myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mistral pandera
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chans64

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: mistral pandera Reply with quote

I am wanting to get back into windsurfing again for some time on the lake this summer. I have an opportunity to purchase a late 80s Mistral pandera for under $200 with two sails. Is this worth it? I don't think I am ready to buy a $2000 rig just yet, but am afraid this old rig will be difficult to get into.
Thoughts?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the board is in good condition, and has not taken on water, I would say yes. The pandera is about 11'6" x 64 cm. 190 L. If it needs parts other than fin or footstraps you'll never find them. Longboards work real well on lakes, with light and shifting winds. Make sure that daggerboard works.
chans64

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Anything special that I should look for? They say it hasn't been sailed in 10 yrs and has been kept in the garage. How do you know if the board has taken on water?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look closely for any damage such as cracks, dents,etc. Be sure to check the fin box very closely without the fin, look for hairline cracks inside the box. Also pull the daggerboard out, look inside there as well. The board should weigh between 30-35 lbs. Good luck! Those boards can be a lot of fun.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's worth it, assuming it's not damaged or missing pieces and you're not over 200 lbs. The daggerboard gasket and the foot-pedal-adjustable mast track are the things most likely to be "out of order."

My dad had a Pandera so I sailed it a lot growing up. It's a good lake cruising board and it will plane decently, especially if you put a bigger fin on it. It's pretty heavy even if it hasn't taken on water so don't be alarmed if it feels heavy when you check it out.

chans64

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. What should I look for with the dagger board gasket and mast track? I am about 190. Any issues with the weight?????
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the universal joint firmly locks into the mast track, that it can slide forward and backward in the track when you flip up and push the foot pedal, and that it won't slide forward or backward when you're not pushing the foot pedal.

With the daggerboard, make sure there IS a daggerboard and it fits properly in the slot, and make sure that the rubber lips on the bottom of the board (the daggerboard gasket) havent rotted or broken off.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Any issues with the weight?????"

Weight is really not that big of an issue in this niche of boards. The thermoformed molded construction and ABS type finish is a bit heavy, but it's very durable overall. If the board's weight is within its production specifications, there's no worries. Heavier boards are just a bit slower getting going, but once up to speed they can really move, particularly with a longboard like the Pandera that is designed for planing. Its sleek outline will prove to be speedy and maneuverable when powered. Yet, on the downside, its narrow shape will be pretty tippy and slower in sub-planing conditions.
chans64

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips. I am headed out now for a look.
chans64

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I picked it up last night. 2 sails and board in great condition. Now I just hope I can sail it, but looking forward to spending time on the water vs. in the office!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: