myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona One Fin Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder, a safe practice when writing posts on the Kona One forum is to type the response into another program like a word processor or into a blank e-mail. Then log in to the forum, copy and paste directly into the reply box and then hit send. For some reason the Kona One forum doesn't like to wait for users to write long replies or posts inside the forum. Joachim knows about this and is working with his web guy to debug, at least that's what he told me.

konajoe is 100% correct on all his points as is Sailboarder about the actual class fins.

As KWA class measurer, it's not my task to do anything but work with the KWA and the Brand Owner to be sure that all the parts sold are compliant with the class rules. That said, I also work to keep both the KWA and the manufacturer informed of the existing limits as well as existing freedoms set forth in the class documents.

I assure you that both the KWA and the Brand Owner (Kona One AB, of whom Joachim Larsson is head cook and bottle washer) are united in the goal of a supporting that which makes Kona One unique in all of windsurfing. Both the KWA and Joachim agree that fair racing must included stability of equipment. Any proposed changes, whether they originate from within the KWA formal structure, from Kona One AB or from anyone interested in the Kona One all receive the same review and discussion. That's why we keep most discussions free flowing and open.

By example, when the Kona One commercial brand was purchased by Kona One AB, the 7.4 sail was the only class-legal sail. Every additional size was the result of rigorous testing using iterative and engineered methods, active racing with "test" rigs and ultimately approval by the KWA according to its authority as an ISAF One Design class. The recent introductions of the 9.8 sail and the new weed fin followed this approach.

Any proposed changes to fin materials, lamination schedules, designs and/or dimensions likewise must be approved by the KWA prior to official recognition and will represent a collaborative effort between me as measurer, the KWA's World Council and its Competition Committee that I co-chair with Brad "Woody" Woodworth.

One a personal note, I truly appreciate all the viewpoints expressed both here, on the Kona forum and in conversation. Please know that all points, regardless of my subjective view, are recorded as part of my role as co-chair of the Competition Committee because the view of every Kona One sailor is important. While any change is intended to improve the racing and ownership experience, inevitable costs accompany most changes. Our goal as a class remains to maximize the fun while minimizing the fuss. Open communication will remain a crucial element to how we manage Kona One going forward.

konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, Dan, Sailboarder is suggesting that a Kona racer with the 7.4 rig would be faster around a course with a fin smaller than the stock 46 cm fin. I don't agree with that. GPS, yes. But course racing, no.

I think you're agreeing with Sailboarder about optimum performance around a course being achieved by matching the fin size with the sail size. But making the 7.4 racers use a smaller fin would make it worse for them, right? Letting the bigger rigs use a bigger fin also makes it worse for the 7.4 guys. right? If Kona introduced a 48 cm race fin and if I were a 7.4 sailor, I'd be faster with the bigger fin in most conditions. right?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, KonaJoe. You are correct, I overgeneralized. I agree with you that in most cases the 46cm fin will be a better performer than the smaller fin.

Everyone agrees we cannot create changes that will make only the biggest and tallest men capable of winning as soon as planing becomes possible. Fin designs must ensure this doesn't occur just as we are revising the rules to prevent sailors under 65kg from sailing on the 7.4.

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Sailboarder, a safe practice when writing posts on the Kona One forum is to type the response into another program like a word processor or into a blank e-mail. Then log in to the forum, copy and paste directly into the reply box and then hit send.

I tried and it didn't work. I had a router problem, maybe that's why.

But I also lost my answer here (f***), so I'll have to do this here too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: