myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why We Should All Fear Government
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR--you are so funny. What liberals really hate is so-called reforms that "privatize" charitable functions like relief for the poor, when they end up in "church-based" organizations that pay their pastors in 6 figures, discriminate against non-believers, and spend 80% of the funds they raise on salaries for those who raise funds.

You can find hundreds of examples of charitable arenas where conservatives didn't trust government to be efficient--and then gave those functions over to private charitable organizations that were far more inefficient. Ideology trumps monitoring.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I make you laugh, but you're comparing specks of dust to a gravel pit.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specks of dust? You clearly don't get out much:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/10/news/nonprofit-ceo-pay/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Quote:
Although the seven-figure salary of one prominent Baptist evangelist was published this month, Southern Baptist Convention executive salaries remain hidden.

Hat tip to the folks at the BaptistLife.com forums for bringing to our attention information in the next to last paragraph of a USA Today story on executive salaries among non-profit organizations.

“The biggest compensation gainer among top executives was Franklin Graham of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, whose compensation rose 534% to $633,722, much of the gain because of a $366,000 retirement payment. Graham, 57, son of Billy Graham, also earns $483,000 as CEO of charity Samaritan’s Purse,” the story says.

So, Franklin Graham made more than $1.1 million last year. Not bad money if you can get it. Even without the retirement payment, he still made more than $750,000. Then again, it must be nice to get a hefty six-figure retirement payment when you’re 57.

Of course, we must consider all the great work done by the two organizations Graham leads. One would expect that the head of an organization which delivers Christmas boxes to needy children around the world wouldn’t be living a lifestyle of lavish luxury.

Remember too that the average Southern Baptist pastor’s pay package last year was roughly one tenth of the money Graham pulled in from just his father’s evangelistic association.

Finally, let’s be glad that we know how much Graham makes.

We don’t know how much top Southern Baptist Convention executives are paid. Although we do know that they’re paid very, very well.

The most recent published figures we could find for top SBC leaders’ salaries are from 1990. They’re cited in the book The Conservative Resurgence in the Southern Baptist Convention by James C. Hefley. According to that book, five top SBC executives at the time were paid more than $100,000 a year. ...

[The Wall Street Journal's R. Gustav] Neibuhr said the controversy was forcing SBC agencies to cut their staffs and postpone salary increases. salaries and fringes for the top executives of three boards and seven agencies. Five earned well over $100,000. The five, according to [Southern Baptist Advocate Editor Bob] Tenery, were Lloyd Elder, President, Sunday School Board, $157,086; Harold Bennett, President-Treasurer, Executive Committee, $151,079; Larry Lewis, President, Home Mission Board, $113,583; Keith Parks, President, Foreign Mission Board, $113,000. The Annuity Board decline to report renumeration (sic) for its newly-elected president, Paul W. Powell. Tenery further noted that the top six men at the Sunday School Board, where Tenery is a trustee, were paid $715,475 in salary and benefits.
“Does this appear as if Southern Baptist employees have been denied a raise?” Tenery asked. “It is apparent that we take care of our workers quite well.”
Even simple adjustments for inflation for the equivalent positions today result in very comfortable salaries for all. Such adjustments do not consider the implications of the subsequent revelation of extravagance by Bob Reccord while he headed the SBC’s North American Mission Board (a consolidation Brotherhood Commission, the Radio and Television Commission and the Home Mission Board). Reccord funneled $3.3 million to business friends, including current SBC President Johnny Hunt, while NAMB staff was downsized. His severance package of two years’ salary plus benefits reportedly exceeded $500,000.

A 2005 Associated Baptist Press article noted that even members of the SBC’s own Executive Committee must sign a pledge not to reveal employee salaries. Details from Reccord’s rein emerged only because NAMB marketing director Mary Kinney Branson escaped without signing the standard agreement.

Decades roll past and Southern Baptists are systematically kept in the dark about pay for their denomination’s executives. Now, why is that?

Of course they politic, in violation of the Bill of Rights, for politicians that will keep donations to their organizations tax exemptions--and their salaries secret.

Quote:
Turns out Nancy Brinker raised her salary along with eyebrows in 2012, when word leaked out that Susan G. Komen for the Cure had yanked funds to Planned Parenthood at her instruction.

The nonprofit’s latest 990 IRS filing shows that Brinker, founder and CEO, made $684,717 in fiscal 2012, a 64 percent jump from her $417,000 salary from April 2010 to March 2011.

The filing says Brinker devoted 55 hours to the cause each week, giving her an hourly rate of $239.40, roughly twice the salary of Komen’s chief financial officer Mark Nadolny or former president Liz Thompson, who left the organization in as a result of the brouhaha.

Komen’s website still lists Brinker as CEO, contrary to headlines after the publicity nightmare indicating that she was stepping dpwn

I thought the song was "Smoke gets in your Eyes", not dust. None are so blind as those who close their eyes.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said I condone it did I? It is still a drop in the bucket to say $678M for a non- functioning website or like here with a $1.12B cancelled gas plant now isn't it? That's just the ones we know about too. These are the ones we should be thanking for our success? BTW, you guys got off cheap. If you figure out how much that cost per "tax payer" of the Greater Toronto Area it makes one wonder how these people aren't in jail.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=5210

Amazing video of college students who are becoming aware of Obama's deceitful rule.

If I were a college student today, I'd be rioting over this horrible administration stealing my future. I'd hate the baby boomer generation. I wonder if 2016 will lead to student unrest.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention the baby boomer (60's) generation Steve.

Many of our problems stem from their 'flower power' ( or should that be fairy dust) addled minds - now that they're in positions of power.

Mind you, at the rate many of them are being arrested, (B.B.C.), the realistic right may soon be back in with a chance! (Over here, at least,)
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
If I were a college student today, I'd be rioting over this horrible administration stealing my future.

Today, yes. When I was in college, not so much. I never heard any prof make any political comments, never saw even one placard/march/riot/soapbox speech in my whole college career. But then I was in college full time on main campuses during a quiet, peaceful, respectful period: 1961 - 1967; my next 11 years of school were part time in several states and mostly at branch locations. More important, our presidents during those years weren't trying to destroy the republic with their ideological strategies, subversive tactics, and outright lies.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the activities and coverage of civil rights and anti-war activism during the early to mid 60s, I find it a bit unbelievable that a college student at that time never saw or heard anything notable going on bucking the status quo.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, you hit the nail on the head. The counterculture generation of the 60's are now in power, and look what they're doing with it. War, health system in decline, scandals, fiat currency, over spending, middle east in disarray, and small business and jobs in free fall.

I wish there were student leaders in charge today who would stand up to this oligarchy. However, when you tell them they can stay on their parents insurance until they're 26, why should they worry?

My prediction is when all the "free stuff" disappears, all hell will break loose.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not just your prediction. Several economics authors agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 8 of 63

Jump to: