myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New board on the way!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If you read my earlier post, you'll see that the wings are intended to act as side fins, but without the extra drag when going straight. I'm mostly a BAFer and a B & J sailor, who dabbles a bit in waves when I get a chance. Blaze is intended to work everywhere, lemme try her and I'll have a full report, whether it works well or not.

I wasn't a Nelson believer until I rode the aforementioned 90 liter Blaster in Maui this past summer. I gave it back, drove up the hill & ordered my board right then & there. The man's truly gifted as a shaper.

"No drag when going straight" hee hee hee!

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the future.
That reminds me of the Spindrift sailboards that came out of Santa Barbara back in the late 80's. Those boards had chined rails that ran the full length of the board kinda like those in the pic, but not quite as wide.
When groveling, you had full with of the board, but at speed the board became narrower thus faster, and those boards were fast!
George Greenough was instrumental in developing those rails which he also employed on the spoons that he would sail.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou HAD

the duck tail or dual tail, purpose was to make the board sail smaller once underway.
unfortunate it all downsized the planing flat

Its history now.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
No. If you read my earlier post, you'll see that the wings are intended to act as side fins, but without the extra drag when going straight. I'm mostly a BAFer and a B & J sailor, who dabbles a bit in waves when I get a chance. Blaze is intended to work everywhere, lemme try her and I'll have a full report, whether it works well or not.

I wasn't a Nelson believer until I rode the aforementioned 90 liter Blaster in Maui this past summer. I gave it back, drove up the hill & ordered my board right then & there. The man's truly gifted as a shaper.

"No drag when going straight" hee hee hee!

I did read your earlier posts,

What I read WAS:

this should work like side fins. & Keep you fingers crossed for me, this is an expensive gamble.

which is a far cry from WILL work like side fins.

Interesting concept.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
swchandler: I wish! George is the reason I became a kneeboarder, and is one of my heros. Almost tried to build myself a "flex-spoon" back then, but didn't have the technology or the money to try. I saw him kneeboarding at County Line once back then, he totally ripped!(duh!)

George Greenough is/was a great innovator in windsurfing, although I know very little about it. I'm told he invented the "Z-boom", and used to make his own masts around a cable strung between two trees. By the billabong, I would assume.

I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a book about him? Autobiography?

Not sure about the Z-boom thing, he used to sail with us at Lopez Lake on one of his several spoons back in the late 80's. A couple friends of mine had Z-booms at the same time, same place, and I never saw George talk to them about their booms when he easily could have. He was always using his home made carbon booms with strips of knobby tire glued to the inside of the grips for his home made hook projection harness.
Super nice guy, loved to talk story.

But for a bio with additional links you can try
http://encyclopediaofsurfing.com/entries/greenough-george
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.15 KB
 Viewed:  12386 Time(s)

image.jpg

justall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New board on the way! Reply with quote

rexi wrote:

Just wanted to share my anticipation, i feel like a kid waiting for christmas Smile

I'm psyched for you ... I could hardly stand the wait for my newest board to be delivered. The night I unboxed it, I brought it upstairs to the bedroom, so I could see it first thing in the morning. Crazy. But, still love that thing. Hope you get an inaugural run soon.
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c: Hey, where'd you get that old picture of me?!

As usual, you're cracking me up, see you next summer!

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie, looks cool! AHD had a board with similar (but much much smaller) attributes about 10 years ago. I think it was called the Maxx Ride DRT... but I can't find any info on it with a quick web search. Maybe it was more in the tail, but my recollection is that it had a sharp rail on the planing surface and then a really soft 50/50 rail that stuck out about an inch wider, just 1/4 inch above the sharp rail. I think it went most of the length of the board but I could be wrong.

And REXI!!!!!!!!! DUDE, that is an awesome board. You are very lucky to get one. And New, too?? Where the heck did you find that?? I thought they were all long gone. The later versions are planing earlier and are faster, but that is still a SICK board.

Regarding setup- That particular board can be a bit twitchy so maybe spreading the fins apart a bit at first would lock it down. Or just go for it and bunch 'em up nice and tight and see what she's capable of! I usually go with about a "2 finger spread" between the front and back fins. Tighter will make the board looser and more pivoty, and a further spread will lock it in a bit more in the turns.

Back footstrap should be in the second to back, or the back holes. Front straps have 2 options for the angle- I prefer the inboard angle for wave riding. If you're jumping more, you might like the outside holes better. I had my front straps in the second from the front holes, I think? It's a pretty big spread on your stance but you'll get used to it.

Have fun!!! Dang, stoked for you!!

(pics are from my current 2014 DaCurve 86, but it should translate to your '11 79)

IMG_4367.jpg
 Description:
The standard "2 finger spread" between front and back fins. Back fins are basically fixed but if there's room slide them forward. Front fins are basically as far back as you can get them.
 Filesize:  316.34 KB
 Viewed:  12266 Time(s)

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg
 Description:
Front strap angle choices- use outboard hole for more traditional setting, and inboard hole for wave riding
 Filesize:  236.84 KB

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg
 Description:
Back footstrap in the back holes, over the back fins as much as possible.
 Filesize:  315.89 KB

IMG_4368.jpg

http://wind-nc.com
rexi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hodad.andy, Thanks for the info!

I have no experience setting up a multi fin board so that is really useful. I have heard that the board is a rather slow planer so that isnīt a surprise for me. Someone told me that it could be set as a twin as well, have you any experience with that? i guess that would make it more slidey and skatey, but would it make it plane earlier due to less drag?

Right now the forecast for next friday - sunday is looking good with proper dtl conditions at this spot Smile fingers crossed..

IMG_1877.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  12246 Time(s)

IMG_1877.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: