myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Has the Kanaha Situation Been Resolved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Has the Kanaha Situation Been Resolved? Reply with quote

I hope it has. But I'm really glad that things escalated the way they did. As someone who has kited in the past, and hopes to in the future, I'm always surprised at the bad reaction from reckless kiters when you point out that kiters have been banned from launches due to recklessness.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Kanaha last week. As usual there were 3 or 4 kiter's, kiting where they didn't belong. OTOH, there were 40 who followed the rules and were courteous on the water.

The swim buoys had been moved aside. I wonder why. Is it because there had been a large surf event, or because of the lawyers, or some change in where they'll be.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are having meetings.
The swim buoys were a private effort that were removed when they began to set up to block the whole area.
That was cancelled because you guys wrote letters to friggin everybody. Several gov. agencies not really related sent people to a meeting just because of the mail volume.
It helps to recall the rule for kiters. They can sail anywhere except in front of the airport.
The previous rules were a gentlemans agreement between the kiters and us.
Some of them aren't gentlemen.
Ever notice that rude kiters seem only to be men?
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The swim buoys were a private effort that were removed when they began to set up to block the whole area. That was cancelled because you guys wrote letters to friggin everybody. Several gov. agencies not really related sent people to a meeting just because of the mail volume."

Nice.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PRIVATE effort on PUBLIC beaches? The sheer ignorance of some anarchists is mind-numbing. SURELY that's not what was really going on ... SURELY it was just the labor that was privately donated, like Gorge venue cleanup "work parties", with government oversight and approval all the way?

SHIRLEY??? Very Happy
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more comments/questions:

1: Is this the first time that windsurfers have been lumped together with kiters in a banning situation?

2: The first response bothers me. If I had a windsurfing area that I liked, and it was next to a closed off swimming area, I wouldn't wait for a swimmer to complain about a windsurfer. Fellow windsurfers would warn that windsurfer before anyone else could. Doesn't seem to work that way in the kiting world.

∫√                                               ming area
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting Leslie Neilsen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

-Craig

isobars wrote:
A PRIVATE effort on PUBLIC beaches? The sheer ignorance of some anarchists is mind-numbing. SURELY that's not what was really going on ... SURELY it was just the labor that was privately donated, like Gorge venue cleanup "work parties", with government oversight and approval all the way?

SHIRLEY??? Very Happy
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We weren't actually lumped together with kiters. There is a long thread on this.
briefly
The entire beach was designated swimming only before windsurfing came along.
All others,fishers in boats, kayak, all board sports were banned in my childhood.
Windsurfing came and they ignored us. To retain at least one swimming only area, the windsurf shops have been roping off an area to swim, and maintaining it at their own expense.
A tourist kiter picked a fight with a swimmer and the longstanding rule against all craft launching was going to be enforced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: