myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Near Drowning at Ho'okipa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaipal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Near Drowning at Ho'okipa Reply with quote

Yesterday there was a windsurfer who nearly drown at Ho'okipa. He would have died had he not been pulled out of the water by the lifeguards. Bravo to them. Here are some pics. https://www.facebook.com/jimmie.hepp2/media_set?set=a.571030112934657.1073741988.100000830216933&type=1

Less than a month ago we almost lost Steve at Waddell http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Two near drownings in less than a month should remind us about how the sport we love so much is dangerous. Things can go wrong at any time for any one of us. Safety is everyone's responsibility. Don't ignore that.

So on to my beef... Yesterday at Ho'okipa the wind was East and pretty light inside. That means stalling lulls and puffs that cause you to round up. Dampens your maneuverability going out to say the least.

On the way out I was pretty much stalled in front of a pathetic less than head high wave. Some guy decided he was going to ride it, starts going down the line in front of me, and hits me with his mast. I wasn't hurt at all. Just kind of amazed that the guy hit me. More disbelief than anything. But here is the kicker. The guy kept on sailing. Sailed away. Didn't check to see if I was ok. Didn't apologize. Simply pretended it didn't happen. I later sailed next to the guy for a while, staring, waiting for him to say something but he didn't. I thought about losing my cool but collected myself.

Shit happens all the time on the water. Especially at crowded spots. When something goes down it is your responsibility to follow up. Not pretend it didn't happen. No exceptions. Keep it safe and do what is right on and off the water at all times.

We are all lucky that we are not entering this wave riding season with heavy hearts given that there have been two near drownings. Dead means dead and we still have two guys with us because of the awesome efforts of others.

-J
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Near Drowning at Ho'okipa Reply with quote

Jaipal wrote:

Shit happens all the time on the water. Especially at crowded spots. When something goes down it is your responsibility to follow up. Not pretend it didn't happen. No exceptions. Keep it safe and do what is right on and off the water at all times.

... Dead means dead and we still have two guys with us because of the awesome efforts of others.

It is good to remember that it can be a dangerous sport, and yes right of way should be respected by leaving a WIDE path to the sailor that has it ... I witness so many crossings becoming regatta-style engagements with the port sailor passing a few feet from the starboard sailor! I am sure I am guilty of it too and needless to say a collision at 25-30 knots is going to be painful.

But as far as preventing accidents. What should we be aware of? I can see two main possibilities: being hit in the head and being trapped underwater by the boom lines.

For the head ... I wear a helmet (it is pink that helps a bit with "the image" Cool. For getting trapped ... other than being aware of the possible problem if I fall in I am not really sure what else to do.

Any other situations that can get risky? Chime in!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not the sailor heading out from the beach through the surf have the right of way? Seems to me he should, and that the port/ starbord tack thing does not apply.
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Near Drowning at Ho'okipa Reply with quote

"...and being trapped underwater by the boom lines."

Quick release harness- it's the only kind I use.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Slinky, the sailor going out has much less control and therefore has the right of way. But when headed out it is custom at down the line spots to try your best to get out of the way of somebody on a wave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: