myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark bites Kanaha Kiter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Avid windsurfer killed by shark while fishing. Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
He was dangling one leg over the edge of the yak while fishing with lures.
It took his foot. He wasn't alone and got help right away but bled out.
Sad event.

He did not get help right away. The other kayak was about 500 yards away and thought he had caught another bait fish. He had passed out by the time the other kayak got to him, it was to late. A tourniquet was applied. And it took maybe 20 minutes to paddle to the anchored snorkel boat.

Pat was my wing-man and I will deeply miss him. We were out in uppers every sailable day. We had given up snorkeling and swimming on the south side many years ago do to the threat of sharks. He had a wife and 3 brothers and no children.

Mike
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The increase in shark activity could be attributed to:

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/reasons-behind-increased-shark-attacks-off-maui/123
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
The increase in shark activity could be attributed to:

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/reasons-behind-increased-shark-attacks-off-maui/123

I believe this to be largely true, the author Terry Lilly knows what he is talking about, he dives nearly every day.
Wild animals need to have a fear of humans, when they lose their fear bad things always happen. People in shark cages chumming for sharks should be outlawed, the sharks just learn to associate humans with food.
Any shark that steals a fish off a spear or fishing line should be killed with a bangstick, handgun, whatever, to allow this behavior to continue invariably leads to even bolder actions by the sharks.
It's the same with bears.
I'm not advocating culling sharks just kill the ones behaving badly so they regain a healthy fear of us.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:

I believe this to be largely true, the author Terry Lilly knows what he is talking about, he dives nearly every day.
Wild animals need to have a fear of humans, when they lose their fear bad things always happen. People in shark cages chumming for sharks should be outlawed, the sharks just learn to associate humans with food.
Any shark that steals a fish off a spear or fishing line should be killed with a bangstick, handgun, whatever, to allow this behavior to continue invariably leads to even bolder actions by the sharks.
It's the same with bears.
I'm not advocating culling sharks just kill the ones behaving badly so they regain a healthy fear of us.

I agree with this. We (humans) do very stupid things. One of them is done in the name of tourism. And that is taking people up close and personal to sharks underwater. This is done by MANY dive companies in the Florida/Bahamas area. True, there haven't been any problems with this, BUT it is the long term consequences of the behavior we are changing in these predators that should concern us. And this is the first animal we have done this with......
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of behavior isn't tolerated by bears or other dangerous animals, why is this different with a fish?
Of course wild animals have a right to exist and shouldn't be killed needlessly but the other part of the equation is they need to have a healthy fear of us, the human/wild animal relationship dynamic is not friendship based Rolling Eyes
People who go on photographic safari's are often signing a death warrant for the animals, when they become habituated to close human presence they can either stray too close to human settlements to steal or forage food or allow poachers to walk right up to them. I really cringe when I see those doco's where the people creep up and get closer and closer to gorillas despite the animals obvious discomfort with it.
IMO, it's actually hunters paying for conservation and habitat restoration that save species vs the so called animal lovers that end up causing problems like this.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humans do this with animals all over the world nonstop John.
Ever been to Yellowstone? I have senn twenty people standing in a circle two meters around a large bear taking her picture.
Shark tours with no cages are everywhere there is water.
We regularly throw fools out of my Nature Reserve for putting their kids in a picture with a big croc.
I met a stripper with two big cats in her act.
They teach monkeys to sign.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of all that KC, when you go to a national park there are signs posted that say "Do NOT Feed the Bears"..
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC...can you elaborate on the stripper/big cats ???
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is too much so-called "ecotourism" and other types of tourism in places where people shouldn't go in large groups in order to preserve the wildness of the wild world.

Just today, I heard about "disaster tourism" where people tour scenes of disasters, like Chernobyl.

or how about Mt. Everest? supposedly, there is so much trash in the form of spent 02 bottles, tents, etc. (even bodies, I would guess), that they have thought of, or do, periodically shut it down for climbing so it doesn't get overwhelmed to with too much human-generated trash.

Where will it all end?
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
...Where will it all end?

I suppose we could take this to the political forum and discuss the role of government and the rule of law but...nah!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: