myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2010 Starboard Quad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those comments John. I hate to be the buzzkill too often. I have never ridden any Starboards, but I think in general no quad is meant to be ridden as a heavily weighted back foot ride? ... I think that defeats the purpose of any waveboard unless you are trying to get upwind to the beach, particulary for a quad. I could never reef on my 75L LS quad with the back foot. No bite.
I would like to apologize for reading and commenting on things previously postes. This disclaimer will apply to my next ten years of interaction on IW.
daviddk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s hard to respect isobars` opinion when after 30 years of sailing as much and as hard as he claims he`s still an advanced intermediate at best. How someone can have such an inflated opinion of himself is beyond me.
pmartin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new 2010 82L quad convertible from windance for ~$600 earlier this summer. It was still wrapped up in plastic and everything!

The quad definitely took some getting used to, but now I love it! It definitely improved my jibes, and by the end of the summer I was feeling much more confident in them. The turns felt really locked in.

I feel the 82L is a great all around size in the quad, and is a great fit for a wide range of conditions in the gorge. Overall, I felt like it was very fun to sail, and made jumping very easy.

I like the fact that I can still use it as a single fin if I want to, but the few times I tried it, i immediately wanted to switch back to the quad fins.

I can't compare to other quads. I say go for it!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
I think in general no quad is meant to be ridden as a heavily weighted back foot ride? ... I think that defeats the purpose of any waveboard unless you are trying to get upwind to the beach, particularly for a quad. I could never reef on my 75L LS quad with the back foot. No bite.
I would like to apologize for reading and commenting on things previously postes. This disclaimer will apply to my next ten years of interaction on IW.

Duly noted, and probably a good idea. Smile

But back to your quad and wave board comments. In the quad and wave board picture, SO much depends on one's objectives, sailing style, and venues.

For sailors whose style and preferences emphasize forward weight bias and modest speeds (e.g., DTL sailing and cruising Gorge swell often luffed), wider wave boards and quads may be optimal. But for folks whose sailing style and preferences emphasize full-time, fully-powered, faster sailing in harsh terrain, that strapped-in back foot is very useful even on wave boards and the narrower tails of older wave boards are generally faster, smoother riding, and more tolerant of chop in both straight lines and high-speed maneuvering.
brettn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started putting something straight on the stringer of boards I'm considering buying. When the straight edge rests on the flat spot, you will clearly see how much tail rocker the board has. My old acid 72 dedicated wave has a whopping inch and a quarter of tail rocker; the 2011 Kode I just bought has about an eighth of an inch. Massive difference.

Measure the quad. I bet it's got a lot of tail rocker so slower top speed, but wicked sharp turns.
SuperNuker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you get all those fins and boxes for about $700?? Wow, that's a lot of stuff for the money. Laughing

Keep it simple and stay single.

The Gorge isn't the optimum place for a quad, tri, twin or octo fin board.

People are figuring it out and multi fin boards are on sale! Idea

2010 , 4 year old quad on sale in the Gorge, go figure. Rolling Eyes
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like simple, but there are a lot of Gorge folks who love their tri fin
Open Oceans, and there are still some stalwart quint fin Bonzer
riders out there. I ride a custom trifin HiTech when it gets strong,
and I love that board for those conditions, but I don't think the trifin boards ride anything like the quads, so I'm not sure an extrapolation is possible. This quad is just a tempting deal, but it's never a deal
if it's not fun to ride.

Avoiding a style of board because it's on sale, hmmmmmm,
I'll have to think about that, there might be something to that strategy.

I have a buddy here in SLC with an 8'2" Bonzer that might have 5 days
total on it. I'm thinking I'll offer him a couple hundred to sell it to me.
Might be worth having just for the ride experience. Plus it has killer
polyester deep gloss graphics.

I can get this quad in a convert (heavier construction), so I guess I could
just ride it as a single if I didn't like the quad option. ;*)

-Craig

SuperNuker wrote:

hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking out this one yesterday, but I think I would sail it as a tri fin.
There must be a reason everyone (except kiteboarders) puts the big fin(s) in the back now.

http://www.windance.com/76-L-Starboard-Quad-2010-CPS9281S000/
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:
I was checking out this one yesterday, but I think I would sail it as a tri fin.
There must be a reason everyone (except kiteboarders) puts the big fin(s) in the back now.

http://www.windance.com/76-L-Starboard-Quad-2010-CPS9281S000/

That board either has 2 pounds of water in it or 2 pounds of repairs.

http://www.quadwindsurfing.com/spec.php
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNuker wrote:
You mean you get all those fins and boxes for about $700?? Wow, that's a lot of stuff for the money. Laughing

You might want to do a little research before saying things. The reason why there are deals on 2010 Starboards (if you can find them) is because of Starboard incorrectly guessing board demand in 2010. Because of that there is overstock. Windance was able to get ahold of them.....

Oh yeah, stop by the Hatch and count the number of people on Realwinds (or other Gorge locations). I guess all those people haven't figured out that they should only have one fin either...... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: