myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2010 Starboard Quad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: 2010 Starboard Quad Reply with quote

I've read all the "Quads in the Gorge" threads, and even contirbuted to
a few, but in my quest for a new board, I'm wondering if anybody is
riding the 2010 Starboard Quad (the one with the large fins to the outside)
in Gorge like conditions, and what that is like. I can get a killer deal on
a new 76 ltr right now.

-Craig
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Starboard Quad Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
a new 76 ltr right now.

-Craig

How is your "killer deal"? I got one for just under $700 Please tell me yours isn't lower Smile I've only used it a few times so far. I was looking for a high wind board for my 185 pounds for 3.2 and 3.7 sailing. SO FAR, it has fit the bill. It allows me a bit more float than I would normally be on for a board for that wind (68 - 72 l) so it is nicer to slog if necessary. However sailing on the quad fins is a little strange. I tried changing the mast from the recommend position (it is marked on the board) and found I didn't like the handling. So I moved it back Smile

It seems to track well upwind. The quads seem slower on the water, but for the conditions I use it in, that is what I was looking for.

My friend Temira has two of the smaller one (72 liter?) and loves it for Gorge sailing.
mirkef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: quad Reply with quote

I have the 76l quad 2010. I am 190lb. I bought it as my "small" board for the bigger days. But it is not small at all, it rides bigger. because of the width. with 3.7 it is too choppy for it. Before I had a fanataic new wave 78l which was old school , narrower and was very good for the big days.
THis board was my first quad ever and was riding strange for the first 3 sessions , then I got used to it, no w it feels ok.
I managed to use it once at the coast in proper side shore conditions w 4.7 and it really feels good! well its a wave board...
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Starboard Quad Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
a new 76 ltr right now.

-Craig

I would really try to get a ride on it first. I rode that board in less than ideal conditions: OP'ed 4.2 East winds & found it rode high on the water but not overly quick & rode a bit large for it's size. It went upwind well & turned nicely but IMO has a very pronounced "hip" between the straps which it likes to pivot on vs. full rail front foot type turn. The large front fins configuration make it feel a bit strange in a straight line but you can probably get used to it. I think it is a unique board & not really similar to other Quads I have ridden like Quatro LS 2012 & my current board Fanatic Quad TE 75 which feel much more conventional. Bottom line is I would try it first.

HTH
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Starboard Quad Reply with quote

Hey John,

My"deal" is about 7 bills just like yours. I live in the same complex as
Temira, so I'll ask her about it if I run into her. I was hoping to use it from 5.2 to 3.7 conditions (that's what my current board serves).
The rumor I'm getting is that these boards aren't that good for someone
who is back foot heavy (which I really really am).

You and I weigh in about the same, so your opinion is most useful.

Thanks for the input.

-Craig

johnl wrote:
How is your "killer deal"? I got one for just under $700 Please tell me yours isn't lower Smile I've only used it a few times so far. I was looking for a high wind board for my 185 pounds for 3.2 and 3.7 sailing. SO FAR, it has fit the bill. It allows me a bit more float than I would normally be on for a board for that wind (68 - 72 l) so it is nicer to slog if necessary. However sailing on the quad fins is a little strange. I tried changing the mast from the recommend position (it is marked on the board) and found I didn't like the handling. So I moved it back Smile

It seems to track well upwind. The quads seem slower on the water, but for the conditions I use it in, that is what I was looking for.

My friend Temira has two of the smaller one (72 liter?) and loves it for Gorge sailing.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a similar deal. Is the one you are looking at the 5 fin version or the 4 fin? The 5 fin wasn't available when I was looking, but it gives you the ability to sail the board single fin. I found a review online for this board and they liked it more with the single fin.

Maybe the back foot "heavy" feeling is the one I have when I say it sails "strange". I'm still getting used to it. At least I was, but I haven't had the chance to take it out lately. I have an 80 Liter Realwind that I use for 4.7 to 4.2 sailing which has been more of the wind range lately.

I know Temira raves about THIS board (year and model, but smaller size) for Gorge sailing. My larger boards are freestyle boards so maybe I'm used to using a lighter back foot although I wouldn't say I am light on it. The only downside is that the footstrap position isn't adjustable and it favors a wider stance than I would normally use. My understanding is for surf this gives it a more solid turn. Another thing to get used to Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Starboard Quad Reply with quote

mirkef wrote:
Before I had a fanatic new wave 78l which was old school , narrower and was very good for the big days.

cgoudie1 wrote:
The rumor I'm getting is that these boards aren't that good for someone who is back foot heavy (which I really really am).

Sorry, guys, but I can't hold it back any longer:

L M A O

OK, I'm done. I really do apologize.

I've posted those studied conclusions, very often with international magazine corroboration especially of the former quote, how many times/pages here? (Hint: probably >30 times totaling >20 pages.)

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

Mike Smile
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike is awesome!
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you really think he would let a thread go by without making it about him? Personally I'm glad he is amused. Pretty much the same way I'm amused by all the crap he spews.... Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This crap could have saved either or both of you $700 and some apparent disappointment.

It's not about me; it's about the PR myth that what was the best wave/B&J boards on the planet just a few years ago no longer work. You guys just keep on buyin' PRBS, whether it comes from the Shuz or dealers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: