myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It been many years since I was in K-12 schooling, but I seriously doubt that things have changed that much. Some kids in school do very well, while some at the other end of the scale don't do well at all, but the greatest percentage fall somewhere in the middle. Also, for many different reasons, not all students get their act together during their K-12 years, or they just might not get the kind of parental leadership and have the financial support necessary to easily move on to a 4 year college or university. That's why community colleges offer an important stepping stone for many to get the kind educational background they might have missed to get ahead in their lives.

I can easily see a less than stellar minority student in high school ultimately get their act together and do quite well academically through a 2 year community college program. With an affirmative action type program in the mix, particularly for those that lack the financial support to attend a top college or university, many can have the opportunity to be successful and meet the challenges competing with the best. If they can't, we all know that they will fall behind and ultimately drop out. Yet, it's a worthy gamble. If the truth be told, I think that many minority folks have been able to leverage success with the help and assistance of affirmative action policies, and that we as a society benefit from that success.

As you probably know, whether you like it or not, America is quickly becoming a more diverse society where it's important that everyone has the opportunity to get ahead. Thinking that we don't need to help those most in need would be a mistake. As I see it, I'm not too worried about the most accomplished students getting into Ivy League colleges and ultimately getting ahead. Although they might not be accepted into Harvard because some minority student got their place in line because of an affirmative action policy, I'm sure that they will find a place at another outstanding university of a similar caliber. You don't always get what you want, but usually you get what you need.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetical situation (or not ) —
Dirt poor white kid and dirt poor black kid with equally poor grades both apply to same school with affirmative action policies. Who gets accepted and who gets discriminated against?

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP, what I remember from my college days is that poor folks got an opportunity through work/study programs. I seriously doubt that those type of programs have simply vanished.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient white rage. The Supreme Court outlawed naked affirmative action. Some programs allow diversity to be a factor in admissions.

It's amazing how when the news shows rich white folks cheating to get into top colleges, or endowing chairs to get their underperforming kids into schools, the "non-racists" in the forum pivot to affirmative action. Can any of you "non-racists" explain that? It sounds amazingly like white privilege to me.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Ancient white rage. The Supreme Court outlawed naked affirmative action. Some programs allow diversity to be a factor in admissions.

It's amazing how when the news shows rich white folks cheating to get into top colleges, or endowing chairs to get their underperforming kids into schools, the "non-racists" in the forum pivot to affirmative action. Can any of you "non-racists" explain that? It sounds amazingly like white privilege to me.

The only reason the subject changed to A.A. is because of the chart I posted from the Pew research center (which came out shortly before the college scandal).
Your problem should be with the public's response to their research, which would be a whole lot of "non-racists" that goes far beyond this forum.
Bitch at them.
Maybe put a sign out on your front lawn, I'm sure your neighbors won't mind.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your explanation? Have they burned your school yet?
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
And all the books in it, are you hoping?
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
mac wrote:

Wait a minute, are you claiming you read a book? That puts you ahead of Matty. Do you remember what year that was?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

Mac, I asked a question. I made no statement as to what my thoughts were on the subject at all.....so save your idiotic labels for someone else. You have no idea what I'm involved in or who my friends are.

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
nw30 wrote:
mac wrote:

Wait a minute, are you claiming you read a book? That puts you ahead of Matty. Do you remember what year that was?
That sign for your front yard should read "Burn down all schools that teach conservative values and American History NOW!".
That'll show them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 405 of 457

Jump to: