myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
so we are thinking about moving to Hood River....or Portland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve you must be younger than me. I hate the drive down 84 at night in winter. It either raining and you can not see because of truck spray or blinded by the head lights of the on comming traffic. And i disagree about the 4 or 6 days. Like I said you must be younger than me. Wisdon is bestowed upon you with age like it or not.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the TriCities two hours east of Hood River. It is often listed among the nation's Top 10 places to live, is sometimes the fastest-growing mid-sized city in the nation, almost escaped the housing bust, has some of Washington's best schools, has 9" of precip per year (as opposed to Portland's position as one of the two or three rainiest cities in the nation) ... yada yada yada

SEARCH this forum on key words such as move Gorge Portland Kennewick Hanford. The topic has been discussed at GREAT length, so there's a great deal of information here on it. Ignore the reactionary BS about Hanford; it's a job and federal funds gold mine, not the public hazard the tree-huggers claim. Quality windsurfing is the most important activity in my life, and I live here by choice, all things considered.

Mike \m/
its4.0somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, the Gorge is too hard on gear. We need more windsurfers in Minny!
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beautiful half acre lot in White Salmon. Sunny southern and western exposure. Mt Hood and Gorge views with a slice of the river. Priced to sell with owner financing if you decide to move and want to build.
surfalex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its4.0somewhere, I must know you... Funny.. Maybe just stay in MN, good schools, safe waters on Waconia

Oregon schools is a big turn off, with three kids and great schools in south Minneapolis, I probably should stay here
Tri Cities is to far from PDX were I work a few days a week. And too far from the July winds usually centered in the corridor. Might consider some of the other options mentioned in this post.
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been commuting for 15 years to Vancouver, WA from Hood River. Started commuting full time to now part time. Winters are horrible in January/February, white knuckle drives with black ice, to semi's throwing slush or torrents of water over the windshield. Roads don't get plowed until after 7am and they quit at 11pm. I have had shifts from 3pm - 1pm and now 9am to 9pm. Whiteouts are common at Rooster Rock in the heavy East wind winters (have even seen a barge run aground on the sandbar in the 90 mph gusts, to keep from jackknifing, until the winds die). There are many deer at night on the highway, and many carcasses on the road for the unlucky commuters who meet them. But, in the 15 years, I've only missed 5 shifts due to winter weather, have camped out with family in Portland on a rare occasion, have had two blowouts with my tire twice (dang it's costly with a 4 wheel drive), and have put 250K miles on my car over 10 years.

Is it worth it? Yes, every commute in and back is gorgeous and enjoyable, have seen numerous wildlife, and have listened to a ton of books on tapes. As a wind junkie (sail from as early as February to November, since 1979 in the Gorge), my only regret is working the 12 hour shifts that keep me from an dawn patrol session as I drool on my way to work, as I pass the Hatchery and Swell. I would rather live in the Gorge, then make the driving to "try and catch the wind". At night, I've seen wonderful shooting stars. When I'm tired and feel like falling asleep at the wheel, I make a phone call, to have my boyfriend talk me in (a co-worker rolled his car, falling asleep on his commute home to Mosier).

My kids, brought up since infancy on the slopes and on the water. Education can and should be supplemented by the parents. If they are college bound, they will get there, Ivy League and all. Where else can you bring your kids up, where they have friends since grade school. Where else, can you bring your kids up, where the police know your kids by name, because your families were on the soccer field together.

International travel is an hour away to catch a plane. When Hood River is in an inversion ("drain plug of the Gorge"), hit the slopes or take a day trip to Portland. No large development, guaranteed between the Gorge and Portland, thanks to the Gorge Scenic Act.

I've lived here for 26 years, now having to move due to a divorce. It's been well worth it, and don't regret any of those years. You only live once, live for quality of life! I don't plan to leave completely, already arranged 6 months of renting in the Gorge and commuting to Vancouver for work, 2 months in Baja, and the rest in Portland.
its4.0somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
its4.0somewhere, I must know you... Funny.. Maybe just stay in MN, good schools, safe waters on Waconia

Ya, we've sailed together a "few" times. Like this "safe" day on Waconia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t29AGQX4kLE
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfalex wrote:
Tri Cities is to far from PDX were I work a few days a week.

That right there is the clincher. 'Nuff said.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let anyone talk you out this. I can't think of a better place to live. I sure would love to live in the Gorge.
merriam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in MN and love it there. Have lived in HR for 23 years, love it here even more. I have a different opinion than my friend Steve about the school district, having raised three kids (two in college, one graduated.) He's right there is a large percentage of low income families which is obviously a challenge, but the district has done an admirable job addressing. I think it's a good thing to have the broad spectrum of our society all together, and I think my kids benefited from the experience. In recent years more than 60% of the high school graduates have gone on to college, so they must be doing something right. More importantly, the atmosphere and attitude of the schools is great. Our kids loved school (even middle school,) but especially high school.
Steve's also right about the non-existent TAG program, however it is more than made up for by the contribution of talented volunteer parents. There are many motivated parents here and they spend lots of time and energy helping in the schools, and with sports.
I think the reason the schools are so good here is because the area attracts great teachers and administrators, they want to live here for the same reasons as you. We were amazed by many of our kids teachers, and only disappointed by a few.
Good luck with your adventure.
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: