myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slotbox inserts/plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Slotbox inserts/plugs Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get these in the US ? I found a few sites in the UK that have inserts.

Also...what size are slotbox screws ?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my slotboxes from Matt Prichard, they come from Cobra/ TABOU, they cant be different than anyone else uses at Cobra.

matt@prichardwindsurfing.com
Matt had/has screws and boxes

Screws will depend on what the box is, Starboard had a grub screw similar to FCS for a start. The boxes I have use a self tapping screw with a Phillips head of sorts, with a cap. last were a dollar each, and from

http://kanahakai.com/ in Hawaii I have gotten screws from for COBRA slotboxes.
The USA importer for Starboard did not have any, NO. repeat NO dealer in the USA that I have checked with has any screws, odd beyond words.

( I have searched for the correct screw, and WTF, no one has this, probably something else would work, but the heads are weird)

janez@flikkaboards.com

AT FLIKKA boards can supply them. They have the trickiest boxes with brass inserts and internal head screws look to be very robust.

yes

FLIKKA d.o.o.
Hradeckega 35
1000 Ljubljana
Slovenija (EU)

depending on what you want them for other options for boxes are around. S/B are kinda a PITA to install. USBoxes are readily available, and dead easy to cut down to make shorter/less weight.

I have not seen any UK supplied boxes, but MOO Custom does make them, for sale or not...?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I don't need the screws yet. But i can see myself dropping one in the sand.

I might try and make inserts. Just need to find some plastic the same thickness as the box...then use my band saw to cut to shape.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they would be hard to make, but I would use Divinycell or Corecell as the outer layer , and then carbon layers.

the slotbox itself goes down about 6cm and is carbon, top sides and bottom.

the 2nd photo is the portion of the slotbox removed (on right) for installation.

FWIW the boxes in the photos weight:

in GRAMS
ProBox..49gr
US box.. 7 3/4" long..123gr
POWERBOX, 99 % intact..134gr
Soltbox..133gr

no shown but accurate weight MINI TUTTLE..96gr

USBox with divinycell epoxied for support..152gr
(epoxy is heavy stuff)

the installation process/materials , for me include pour foam, carbon & fiberglass sheet, so in theory the same for any box. Some would definately be better for side bites close to the rail, others for strength better for twin or large quad fins.

What I don't do is remove the slot box screws, only loosen enough to remove the fin, in my mind this area has been the weak link , the screws thru the box itself, so I leave in the threads that were created.

The screws also come/came in 2 different lengths, while the same otherwise, all the newer ones I have seen are longer. Part of the problem with the screw , finding a replacement, is the head wants to sit inside the slightly countersunk hole, to not poke out, its a unique head therefore.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Was curious what the slot box looked like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: