myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone sailing in Montana?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraeva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Anyone sailing in Montana? Reply with quote

I just moved to Billings, MT. And looking for places to go sailing.

It seems windy often enough, but if anyone has ideas, please share.

Specific details on locations and launch sites would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

sasha
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you are already aware of Lake Elmo in NE Billings. It is tiny, about 1500 ft E to W and about 1500 ft N to S at the longest distances. I used it in 2005 to add Montana to the list of states where I've windsurfed. And it is slightly larger than the lake I sail on the most in IA.

Flathead Lake near Kalispell is huge, on my list of places I want to windsurf, famous for ice sailing in the winter, and Google's satellite maps show what look like several boat ramp launching areas in Polson MT.

Each of the following appear on satellite maps to have campgrounds that are relatively primitive (you might need to bring your own water and your own shade).

Much closer to you (about 75 miles) is Deadmans Basin Reservoir, Ryegate MT. It is more than one mile from E to W and from N to S. There is a campground on the southern shore.

About 115-120 miles SW from Billings and a little W of Cody WY is Buffalo Bill Reservoir which is about 5 miles East to West and on the east end is about 4 mi North to South.

About 155-160 miles SE from Billings is Lake De Smet near Johnson WY. Satellite map shows a what looks like a camping area near the south end of the lake & NE of where I-90 interesects with Hwy 39. The lake is about a mile or more wide and 4-5 miles from NW to SE.

I mention Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park only to alert you that windsurfing was not allowed there in 2005 and might not be allowed now.

A wetsuit might be needed at all times at any spot fed by mountain runoff.

Good luck in Montana.
kraeva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I have tried to sail Lake Elmo in town once. But sounds like I just need to do some exploring on my own.

Judging by the meters there are some lakes that are windy to solid 20s daily. Like Yellowstone Lake!

Deadman's basin, and Flathead lake sounds like are other two venues.

Cheers!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to reach them, and forget which lake is their usual haunt, but two extremely enthusiastic, outgoing guys and excellent Montana WSers are Hans and Franz -- seriously, accent and all -- who sail the Gorge a lot this time of the year.
mtnwnd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily Lake, south of Livingston is one spot that folks from Billings and Bozeman frequent. Most go to the point west of the boat launch. Kiters and windsurfers launch there. Look for south winds, will usually be gusty. Can blow there for no reason, so many will camp and hope for an a.m. thermal. Yes, Hans and Frans are there often, (now kiting). Good group of friendly folks will be there if the call is for south wind.
Deadmans is also a spot the gang from Billings utilize, can be very good.
Martinsdale is a good call if west winds are forcast, classic Montana cow pond. There will be a small crew here if the call is west.
Hope this helps, Dave....maybe I will see you soon
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out Dailey Lake south of Livingston. I ran into a group of Bozeman sailers at a gas station in Livingston on their way for an evening session. This was late 90's.

I also sailed DeSmet Lake south of Sheridan, Wy about 20 years ago. The launch was at the south end of the lake. Seems we drove out onto the beach after sighting a couple other windsurfers BAFing as we drove up I90. Great 2 hour session on a 5.6 me 5.2 wife and slalom boards.

Some Hobie Cat sailers in my fleet in SD took a road trip to Fort Peck Res back in the early 80's and got slaughtered in high winds and big water. Maybe worth a road trip with a good forecast!
kraeva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MtnWind! I hope to run into you as well.

What's a good website to follow the forecast?

Cheers!

sasha
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf's sister website, WindAlert, covers Montana well.

This view catches Daily Lake & Livingston:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#45.407,-110.791,10,obs

And here's the map centered on Martinsdale Reservoir:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#46.435,-110.271,9,obs

Click on any spot on the map for the full forecast.

Here's Livingston's current wind & forecast:
http://windalert.com/spot/116400

Daily.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.84 KB
 Viewed:  24611 Time(s)

Daily.png

Martinsdale.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.57 KB
 Viewed:  24611 Time(s)

Martinsdale.png

kraeva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I am well familiar with WindAlert, and have created a MT profile already. I have not figured out forecast correlation to the actual wind here in Billings, but I am sure ultimately will. But I will add those sensors on as well.

Hope to see you on the water!

sasha
kraeva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a Yahoo Group for Montana windsurfing. I am hoping it can serve as a forum for people to post optimistic weather forecasts, places they are going, and on-site reports. Of course, anything else is welcome as well.

Check it out and register at:

Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTWindSports
Group email address: MTWindSports@yahoogroups.com

Hope to see some folks on the water!

sasha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: