myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New To GoPro Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, I did this project in about 30 minutes with spare parts from my garage that worked really well.

1) I used white PVC T pipe that I had. I filled the vertical thread with 2 part marine epoxy. Then quickly stuffed a stainless steel bolt that matched my cameras mounting nut. Made sure it was level and it set up in 20 minutes. I put a thin rubber washer to adjust the height so it would snug up perfectly forward. You can sand the rubber down if you need it to be more or less snug. This whole contraption fits perfectly over the rear of my boom. I inserted another screw that I threaded by just hand tightening in through a small hole in the plastic so the whole thing doesn't turn.

2) For my mast mount I simply cut a piece of ABS in half, and it snapped over the top of my sail perfectly. (stainless screw from bottom out.

In both cases I just ground the screw to the right height and they worked perfectly. As you can see, the pink line goes over my boom to secure the gear in case of accident, or loops over the top of the sail head for security.

Here is my 1st go out using it. Very rough, but passable. You cannot see the size of the surf from this position. It was large! Next good day I'll do the boom mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5bN5DAQro

CAM00007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  517.91 KB
 Viewed:  14909 Time(s)

CAM00007.jpg

skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Just for fun, I did this project in about 30 minutes with spare parts from my garage that worked really well.

1) I used white PVC T pipe that I had. I filled the vertical thread with 2 part marine epoxy. Then quickly stuffed a stainless steel bolt that matched my cameras mounting nut. Made sure it was level and it set up in 20 minutes. I put a thin rubber washer to adjust the height so it would snug up perfectly forward. You can sand the rubber down if you need it to be more or less snug. This whole contraption fits perfectly over the rear of my boom. I inserted another screw that I threaded by just hand tightening in through a small hole in the plastic so the whole thing doesn't turn.

2) For my mast mount I simply cut a piece of ABS in half, and it snapped over the top of my sail perfectly. (stainless screw from bottom out.

In both cases I just ground the screw to the right height and they worked perfectly. As you can see, the pink line goes over my boom to secure the gear in case of accident, or loops over the top of the sail head for security.

Here is my 1st go out using it. Very rough, but passable. You cannot see the size of the surf from this position. It was large! Next good day I'll do the boom mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5bN5DAQro

Interesting design. I should have put a picture of the one i made. I basically uses t fitting cut in two lenghtwise. Similar to the masthero, but cheaper.

I am making a clewview mount using an old tail piece from an old boom. Still working on it.

Anyone else with home made mounts.
And YES i did search....not much on home made mounts..(at least not on this forum).
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a simple caliper of Lexan, like this but much simpler:

I fasten it to any boom with tape, Velcro straps, or little 6" bungee cords. It works fine, is much less obtrusive, weighs virtually nothing, and puts the camera right where it needs to be ... just below the tail of the boom. The swivel end of one piece flares out more than the other to allow the camera to mount without the caliper bolt interfering.

Mike \m/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I made a simple caliper of Lexan, like this but much simpler:

I fasten it to any boom with tape, Velcro straps, or little 6" bungee cords. It works fine, is much less obtrusive, weighs virtually nothing, and puts the camera right where it needs to be ... just below the tail of the boom. The swivel end of one piece flares out more than the other to allow the camera to mount without the caliper bolt interfering.

Mike \m/

can you take a picture of it on the boom ? doesn't have to be riigged... trying to picture it in my head.

WHen i did my version of a clew view mount using a tailpeice of an old boom...it worked or seemed to work really well....that is until i tried to put it on at the beach. It would work when the boom was fully retracted....but when extended to put on a sail....the boom was too wide for my tail piece. IT may still work with my 3.8 or 4.2... maybe with my 4.6....but no my 5.4. I have an even older boom with a hinged tail piece...will try that.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301129709078?lpid=82

But you'd need a Go Pro adapter, which Flymount makes

-Craig

$_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.85 KB
 Viewed:  14860 Time(s)

$_3.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
can you take a picture of it on the boom ?

I'll look harder for the camera and mount. I've been casually looking for their box for a year or so, and it hasn't turned up. I pretty much stashed them and forgot about them once I saw what its extreme fisheye lens did to anything more than a meter or so away.
ben.eliyahu.tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thin spectra line, one helmet mount and a touch of imagination later... have yet to try this but I think this set up should work. doesn't really move and is about as as minimalist as it gets I think! I agree the fish eye sucks Isobars but you can change the setting getting the camera to shoot at a 90 degree or 70 degree field of vision instead of the default 110 which makes a huge difference, the gopro editing software also allows you to remove some of the fisheye effect I believe

skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of using the helmet strap mount on the boom end as some have done. But not really enough room. Maybe my smaller wave sails....but my larger freeride sails no.
ben.eliyahu.tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they way mine is presently mounted it takes up about as much space as the knot holding the end of me outhaul in place Very Happy
skyking1231 wrote:
I thought of using the helmet strap mount on the boom end as some have done. But not really enough room. Maybe my smaller wave sails....but my larger freeride sails no.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote a post on the various GoPro mounts that can be used on a windsurf board and sail.
included commercially available connectors and DIY ones as well:

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2012/12/gopro-hero.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: