myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 Exocet X-Wave Review 91 liters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: 2013 Exocet X-Wave Review 91 liters Reply with quote

I got the chance to try out the X-Wave last weekend and was pretty stoked as my old 88l Universal Wave 2 is still my favorite board.
Went to Davenport here on the California coast and it was firing 4-8ft waves Saturday logo high Sunday onshore wind 25knots nice conditions.
Thank you Jean for the opportunity to try the board.
First off the shape. This board has single concave in the nose going to double concave with v-panel maxing out between the mast track and front footstrap then flattening out in the tail. The rocker has a tweaked nose with continuous curve throughout and a flat section off the tail. Rails are nice and soft up front not too chunky as they pack in the volume by making the board quite thick in the middle and tail.
All of this adds up to make the board very fast for a multifin. Thruster fins have 0 tow and about 3-4 degrees of cant.
Planed up very quickly and it was easy to get your weight back on the board as the tail will support you with all of that volume. At times I found I could just stall the sail and hang out quite comfortably waiting for set waves. The board turns really tight I was a bit surprised at how pivoty it was. Small clean sets were extremely fun. Bail the the stock 23cm center fin too big and a weed catcher. I put a 18cm wave fin from my SUP on and that seemed just right for my 5.4m powered up and made the board much looser. It was pretty light inside the wave zone and that's where this board shined. Held its speed in the bottom turn like a champ and I could race down the line to the peek if need be. Top turn was tight and easy with very little spinout.
I am not a total fanboy though as the waves get bigger and choppier this board can be a handful. The wide thick tail makes for a sketchy ride down big choppy faces. I had to be very careful to drive all the way to the bottom before initiating my bottom turn. On gybes you have to be careful to keep your weight back so you don't dig the nose as you slow down. Some people may like this but for a dedicated waveboard you need to be able to sink the tail for control in big waves.
In summary this would make a great board for bump and jump flatwater or a lightwind waveboard.
Isn't that what they call a Freewave board?

Exocet 91 Bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.46 KB
 Viewed:  13632 Time(s)

Exocet 91 Bottom.jpg

Exocet 91 Rocker.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.72 KB
 Viewed:  13632 Time(s)

Exocet 91 Rocker.jpg

Brian_S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, how much do you weigh?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

side off wind, perhaps? when it's onshore, i need lots more fin. sometimes, even a term like onshore and offshore is very relative. in hookipa, we're talking about a few degrees in variation. here in florida it could be anywhere from 10 degrees either way from side shore to 40 degrees....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh around 205lbs these days.

jingebritsen Davenport is usually onshore but can go sideoff late in the day sometimes. Seems like all the multifins need the smallest fins possible so that drag is not crazy high and you compensate by sailing more upright and forward on the board. Once your on a wave they have plenty of grip.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upright and over the board has been the opposite of my style of sailing for 32 years. lit up, tons of power and speed has gotten me out of more onshore problems than anything else. i'm basing this on watching lots of others doing the stand over the board thing and get washed, over and over. but, all i can do is lead the horses to water. it's up to them to decide if they want to drink....

although i do spend tons of time slogging to surf sail on my long boards. again, not many do so around my breaks, but i do. if the 91 works for you the way you like, then bully for you. it's pretty darn sweet for me the lit up and smokin' way too.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: