myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ABK clinic reviews?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreiA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: ABK clinic reviews? Reply with quote

Folks, I'm thinking about signing up for a 5-day ABK clinic.
Any feedback, pros, cons, first hand experiences?

Thank you!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an easy one. I've only done 3-day clinics with Andy, but it will be a truly amazing, wonderful, life and technique changing and improving experience. As an educator myself, I am always impressed with Andy's ability to differentiate his instruction for each individual student's needs (I know that's a bit of education-speak, but is something that all teachers need to do, and most do).

no matter what level you are at now, you will be better by the end of the clinic. Andy has broken down all the moves and techniques and has come up with a systematic way to build technique on skills already learned. The best part, though, as I stated above, is that he really tailors the instruction to individual needs.

Have fun!!
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a 5 day clinic in Hood River a couple of years ago, and had a great time. Plan on five solid days of windsurfing, by day five I was total toast. I was in the advanced class and that class worked on freestyle moves, in gorge 4.7 - 4.0 conditions. A real challange. Good class, glad i took it, it really challenged me and showed me how lame my sailing really is.

Get in shape before the class.......

KMF
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly recommend it.

Seems like many of the good sailors I know have taken ABK clinics. How Andy breaks down the moves eliminates lots of trial and error. Also, the on water feedback during the clinic really helps progression.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done 2. From a dollar spent perspective they offer a lot of information, and your brain/body may be in overload.

But it will come back to you and you can practice what you absorbed without knowing it sunk in.

OTOH some could benefit more from a private lesson, of shorter duration with individualized attention . YMMV

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it.

Most ABK campers are repeaters because ABK camps are great. You will have more fun windsurfing after an ABK camp. I have done more than a dozen, and that is still true after every camp. I am a slow learner, with many bad habits from 30 years windsurfing that are difficult to forget. My lovely wife learned all her planing skills at ABK camps within the last 4 years. She learned the planing jibe during one ABK camp on Bonaire. She now windsurfs better than I do.

If you want more details, check the pages about ABK on my blog, or this video about an ABK camp in Bonaire.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: ABK clinic reviews? Reply with quote

AndreiA wrote:
Folks, I'm thinking about signing up for a 5-day ABK clinic.
Any feedback, pros, cons, first hand experiences?

Thank you!

I've done three, four, and five day clinics with ABK. They were all wonderful. I've taken well over a dozen since the late 1990's, and have never been disappointed. My wife has liked them too (ABK is a great way to get a significant other into the sport. Particularly in Bonaire.)

Full disclosure: On rare occasions I teach with ABK.

metwo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: abk Reply with quote

Best thing I've done for my windsurfing. I try and do one a year. Andy and his guys can do the moves but more important can teach others how to do them. Very impressed on their ability to give instructions so the student can make their goals.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Thank you guys! Reply with quote

Appreciate all comments!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: abk Reply with quote

Do it if you can In South Padre Island during the month of April. The air and water are warm. The wind is great. Best of all, the water is shallow for miles. The instructors stand in waist deep water while they instruct you.
Condos are abundant. Great eats. Its pretty hard to beat no matter if your learning the straps or some crazy freestyle move. When you fall you simply do a beach start in knee deep water. Its strange to go five miles out and see people standing and resting. Love it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: