myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
so we are thinking about moving to Hood River....or Portland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after being on back order for most of the year, larger pistol magazines are back on the shelves.

I had to laugh at a local Ace Hardware store's Back-to-School Supplies weekly ad back in August. The first several pages were the usual stuff your own kids buy every year; the last page was full of AR-47s, BIG magazines for them, Glocks, assault shotguns ... the usual stuff their parents are buying.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure!

Our gang uses Amateur/Ham radio to coordinate activities in and out of town. My ticket is Extra class. Not a Bootlegger.

castnoshadow wrote:

We could always use a few more good hands to shoot our way out of town to make it to the hatch for the day.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he fought for years deep in the jungles of Viet Nam, but both had become scared even for themselves, let alone their kids, due to the throngs of gang bangers and/or homeless hanging around every street corner and shopping center in the 90s.

That's hilarious! I stayed in Portland many many times from 1994 - 2001, and I don't recall any roving gangs or homeless people. My dirt bag friend (who worked at the Willamette Week) lived in a number of low rent student-housing type places and I felt completely comfortable passing out in the front yard covered in $20 bills. In fact, I sometimes awoke to find some of the $20's that had blown away neatly tucked back into my pockets by friendly passers-by.
Portland is, seriously, like one of the safest cities I know of, and coming from MN, you'll find it's almost as white-bread. One thing that has always plauged the PDX-HR corridor is jobs. I had two friends from KC that moved out to PDX in 1998-1999 to work construction/remodling while windsurfing, and both moved back with in a year because the job situation was terrible. I believe it continues to be terrible, unless you're a physician, engineer, or accountant. But those professions can find jobs anywhere.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multnomah County homelessness problem dire and likely to get worse, experts say is the headline at
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/04/multnomah_county_homelessness.html .

An excerpt: "The 2,666 homeless families counted in Multnomah County in 2011, she said, dwarfed the 635 homeless families counted in San Francisco that same year."
Skaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that guy's not coming anymore because we yap too much.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yapping reduces the crowds,
YAP YAP YAP. Smile
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of the times I drive to Portland I say " Wow, this is the most beautiful 1 hour drive in the world". Every turn of the road, in every season is gorgeous.

The drive through the Gorge to Portland can be icy a few days out of the year. They don't salt like MN,so they close the freeway for a day till it melts. A Minnesotan would chuckle at how little ice/snow it takes for a closure here. It's never as bad as a sub-zero whiteout blizzard like MN.

I moved from Minnesota to Hood River about 20 years ago. I designed and built a house in Hood River 11 years ago. Please PM me if you want to talk more.
ascott72

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood River and White Salmon are great little towns. But very small.

If you are looking for more civilization - especially jobs - you are much better off in the Portland metro area. HR is 60 miles from Portland, an easy 1 hour drive on the highway during the summer to windsurf. It's also only an 1.5 hour drive to ski on Mt. Hood. This is a great area to live if you like outdoor sports! (Hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing are all good too.)

However, be warned that the winters are long and gray west of Mt. Hood. October-April is often gray skies and there can be long stretches of no sunny days. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing. Vacations to sunnier climates are helpful.

*As others have mentioned, I would not recommend commuting from HR to Portland. There can be heavy commuter traffic on I-84 during rush hour and the highway can also have sketchy road conditions during the winter.
ascott72

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That said, a pair of 40-something close friends who had lived in and loved Portland all their lives RAN to Hood River when their kids hit grade school* to escape Portland's exploding gang culture. She had traveled all over Europe on her own and he fought for years deep in the jungles of Viet Nam, but both had become scared even for themselves, let alone their kids, due to the throngs of gang bangers and/or homeless hanging around every street corner and shopping center in the 90s.

I also have to call Isobars out on this. That is a bit over the top. Yes, there are some homeless, mostly downtown near the social services. Yes, there is some gang gang activity in the poorer neighborhoods - nothing unusual for a big city. And yes, the politics in Portland are quite liberal. But none of that has ever been a problem for me or any of my friends that live here.

Quote:
To summarize what I've witnessed and heard about and read for over 25 years now regarding outdoor recreation access: Portland is well-placed for outdoor buffs who want to spend weekends in the Gorge, at the coast, or in the mountains, while Hood River is well placed for people who want to play at any of a few dozen sports before work, at lunchtime, and after work.

This he got right.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
Quote:
That said, a pair of 40-something close friends who had lived in and loved Portland all their lives RAN to Hood River when their kids hit grade school* to escape Portland's exploding gang culture. She had traveled all over Europe on her own and he fought for years deep in the jungles of Viet Nam, but both had become scared even for themselves, let alone their kids, due to the throngs of gang bangers and/or homeless hanging around every street corner and shopping center in the 90s.

I also have to call Isobars out on this. That is a bit over the top. Yes, there are some homeless, mostly downtown near the social services. Yes, there is some gang gang activity in the poorer neighborhoods - nothing unusual for a big city. And yes, the politics in Portland are quite liberal. But none of that has ever been a problem for me or any of my friends that live here.

As usual, I was irrefutably right, and cannot be "called out" on that statement. A "pair of 40-something close friends who had lived in and loved Portland all their lives DID run to Hood River when their kids hit grade school to escape Portland's exploding gang culture. She had traveled all over Europe on her own and he fought for years deep in the jungles of Viet Nam, but both had become scared even for themselves, let alone their kids, due to the throngs of gang bangers and/or homeless hanging around every street corner and shopping center in the 90s.". You can call them out, but not me. However, they lived in a very nice home on the banks of the Columbia, near where the city's annual 4th of July fireworks show went off, so it wasn't a poor neighborhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: