myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always suspect when an author uses a snippet of a quote out of context to support a position.

Here is the entirety if Lincoln's letter from which the partial quote was lifted. You will note the Lincoln is drawing a distinction between his duty as President and his personal opinion as expressed in the final sentence:

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uwindsurf,

Thanks for the heads up. Clearly, a quote was cherry picked. Now I have to check out his debates with Sen. Stephen Douglas to see what was really said.

Last edited by techno900 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja-human wrote:
Nail_Ponder wrote:
baja-human wrote:

I have to say I do believe I have now run into some of the stupidest and racist people I have ever seen on forums here.....

Which is strange from all my years of knowing windsurfers, I had never met one that I considered the bottom of the human race- IQ scale. In fact I put windsurfers as a group that I have encountered at some of the highest IQ I had ever run into as a group. Well have not met one racist one or low IQ but I do see there are some. IE I began reading some of the right winger posts on this forum that is.

While we don't totally understand your specific kind of crazy, we do admire your total commitment to it. Keep working at it because you ARE just so close to perfecting it.

I see mr (literally) flunky troll, is trying to say someone I should respect his ignorance as being some kind of intellectual. Face it, as I told you a long time ago, no one is going to hire you for your intellect.... You have never done so your life to date so why would you be able to now.... You as a typical right winger just do not have any brains......

the guy who is frustrated with the people of the world who would like to incinerate them, IE the guy whos big wow moment was gee baja you are not smart because you did not remember this stupid thing about the troll. IE as I pointed out one of the regarded most intellegent was Einstein and he could not even remember his own phone number. IE believe you have a shred of intelligence, nope, you are the moron who believes the Jewish ADL league is a hate group.

Like I would ever listen to a moron who is so frustrated that he stalks a person on a forum because he does not like the others political point of view. And the moron is a serial troll.

So troll do you really think I would listen to a right wingers hate talk, specially when they can not support their own debates. Or one who stalk you. Your hate is getting you.... not that you had much of an ability to think rationally before...

As I have asked you many times, if your son, wife or daughter was posting on a political subject and a poster began stalking and trolling them, what would think of such a person...

You're so close to perfecting it. Maybe amp it up a bit, if that's possible, and THEN you will have it perfect.

Sorry to inform you....contributed to industry magazines, won service and design awards in my industry, and now asked to contribute to an industry forum to help teach others how to profit and manage similar businesses. You were saying? Don't let it drive you crazy...oops, too late.
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nail_Ponder"][quote="baja-human"]
Nail_Ponder wrote:
baja-human wrote:

I have to say I do believe I have now run into some of the stupidest and racist people I have ever seen on forums here.....

As I have asked you many times, if your son, wife or daughter was posting on a political subject and a poster began stalking and trolling them, what would think of such a person...

You're so close to perfecting it. Maybe amp it up a bit, if that's possible, and THEN you will have it perfect.

Sorry to inform you....contributed to industry magazines, won service and design awards in my industry, and now asked to contribute to an industry forum to help teach others how to profit and manage similar businesses. You were saying? Don't let it drive you crazy...oops, too late.

any of those nail pounding awards for stalking?

again stalking is just a part of your hatred? how about trolling?

Ya I bet those were for some real intellectual things... like how to hate unions and their members...

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I did find this from a Lincoln / Douglas debate:

Quote:
Before the debate at Charleston, Democrats held up a banner that read "Negro equality" with a picture of a white man, a negro woman and a mulatto child.[24] At this debate Lincoln went further than before in denying the charge that he was an abolitionist, saying that:

I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone.[25]

While denying abolitionist tendencies was effective politics, the African-American abolitionist Frederick Douglass remarked on Lincoln's "entire freedom from popular prejudice against the colored race."[26] In spite of Lincoln's denial of abolitionist tendencies, Stephen Douglas charged Lincoln with having an ally in Frederick Douglass in preaching "abolition doctrines." Stephen Douglas said that "the negro" Frederick Douglass told "all the friends of negro equality and negro citizenship to rally as one man around Abraham Lincoln." Stephen Douglas also charged Lincoln with a lack of consistency when speaking on the issue of racial equality,[27] and cited Lincoln's previous statements that the declaration that all men are created equal applies to blacks as well as whites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln%E2%80%93Douglas_debates
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja-human wrote:

Ya I bet those were for some real intellectual things... like how to hate unions and their members...

You definitely are committed, or is that should be committed? One thing for sure, practice makes perfect. You're so close now you must be able to smell the rubber on the walls.
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New postPosted: 01 Jul 2015 13:44 Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Nail_Ponder wrote:

baja-human wrote:
Quote:

Nail_Ponder wrote:
How Liberal of you to assign attributes and motivations of hate to others. I guess it's hard to pay attention with all those looney rants swirling around in your head.

Anyway have a happy Canada day poor sad angry old man. Looks like wind here today, and I already got in a 6:00am bike ride, long walk and some paperwork.

I have no problem pointing out people who brag about hating unions and their members. and yes I have no problem pointing out what I see is a stalker, troll and racist and yes I have no problem with pointing out your twisted mind that you said the Jewish ADL league in your mind is a hate group. And I have no problem pointing out you are a serial troll.

again you started it like clockwork.

Yes the combined examples I do believe

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot- no problem affirming you're nuts.
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:

from a guy who claims he was joking about posting on the internet filling up a van with fertilizer and driving it to the USA. to get me hmmm.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja-human wrote:
Nail_Ponder wrote:

from a guy who claims he was joking about posting on the internet filling up a van with fertilizer and driving it to the USA. to get me hmmm.

Paranoid schizophrenic says what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 223 of 457

Jump to: