myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why We Should All Fear Government
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with stevenbard that technology is outpacing our ability to pay for it and with Coboardhead that the ACA should cut down on some top techonology where it doesn't make financial sense. I also agree with SB that it isn't fair to lump everyone in the same group. As the ACA stands- the people that pay nothing and people that pay half what individual payers will pay will be in the same line at the same places. I thought the ACA was going to end up being somewhat like the people getting gov. subsidies would go to the Highland Hospitals, SF Generals... and their clinics, etc.( which is still top care- in fact they are the best trauma care in the counties) and the people that pay for health insurance would cont. with the private companies. Good luck when everyone wants their pancreatic transplants, liver, heart and lung transplants. Gonna bankrupt all of us. And thank you for finally bringing up end of life care costs! People use to die at home over a short period of time- now most die in hospitals and dying process is prolonged by months to years, costing a tremendous amount. It's fine when there is hope for recovering but when there is no hope of recovering to a halfway decent quality of life- can we really afford to spend millions of dollars to keep people alive needing total care for long periods? No. I think it's great to give people time to say their good byes and exhaust every possibility for a continued life. But when people require round the clock care and the quality of life is shot- is it fair to make everyone pay ? If a person can pay on their own- fine. But to make everyone else pay? I know that sounds awful but we have to address it. And at the other end- the newborns. I'm not gonna be very popular with this but I've seen kids that spend most of their life in a hospital requiring RTC care - expensive care- surgery after surgery--- and no hope of ever having much more than that. At some point we have to discuss - how much can we spend for this? Back to end of life- these are extremes but I've seen people keep a family member alive to get their SS check though they are unresponsive, bedridden, require rtc hospital care- and no nursing home will take a pt. like that because they can't accomadate that much care. We pay for that. Another one - the rumor was that the wife was "punishing" the husband for having an affair by not letting him go- though he required icu care for months. On the more reasonable side- it is hard for family members to "give up on someone".... very hard -and I understand that. The guilt many would feel- unless they had discussed what kind of life sustaining measures they wanted. Same goes for personal decisions when that is a choice. Paliative care teams and Drs. are much better at guiding people through this discussion so there is some hope but the decisions are still up to the pt. or person with power of attorney. And yeah- pretty ironic that the tea party repubs rampaged on about death panels and they are suppose to be the party of fiscal conservatism.
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify- I thought universal health care made a ton of sense because the quality of life for a persons entire life can be so much better with early intervention health care- ie: getting antibiotics for a UTI instead of waiting it out until it turned into pyelonephritis or getting HTN meds before the person has a heart attack or stroke, or getting diabetes control care before they lose their eyesight or a foot.... but the way O care is- everyone is eligible for everything that is available- and the costs of that are staggering and I think impossible to handle. That's why I think there SHOULD be lifetime caps.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Exactly Summertime, Wages are still falling, employment stagnant, and far more part timers than we'd like.

BTW, Boggs, housing is on fire. My daughter bought a home up there 2 years ago and it's up 200k in value. Multi family is now priced above 2007. It should be a no brainer. There should be more jobs.

And, some of the most successful people I know, don't have college degrees.

Bard, housing is on fire, that is housing prices!!! I know that , I'm knee deep in CA real estate. Home building, which generates huge employment in this country is at a fraction of historical norm...I didnt think I would have to describe this to you again.
I also agree about being successful without college, but times have changed...its not the same anymore.
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
... is that the ACA creates a framework for pooling risks for smaller businesses. As such, it is a benefit to those businesses who want to, or need for competitive reasons, to provide health care. There is no requirement, despite the awfulizing.

There can be reasoned debate on whether the ACA will be effective in controlling costs, or about what more (or less) should be done, and the like. But to complain about Obama not being willing to negotiate on the ACA, after the GOP refused to negotiate and he kicked their butts, is a rare combination of political naiveté and sour grapes. With a little hostage taking mixed in.

I see how it pools risks for small business. that's good. but I think businesses big and small are still going to try to avoid providing health care for employees. It makes business sense. The fact that this was the trend before the ACA- well- with the rising cost of health care- I think it will accelerate the trend and unless we come up HC cost controls like lifetime caps- I think it's going to get harder to get the early intervention care that makes sense.

I agree the tactic by repubs to force negotiation on the ACA isn't the right way to go about changing it. And I hate how they try to blame the dems with their grandstanding at the WW2 memorial, etc. But the problem is that noone knew how the ACA would really work. For sure the consumers were lied to ("your insurance rates will go down"- only if you earn less than 46,000 in CA if not- they go up 42 percent with a 43 percent increase in deductible and annual out of pocket max). Also apparently the bill was over 800 pages long so no congressman was gonna read it. (just heard that from my repub friend- don't know details on that.)
I guess I get your point that we should work out the kinks through the usual congressional system because it passed- the majority wanted it - but that could take many, years.
Interesting point about part timers being a mutual desire schwandler. I can see it. But I also see more and more people knowing the magic number to not exceed in income and rigging things to meet that. Costs should be on a sliding scale- not just one number as the cut off. Which brings me to my other beef- the ease of gaming the system and the incentives to do so. So yeah- part time work is tempting if working more means you won't get the huge government health care subsidy.

Last edited by summertime on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it hasn't dawned on many of the folks from the right, but couldn't many of the part time jobs out there be a choice that both the employer and employee make in mutual benefit? Statistics really won't show that. Why buy the talking points from the right like they're offering the truth? Why be so gullible?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summertime...

All valid points about the ACA. It is not the best plan. I wrote a better reform bill on Obama's first campaign web page in the comments section. But, it never made it out of committee...or something.

But, we have to start with several things that were included:

1. An insurance mandate to require participation by all users of the healthcare system.
2. Insurance reform that does not allow insurance companies, if they want to be in the market of providing insurance, to rescind policies or price out of the market when subscribers become sick.
3. A method, insurance exchanges, that allows small business to compete with unions and large corporations on insurance costs.
4. Cost containment strategies for, especially, hospital stays

As you say, limitless coverage, for any conditions, is a bad idea unless accompanied by some very specific guidelines on what, and who, is eligible for increased limits.

The problem with our political climate is that it is almost impossible, at any level of government, to write laws that do not need tweaking. Politicians look for an opportunity to write a law and take it...with full understanding that it will be tweaked later.

I am currently working with a small municipality to rewrite some hastily adopted building land use codes because they do not work. I had objected to the language of the codes in public meetings, but they were adopted any way because the political will was available.

I have confidence that we are better off with the ACA than without...flaws and all...because it will be subject to the same process. Continue complaining.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB, we could have mandated individual coverage without creating a huge bureaucracy. Many of the positive points could have been agreed upon and written in less than 100 pages.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
CB, we could have mandated individual coverage without creating a huge bureaucracy. Many of the positive points could have been agreed upon and written in less than 100 pages.

I do not think so. I have helped write a couple of real laws (not my fantasy healthcare law). It sometimes makes more sense to include more details to avoid having decisions made arbitrarily by bureaucrats. It really depends on the law. Healthcare represents 16% of GDP. Shouldn't this be the case where we really look at details?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB, Maybe, but a simple 1 line law that said, you shall be responsible for your own wellbeing would suffice.. Laughing
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic. This is the kind of news that gets the left wing hopped up. Definitely shows how distorted mainstream news is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQubNVeGPNc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 4 of 63

Jump to: