myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best cold weather gloves / mitts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Neil Pryde open palm mittens. Lowest temperature I'll usually go is around 40F (although I have probably gone a little lower than that). The open palm is nice because if your hand is warm, you can flip the mitt back over your wrist and it is out of the way. Then as your fingers chill, you can flip it back over to warm up. If my hands get really cold, I'll stop, sit on my board and put my hands under my arm pits to warm up. Of course if you have to do any swimming, your hands will chill down instantly with the open palm. Its a compromise, but I'd rather have cold hands than fatigued forearms.

For feet, I use 7mm neoprene boots (no zip) from O'Neil. My feet never get cold in them unless I get a flush of water down my suit that goes down my leg and into the boot.

sm
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like Dakine Titanium mitts. The palm is grippy, thin and preformed.

My personal theory about the cramps is that it really helps to have something thin through which you can feel well the boom. Without a good feeling, you grab harder and don't relax your hands. I don't feel it's related to the extra diameter, but more to a slippery feeling. For that reason, I prefer my Aeron V-Grip in cold weather. It's easier to feel the boom and relax my fingers because of the boom shape.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - regardless of teh type of glove/mitt you use, you have to expect some intial forearm conditioning time to get your arms and hands used to wearing gloves while sailing. The first time you use them, expect your forearms to tire slightly. Each time you sail after that with the gloves, I've found my arms get more used to them and tire much less. As previously mentioned, proper harness line placement and sail tuning are key to reducing the amount of force you need to grip the boom and minimize arm fatigue.

Rob
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's important to keep the wind off your hands"
"Thin gloves reduce fatigue" "Open palms are a good compromise"

It doesn't snow here in SoCal very often, but when it gets cold (<60, California cold) I wear dishwashing gloves. No insulation, but they totally block the wind, and are paper-thin so you can feel the boom without using a death-grip. They do have a tendency to bunch up a bit, but you can get used to it pretty quickly, and double or triple your T.O.W..

Even if you're thinking "That's stupid, it won't work" it will only cost you about $1.69 to try it.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried lots of different glove and mitten setups. My favorite are open palm mitts - minimal forearm fatigue, but warm. For me, they work ok when air and water are above 45-50º F.

For lower temperatures, the by far best solution is the Ianovated wetsuit. It has a tube system that lets you blow on your hands while you are sailing. It lets me sail with open palm mitts even if air and water temps are near 32ºF. Cold weather sessions are a lot more fun since I bought the suit. Detail about the suit and earlier experiments on my blog at boardsurfr.blogspot.com/search/label/cold.
underwood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out http://www.ianovated.co.uk/. I don't have any personal experience but I've heard a lot of good things. Was going to do it myself but I'm too lazy. When I need a new wetsuit I am going to try one of these.
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin - 1 mm open palm mittens work great for me for 15 years. I added an Ianovated suit last year, and I never worry about cold hands anymore, 'cause I know I can warm them up with the suit tubes.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very prone to freezing fingertips, just placed an order for some NRS "toaster mitts" I'll report back on how they work.
outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
I'm very prone to freezing fingertips, just placed an order for some NRS "toaster mitts" I'll report back on how they work.

Tried them today, 30 degrees air, 34 water.
They are definitely warmer and more comfortable than the Dakine mitts I own. I lasted about an hour, my finger tips did get cold towards the end but so far these are the best I've found. Not too bad considering ice was forming on the sail!

cold.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.16 KB
 Viewed:  13658 Time(s)

cold.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have buds who do something like that ... drive 80 to 200 miles, undress in freezing air sometimes including precipitation, pile on layers of heavy bulk, go out in life-threatening conditions, sail for 10 minutes or even an hour or two if lucky (wintertime west-wind fronts around here often blow only very briefly, and are usually extremely gusty), undress again in icy air, and drive home again.

I just shake my head.

And, yes, I've tried it many times, so my choice to laugh at them is an informed choice.

More power to them. If they think it's fun, then it is, by definition, and that's what counts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: