myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatteras in Late Jan/Feb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinger4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Hatteras in Late Jan/Feb Reply with quote

I am looking to head down for some winter windsurfing and was wondering the best place to stay. I want a campground on the water if possible. I will be traveling solo and plan to split time between the shore and the sound. I plan to sail for 4-5 days and will be watching the forecast. When it looks good I will drive down. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!!!

Craig
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Frisco Woods Campgrounds located in Frisco. They have great water access for windsurfing with campsites on the water. they also have small cabins for rent as well. Not sure if they are open year round though - google and check their web site. If they are closed, there are numerous small motels and inns that offer discount rooms during the off season - do a search for those. I did a similar trip during that time frame some years back and stayed in a motel in Buxton - ground floor room so I could bring my boards in at night with small kitchen. Very cool experience and well worth it.

Good Luck,
Rob
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see OBX Bill's post? Right now there is no driving down to Buxton. or Avon. Or Waves, Salvo etc. The Bonner Bridge is closed.

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2013/12/03/breaking-bonner-bridge-closed-due-to-safety-concerns/

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, please let me know if you come down this winter! I'm always looking for people to hit the water with. And conditions are usually insane, as long as you have a good wetsuit!

I believe that Frisco Woods usually closes down during the winter. I would check with Rodanthe watersports and campground, or the KOA, or Camp Hatteras, if you want direct sound side access. Otherwise, Sands of Time in Avon, or any of the little hotels in Buxton are a great choice for housing.

Re: the bridge- repairs are already scheduled/in process. Initial estimates are for the closure to last just a few weeks, up to 3 months max for worst case scenario.

In the meantime, ferries are running from Stumpy Point to Rodanthe, which adds about 2-3 (relaxing boat ride) hours to the normal drive times. Not the end of the world. The island is OPEN, it just takes a little bit longer to get here.

http://wind-nc.com
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, as Andy noted, for folks coming down to "vacation" on HI, it should not be a problem and with winter schedule, the Stumpy Pt ferry should not be too busy.

However, for "locals" who are off HI (live in Nags Head, KDH, etc...), like myself, and are interested in simply a few hours to catch waves/wind "down south," its more of a problem.

Though on another note, what is up with Canadian Hole? Heard that there is now fencing around the area? Have not seen images, but only heard through grapevine. Any news there Andy?

bb
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it for us mainland kooks! Sorry about it for you though Bill!

btbill wrote:
Yea, as Andy noted, for folks coming down to "vacation" on HI, it should not be a problem and with winter schedule, the Stumpy Pt ferry should not be too busy.

However, for "locals" who are off HI (live in Nags Head, KDH, etc...), like myself, and are interested in simply a few hours to catch waves/wind "down south," its more of a problem.

dinger4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info. I was aware of the closure and don't mind the ferry ride. Andy, I will definitely let you know when I hit the road. Bringing the wet suit and dry suit. Sail year round here in CT. Psyched to have someone to sail with!!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Is there any primo NE wind and wave conditions like yourself, John and I shared at Izzy in September that time of year?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE is the predominant wind direction throughout the winter months.........it blows often and hard!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reiner, YES, there is usually quite a bit of NE wind during the winter. That and west to NW.

I recommend avoiding the super tempting nuking and warm SW forecasts during the winter months. They rarely come to fruition. Many more tips and seasonal guidelines can be found in the Hatteras windsurfing guide on the website below. Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: