myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
florida wave challenge manager conducting a down winder 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: florida wave challenge manager conducting a down winder 2013 Reply with quote

strictly a social event and wave sailing good time. no contest, no prizes, no entry fees. bring your own gear. will have a panel truck to catch sailors at the bottom of course. some will want to downwind faster than others.

recommend a board bag to remain in the truck with your name tag on it. not a terribly bumpy ride up A1A, but there's a chance for scratches and dings....

when milling about before sailing, try to pair up with a buddy. that other sailor may best matched to be one who sails like you. some like a slower set of rides down wind than others. some may just want to blast down wind for another quick ride. buddies to stick together for any gear failures or wind strength issues. more details later at the site.

announcement to be made via the website. www.floridawavechallenge.com

most likely launch to be jetty park, CC downwind stopping point may be patrick AFB. cheers.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sav1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this was a poor decision made at the last minute. I checked the webpage on Friday and no information was posted in regard to the event. I ended up traveling to Jetty Park and sailing with about 6 other guys on Saturday most of which would have sailed Sunday.

The forecast for Sat/Sun took shape on Tuesday of the week which allowed sufficient time to post notice of the event. As this is the only event in Florida it is disappointing that it was cancelled.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way this event was announced was a format for some degree of success. first windy forecast of 3 listed WEEKEND days.

i and one other did the down winder. 8.5 miles, i used a 7.5 sail and a 111 liter X-Wave from exocet. my cohort used a 7.5 sail and original exocet kona 11'5". we had a great time.

turn out was about 12 people. most had 5.8 sails and small boards on their minds. conditions did not turn out as forecast until well after 1pm. it was informal, and there was too much waiting around for most.

tuesday it blew like crazy in the morning, then it rained and turned side off and light. i had hundreds of great waves, sunday thru tuesday. my puritanical work ethic got in the way of the strongest winds yesterday.

agreed, communication was not strong on this event. bruce said he wanted to test the idea first. thanks to him, i got a ride back up to cherie down park after a really good ride down hill. hardest part for me was seeing guys that should have done it and didn't. some have gear that would make it an easy excursion, yet they've been inculcated to be very conservative....

as usual, it was like trying to herd cats.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herding cats is easy. I do it every day. Open the can of food and they follow me anywhere. Windsurfers would want to know which brand, which flavor and what did the magazines have to say about it.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite the same needs, cats vs inculcated windsurfers. imagine living in florida, the average sail size i use is a 7.5. most forecasts are not very accurate. the wind is sometimes stronger, often lower. yet, most of the wave sailors in florida refuse to use larger stuff. they don't sail that much.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida Wave Challenge Annual Event set for Saturday, Nov 9

No contest this year just a gathering of friends. Check the FWC Website for details: http://www.floridawavechallenge.com/Florida_Wave_Challenge/Home.html
sav1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: HORRIBLE Reply with quote

I can't believe a downwinder was conducted not once but twice under the guise of a wavesailing event. What a horrible way to promote the sport! Sad Sad
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

want better? step up and do something.
sav1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the one adv for an event.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll expand. FWC manager did not want to conduct another wave event in florida. why? same old top 4 sailors, year over year. lots of time in between heats where one sails little. some said would rather conserve their energy than sail in between heats.

he had a network to communicate, and used it.

again, if you want better, bring it on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: