myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo Carillo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Leo Carillo Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Is anyone heading to Leo Carillo this weekend. I am a beginner, managed to sail last weekend but it feels better when there are other sailers around. I have a RRD 127L and 5.5 sail. Hope to see someone around
gyeneors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forecast for Leo Carrillo is not encouraging for Saturday, Oct. 19. At best, it might be sailable on very large equipment later today, around 4pm. There is an event going on today, so parking will be a challenge.
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not too far for you, Cabrillo Beach might be a better bet. If you're comfortable on the open ocean, it's a sandy beach launch instead of the more advanced rocks at Leo. The only caution on the ocean side is that even though the surf break may be very small, it's very powerful, so if you're not comfortable yet handling your gear in the surf, maybe not.

But Cabrillo also offers an easy launch to your left as you drive out to the parking lot. This is a smooth beach into smooth water, and there are other sailors there. You'll often find the UCLA teaching crew there, too.

I love sailing Leo, but back in the day as a beginner/intermediate, the launch at Cabrillo, even on the ocean side, was a lot easier due primarily to the sand bottom and the smaller surf break. Just please pay a lot of attention--never turn your back on the ocean--and keep the nose of your board pointed into the surf, even though small, and keep your sail up and out of the water.

There will be a lot of us down there today--it looks good for this afternoon!

Have fun!
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not too far for you, Cabrillo Beach might be a better bet. If you're comfortable on the open ocean, it's a sandy beach launch instead of the more advanced rocks at Leo. The only caution on the ocean side is that even though the surf break may be very small, it's very powerful, so if you're not comfortable yet handling your gear in the surf, maybe not.

But Cabrillo also offers an easy launch to your left as you drive out to the parking lot. This is a smooth beach into smooth water, and there are other sailors there. You'll often find the UCLA teaching crew there, too.

I love sailing Leo, but back in the day as a beginner/intermediate, the launch at Cabrillo, even on the ocean side, was a lot easier due primarily to the sand bottom and the smaller surf break. Just please pay a lot of attention--never turn your back on the ocean--and keep the nose of your board pointed into the surf, even though small, and keep your sail up and out of the water.

There will be a lot of us down there today--it looks good for this afternoon!

Have fun!
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo Carillo Reply with quote

I also think Cabrillo will be better today. Plus the inside at Cabrillo is better than Leo for learning. There are usually more people sailing at Cabrillo than at Leo.
Ergi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Thnx guys Reply with quote

Thank you guys,
Leo is about 15 minutes from my home that is why i prefer Leo. I am getting more conformable with my gear overtime i go out. I will try Cabrillo next weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: