myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jp funster 180 vs 205

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Jp funster 180 vs 205 Reply with quote

Just curious if there is a big difference performance wise between the jp funster 180 and 205
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not ridden the board but I'll be Captain Obvious here.

Unless you are a really big guy you will not notice the difference in volume. The flotation of both boards will feel exactly the same to a 165 lb. sailor like me. The biggest difference you would notice is in a planing jibe. The extra 10 width will require a much bigger step. The 180 will be far more nimble than the 205, but I'm not sure nimble is the correct term for a 180 liter board Laughing

Coachg
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP Funster is included in this excellent article on "improver" boards. JP now makes the Explorer--which is pretty much a copy of the Fanatic Viper--as well. My only personal experience with short-wide-heavy boards was a brief ride on an RRD Evolution M (251x78). I found no redeeming qualities; sailed like a barge.

http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/group-test/soft-tops-freerides-jan-2009.html
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article indeed.

They don't cover longboards but they can be an option too. The Kona One and other similar boards glide decently and can plane very well too. I'm quite happy I got one and don't plan to part with it soon.
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given a choice of the Funster 180 vs 205...Id say go for the 180. Ive been using this board for the past 2 years and have had a bast on it..I Find it planes and turns much more faster than the 205.

This board is also has a huge range as I have used it in 1knot to 25knot winds and its extremely sturdy without feeling like a barge.

However, instead of these boards..I would definately recommend a longboard instead as they can be a lot of fun in lighter winds...Look at the kona, rrd longrider or even the old longboards.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught on both boards this summer so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

First off, I LOVE the Funster for teaching. Very responsive to weigh shifts and for most people with "good balance" it is plenty of board to learn on. It is my favorite board to teach and play on.

I used the 205 a lot for beginner teaching. It did everything I needed it to do, and did it very well. Part of our training was to get students on smaller and smaller boards in the more advanced beginner lessons to get them ready for beach starts and water starts. So I did spend some time on the 180. It did seem very forgiving. If you get down to the 160 and 145 that changes. I don't recommend them for beginners unless it is going to be some kind of a transition board.

So the question is if you are going to try to plane on this board or just use it as a beginner board. If you are not planning on planning on it (funny how it looks like the same word Very Happy ), then I would stick with the 205. If you do however hope to plane on it in the future, then the 180 would be a better selection ASSUMING your weight is appropriate ( I weight 180).

But either way I recommend attaching a bungie type cord to the centerboard and the main board. If you flip the Funster upside down there is the potential for the centerboard to fall through the board and it sinks....
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jp funster 180 vs 205 Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
I am 135 lbs and sail in mostly in 8 to 16 knot winds. My sail is a 5.5. I am returning to windsurfing after being away from it for some years.

Len, I have taken the liberty of quoting from your earlier post to avoid confusion for others. I am about your weight, 140# (or 13 years old on the beaglebuddy scale.) While your current board is pretty narrow for your intended uses, that is no reason to get a swim raft. About 75 cm wide is imho about as much as you could possibly need even in the lightest wind. The article I referenced gives a good idea of what is and has been available for the last 15 or so years to help get you to that short board experience, but as others have noted it's too old to take into account the latest long boards which are wider and more user friendly than the old ones. If it is in the budget, I would suggest a Kona One or, perhaps even better, a windsup. When you take the family to the beach there will always be something to do, and it is something you can enjoy for years to come. I have one on my Christmas list, though it won't be this year as Santa is a little short. (Ha ha, sometimes I just crack myself up.) Another route would be used freeride boards in the 75cm range, probably around 150 liters or so. Use the web to familiarize yourself with them and you'll be ready to hit the shops and swaps in the spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: