myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best cold weather gloves / mitts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Best cold weather gloves / mitts Reply with quote

Went windsurfing this morning. 32F and snowing but my wetsuit / hood / booties and thermal stuff worked great - except my gloves. My fingers got cold and started to hurt a bit which ended my session. What has worked for any of you who go out in cold weather? I have heard of the open palm mitts but I don't think that would work for me. I currently have hyperflex 3mm gloves that have been fine before today other than more rapid forearm fatigue compared to no gloves - ideally I want something warmer that won't cause fatigue as rapidly - is there such a thing? Thanks
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried MANY gloves
however, the following trick has worked the BEST
go until hands get cold
go back in and warm hands up
once fairly okay - start windsurfing again and hands stay OK !!!

now i am looking for a similiar foot solution
usually okay until i get off and then COLD !!!
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what Joe said. Your hands sting with the cold, you warm them up in the car, then they're good to go.

My only additional advice is to use thin surgical gloves and then dishwashing gloves over them using rubber bands to keep in place. That seems to work fairly well without sacrificing grip.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a smallish cooler full of hot water. Every time you get cold, dunk your gloved hands into the water. Same with feet in boots.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the forum using key words such as cold hands mitts gloves. You'll probably find well over 100 posts on the topic.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will search
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can combine the advice above.

You should keep your gloves if your good to sail with them.

Joe's procedure truly works wonder. You go out until your hands start to hurt. Sometimes maybe only 5 minutes. Come back, warm up well, and you're good to go for an hour or more...

I warm up using MrGybe trick with the cooler. I bring it close to the water edge and find it works way faster and better than the car. I use hot tap water, and adjust temperature so that my hand can stay in it for a minute or more. With cold hands, the temperature is unbearable at first. But since you are confident that the temperature is not dangerous, you can do quick dips, that last longer and longer until the hands are warmed up.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no consensus on best hand gear for cold weather windsurfing. I sail year-round on Long Island, and in any group of guys there will be at least three different "best choices". Some general observations for sailing when the air is under 40 degrees:

1. Your hands are going to get cold no matter what, so you will need to take frequent breaks. As your hands acclimate you'll be able to sail longer stretches in between breaks.

2. Keeping wind off the outside of the hands always helps. Whether you suffer from forearm fatigue induced by gloves or mittens is an individual matter. I don't. Note that the extent to which you get your harness lines as close to perfect and your sail well-tuned will reduce the amount of squeezing your hands will need to do. Hurried rigging in the cold is an error that compounds the fatigue problem. The good news is that you can use the need to dial in harness line position and sail tuning in combination with the early short runs needed to acclimate your hands.

(I'm using Mystic gloves these days. They replace the Glacier gloves I had been using. Better wrist seal...good for really cold water days. I still use the Glaciers for moderate winter conditions.)

6a00d8341c890753ef0120a775d917970b-300wi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.35 KB
 Viewed:  23125 Time(s)

6a00d8341c890753ef0120a775d917970b-300wi.jpg

rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out the mystic website - they have a nice selection of gloves and mitts - hadn't seen those before. I might try their 5mm mitts - it is easier for me to deal with fatigue (sit on the board wherever for 5 min) than cold.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find mitten to work really well on those really cold days. And on those really cold days i will use reusable hand warmers. Last seanon i used the hotsnapz. They are soft and look/feel like breast implants. When activated(squeezing a small metal disk/button thingy inside the warmer), they do get hard. Need to wear mittens. I position them inside my mittens on the outside of my fingers. Work really well. I sail unitl fingers get cold...then push down on my mittens until i hit the right spot on the hotsnapz, and then heat.(sometimes a little too hot). Will last about an hour or so with constant water flushing into the mitten. I Do this when air temp is in upper to mid 30's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: