myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WINDSPORT interviews Isobars. Please join in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch, you just not only renewed, but significantly increased, my faith in you, this interview, and Windsport. I'll elaborate and answer your latest questions ASAP.

Mike \m/
maxpowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobitchin, not everyone can channel a 13 year old girl like that.

It's cool if it's funny. But that was a massive strike out.
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxpowers wrote:

From my perspective, they're nothing alike, even in the transgressions their charged with. Iso is charged with thinking too much. The Danlger was precisely the opposite. If you know him, you'd understand that the Dangler's experience in Vietnam was a major contributing factor to his present personality and spaciness. If you want to disparage a vet with serious psychological problems and compare him a guy that loves writing (if he sometimes takes it too far in your opinion), many might consider that both insensitive to the man with PTSS and without thought as it considers the similarities to Iso, as he appears precisely the opposite. The only commonalities that persist are that they are both controversial and getting an interview. But the comparison will probably be understood by most as an attempt to insult one by comparison to the other. In other words, it's almost certainly nothing more than a personal attack using a man you don't understand to insult a man you don't like.

Come on, Mitch, all I wrote is that another mag did an article on a controversial person, The Dangler. From my point a view, you are putting words in my mouth that I never said.

I might hire Isobars as a defence attorney on that.
Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch, since you asked about isobars' killfile, I'll ask a few pertinent questions about it. I'm on his killfile list, so some answers might shed some light on things a bit for the 30+ folks currently on the list.

Why do you regularly bring up your killfile list up and brag about it to readers here, to include identifying many on the list?

Does it ever bother you that the killfile list is continually growing?

So that isobars can "see" my questions, you will need to quote them for me so that they're visible, as isobars' killfile software system censors posts from all folks like myself.
maxpowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyT, that was more directed to Scott. I didn't find anything wrong with what you wrote. He was calling BS journalism. While I'm not claiming I'm a good journalist, or even that I am a journalist, it begged a response.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxpowers wrote:
Iso, a few questions for now

1) While I don't think you have anything at all to do with this, can you explain why you think people's comments (that they say are anti-iso) keep getting deleting? Are they actually getting deleted? Do you have any pull with the iwindsurf mods? This one keeps coming up, and I haven't seen much mentioned about it.

That’s another laughable claim from the Whiner Gallery, Mitch, and reveals your (understandable) lack of familiarity with this group and your interview subject. I have raised endless holy hell since last century, within and to the hosts of forums including this one and NWWindtalk, to live up to their contracts with us to moderate (delete or modify) any and all false personal attacks. Weatherflow/iW refuses, and Don of NWW explicitly allowed them (yet explicitly stated that even polite requests to support false claims were grounds for expulsion …. mine or anyone else’s). noshuzbluz claims Weatherflow/”iW” told him repeatedly that the attacks on me were allowed (in violation of our service contract) because it increased their advertising revenue. Yet when noshuzbluz complained to Weatherflow about a comment I made to him explicitly in jest ... an explained parody of one of the forum’s worst offenders … my whole post was deleted immediately. I have no respect for a company that operates that way, but I need their damned data. If anything besides the smell is going to drive me from this cesspool, Weatherflow’s abusive practices come closest. They have been informed of this, and just in the last few weeks, after one miscreant was falsely accusing me of making and claiming murder threats, we’ve seen maybe 1% of the worst lies deleted ... followed by cries of bias from some of the biggest offenders.[/quote]

maxpowers wrote:
2) In your mind, when you get into an argument on iwindsurf, do you characterize the outcome as a win, loss, tie?

The winners are readers whose WSing skills or knowledge improve as a reward for wading through this crap and can then make more informed choices among their many alternatives. The losers are the “My Way Rules” types who insist that only their methods and/or gear are acceptable, and lob baseless personal attack turds into our punchbowl when I offer alternate choices based on 33 years of personal WSing experience, multiple engineering degrees, and having been director of the largest high-performance WSing gear magazine test team in at least the U.S.. Further losers, in a different sense, are people who give up and miss out on a wealth of knowledge from all sides. Ties -- actually win/wins -- are awarded in the rare instances that the nanny state dictators STFU, let both sides present and explain their opinions impersonally, and let readers cherry pick their own prizes. It's called rational adult debate, and the nanny state can't stand it.

maxpowers wrote:
3) Can you describe your favorite post here on iwindsurf or any other windsurfing related site? What was it about? How'd it go? Did it have any effect on your life outside the web? Maybe it's not your favorite post, but the post that had the largest effect on your life?

The one that has been translated into the most languages, been re-hosted by the most websites on the most continents, and garnered the most praise from the most continents both online and face-to-face on the beach has been the subject of this oft-repeated shorter post: “Google Mike Fick’s jibe tips”. The toughest challenge in my life was learning how to jibe before useful lessons were available, and my jibe tutorial has apparently helped many people, from intermediates to people wanting to ditch their cumbersome 12-Step Jibe training wheels, get over the same hump. That lights my fire.

Next might be my magazine article and posts about Windsday Sailing, on how to escape the office on windy weekdays. Then there was simply, “Move”, my sincere response to people pleading for relief from living in various climatic doldrums.

And I can’t skip my many stoked riffs on sailing outside the box, stepping out from behind the lawn mower to add more dimensions and g’s to windsurfing in anything from big chop to nice swell. Helping other WSers expand their skills and TOW is hugely rewarding, and people’s endless attempts to stifle that are extremely petty, selfish, puzzling, myopic, and disgusting.

maxpowers wrote:
4) Would you please describe an instance where someone changed your mind?

I misread a wetsuit manufacturer’s very confusing, IMO, temperature range color chart. People screamed, “You’re wrong”, but only one offered the necessary facts and logic to back it up, vital since the issue was whether 3mm of insulation was sufficient for sailing in full blizzards. That’s why I offer facts and logic to back up my opinions: so readers can make INFORMED choices for themselves. That’s not fighting; it’s communication.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your definition of "EPIC" conditions?

-Craig
maxpowers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, can you turn off your kill file thing for this interview. While I'm sure some of the guys posting stuff will still be annoying, a few of the people who are apparently on it are posting some pretty reasonable questions. If you prefer not to, I can repost them for you. Just let me know.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
What is your definition of "EPIC" conditions?

Those that are "rare" -- maybe once a year? -- for any particular venue.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punked on iwindsurf. Don't worry if it is, because this post won't give it away to iso. He "can't" see it because I got plonked long ago, when I questioned his positions on melting glaciers and the people who study them. (its a scam, you know, all that science and stuff)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 8 of 25

Jump to: