myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kovalski Straps for Wavesailing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sav1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Kovalski Straps for Wavesailing Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience with these straps in a wave application? The weight savings over standard straps when wet is claimed at 8 oz. which is significant but I'm interested to know if they have the stability for wave sailing and aerial moves. They have a dedicated freestyle/ bump and jump strap in production.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to SEARCH the forum on that topic. We beat that weight savings claim to death last year, and the year before, etc. One such weight savings claim was in the pounds range ... as though a footstrap could soak up a pint of water.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to this site :

http://www.windsurfdeal.com/?link=8

the weight savings is 700grams or 24.69 oz for a set of four,
weight savings of 6oz per footstrap, if you use 3 then my math is not good, but 525 grams savings or 18.5oz

I like the look of them, white,blue yellow, black and red, made in Switzerland, by a Polish gentleman I presume.

Cost per strap is a whopping EACH $39.00 Shipping a little costly from Cally $15.00 for something that is so light weight, should fit in small flat rate box free from the post office for...$5.80

$132 for 3 straps delivered, I like em, but not eating a Whopper Jr would do the same for saving weight.

I need a set of 3, and would dearly like to try them, bit too pricy for my pockets.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
sav1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I searched the forums and the weight savings was mentioned but there was no talk of performance. I know they are made for slalom application but they do have a dedicated freestyle/ bump and jump version. Anyone?
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of money for a wave board. Sometimes, a little more weight, coupled with security, durability, consistency, longevity, is worth more than 1.5 lbs.
Worthy on freestyle or slalom if you compete.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.den-8.dk/new-footstraps

part of the above text ,REF wave boards*****

The Kovalski straps are available in a wide and a narrow version, both use same type of material and setup. I’ve primarilly been using the wide strap types for my iSonic’s and on my HWR formula. On the HWR formula I opted for a narrow type for the chicken strap though. When using the straps on narrower/smaller slalom boards the narrow strap is better suited, this applies for dedicated speed sailors and wave sailors as well. The narrow strap has the same dimensions as any regular neoprene strap on the market, i.e. Dakine. There’s a wide variety of colours available, white-black, red-black, blue, yellow etc. so choosing a match for your preferred setup should be easy. ***********

windsurfdeal say*******
It’s easy to go in and out and move your feet like needed if you go big and want to have full control in sliding tricks or tweaking jumps. ********

the narrow straps dont have a color option listed so ..?

the plateletts are 2.50 each

more intrigued but very pricy. Cant say that I would have any doubt them working in B&J or freestyle

write the inventor:

arminkovalski@sunrise.ch

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some feedback about the Kovalski footstraps on the German forum. Two guys loved them (they always wear shoes), and one guy did not like them (he sails barefoot).

I have tried other slim (racing) footstraps, and found them very uncomfortable. The design goals of those were different, though - maximum connection to the board at minimum weight, with comfort being completely irrelevant. The Kovalski straps seem more comfort-oriented.

I might just have to get some to try them. I don't care much about the weight savings, but I like the idea that they absorb much less water. That should keep the van dryer. Taking wet sails out of the van when I get home is easy enough, but taking boards out to dry footstraps would be a pain. A pound of water in the straps seems like a bit much to put into the van - especially now that it starts to freeze at night.

One thing that makes me hesitate (besides the price) is that they are on the same page as the "Clip harness lines". I bought those a while back, and they were a complete waste of money. I hated them. My wife got bad blisters on her hands from the lines (she sails with her hands right on the harness line). The only thing these plastic harness lines are good for are as Xmas presents for people you hate.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I found some feedback about the Kovalski footstraps on the German forum. Two guys loved them (they always wear shoes), and one guy did not like them (he sails barefoot).

I have tried other slim (racing) footstraps, and found them very uncomfortable. The design goals of those were different, though - maximum connection to the board at minimum weight, with comfort being completely irrelevant. The Kovalski straps seem more comfort-oriented.

I might just have to get some to try them. I don't care much about the weight savings, but I like the idea that they absorb much less water. That should keep the van dryer. Taking wet sails out of the van when I get home is easy enough, but taking boards out to dry footstraps would be a pain. A pound of water in the straps seems like a bit much to put into the van - especially now that it starts to freeze at night.

One thing that makes me hesitate (besides the price) is that they are on the same page as the "Clip harness lines". I bought those a while back, and they were a complete waste of money. I hated them. My wife got bad blisters on her hands from the lines (she sails with her hands right on the harness line). The only thing these plastic harness lines are good for are as Xmas presents for people you hate.

FWIW after all my negative comments, but mostly on price, I will order 1 set , like you said to try.

sav1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the research. I'm concerned about the stability in moves like forwards where there is a lot of torque on the feet and wipeouts in the waves. I'm not so sure if they have the torsional rigidity. Please update the thread if you purchase some.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They appear to be very similar to the Dakine Contours I've been using for about 4 years now.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: