subway at Grand Central Station to look for police. At the same time, there were inconsistencies in her story.
For awhile, police believed those to be nothing more than typical of someone traumatized, but detectives could not find witnesses or any significant video.

Then, last week, she left home and was reported missing on Thursday — only to turn up safe and sound Friday.
That, sources said, increased the suspicions surrounding her tale.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/muslim-woman-reported-trump-supporter-attack-made-story-article-1.2910944
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 272 of 457

Jump to: