myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are you serious about your health, fitness, and longevity?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Are you serious about your health, fitness, and longevity? Reply with quote

Anyone already bored may now click to the next thread, at your own peril. The rest of you should read to the end before crying BS at these often surprising facts. (Anyone unwilling to wade through even this long post, let alone whole books on the topic, either knows it all already, thinks he does, or lacks the tenacity to reap their benefits. We get out of exercise no more than -- and very often much less than -- the knowledge and effort we put into it.)

Peer-reviewed research shows:

Massaging tired muscles decreases blood flow and traps lactic acid in them.

Modest warmups boost performance (even golfers got 60% better accuracy), but

Many people warm up far too long before competition.

Stretching is probably bad for our muscles, and impairs performance up to 30%.

Weight training increases mental performance, aerobic fitness, and joint mobility.

NSAIDS (e.g., Advil, cortisone shots) inhibit both healing and exercise adaptation.

Ice is no better; save it for fresh, rapidly swelling, traumatic injury.

Muscle atrophy begins before 40 and is reversible only with resistance training.

Muscle cramps are not from dehydration or low electrolytes.

Cramps’ best systemic cure so far is a swallow of pickle juice, for unknown reasons.

Drinking too much water can kill, even in a hot marathon. In fact,

The most dehydrated long distance runners are the leaders.

Running is good for knees, yet

More than 20 miles a week at or above a steady 8-minute pace shortens lifespans.

30%-90% of runners hurt themselves each year.

DNA strongly predicts one’s attitude towards exercise, but

Exercise significantly and quickly changes an individual’s DNA.

The “right amount” of exercise is too individualized to define, but

Both extremes -- none and every day -- decrease health-related quality of life.

Prolonged sitting is very harmful, often literally fatal, even if we also exercise a LOT.

Measurable medical decline begins with just one day of absolute rest, and

Endurance exercise does not fully reverse it.

The only cure for prolonged sitting’s impacts is getting up and moving very often.

The mortality benefit of exercise derives from the first 20 minutes each day, but

Exercise’s many other very significant benefits* require more time and effort.

* It improves lipids, blood glucose, aerobic fitness, balance, safety, heart, QOL, longevity, bone strength, cognitive function, joint health, and much more.

The fundamental principle of exercise: increased fitness requires increased challenges.

EVERYONE benefits dramatically from interval training (intense bursts of effort), and

That applies to everything from simple housecleaning to Olympic training.

Intervals can provide all the exercise average people really NEED in just minutes per week.

Nothing burns fat like interval training, especially if done before breakfast … and

Especially if we push the high intensity segments to our individual max.

Sedentary seniors benefit most from resistance and/or interval training.

Seniors may not bulk up much, but will get MUCH stronger from resistance training.

Perception measures our level of exertion better than do electronic devices.

Carb preloading makes us fat, not faster or stronger.

Chocolate skim milk boosts recovery and long term benefit better than energy drinks.

Carbs are vital during hard exercise lasting over 2.5 hours. More specifically,

High fructose corn syrup is a vital recovery nutrient between long sessions.

Antioxidant supplements reduce performance, adaptation, immunity, and insulin control.

Lactic acid is a fuel, not a demon, beyond the first few seconds of burn.

Beyond a very modest minimum, core strength does not aid athletic performance.

Quick sweating with exercise is a healthy indicator of being in better shape.

Forget orthotics and anti-pronation shoes. Run in comfortable, cheap, light shoes.

Even modest joint injuries predict permanent damage and future injuries.

“Tendonitis” is not an “itis”; it is degeneration, best treated by many months of rest.

Exercise physiology experts say:
Overall physical fitness is best defined by one’s cardiovascular fitness, and

Only about 30% of that is genetic, so the rest is up to us.

The best medicine or technique for improving your cognitive abilities is exercise.

Physical decline is due more to inactivity than age. That reinforces the notion that

Much, maybe most, of the lameness we see in seniors is self-inflicted and reversible.

Surprised, even skeptical, at how many long-accepted exercise principles are apparently wrong about stretching, aerobics, muscle cramps, icing, NSAIDS such as Advil, weight loss, running shoes and orthotics, core strength, recovery drinks, those “bad” high fructose corn syrups, running, flexibility, carb loading, “bad” lactic acid, massage, and more?

What brought all this together and to my attention was another exceptionally useful exercise physiology book I recently read. Anyone paying attention to this subject in this forum knows how strongly I respect and recommend two books above the other 98 or so I’ve read on this topic. “Body By Science” and “P.A.C.E.” stand head and shoulders above the rest in transforming the many results and the time efficiency of my strength and cardiovascular workout programs, and in turn the quality and expected length of my life. This new book reinforces and works synergistically with not only those two outstanding books but most exercise physiology books … especially by updating MANY obligatory but apparently outdated notions about exercise we only thought we understood. Many of you will agree that this book presents “Surprising science”, as the book cover accurately states, about how we can “exercise better, train smarter, and live longer.” (I'd add sail harder and longer.)

What more can most of us ask from working out?

This third outstanding book is “The First 20 Minutes”, by Gretchen Reynolds. I consider it a GREAT resource for serious exercisers, an excellent adjunct to “Body By Science” and “P.A.C.E.”. These three books can transform any of us in far less time and with far less harm than we thought possible.

I’ve seen many of these important and very useful research findings in many other sources, but it’s both convenient and reassuring to see so many of them, applicable to most of our exercise from WSing to the gym, confirmed in one source and based on so many highly regarded experts. Reynolds doesn’t cite references by chapter and verse, but she does name the very impressive leading researchers she consulted and/or read on each of these topics. It’s not difficult for us to use those names and topics to Google up the original research, cited in endless detail in other books, if we need further proof.

I choose instead to try out the BBS and PACE books in the gym and on the water rather than wading through all the PubMed literature they cite. (The peer-reviewed literature on BBS’s Superslow® resistance training violate its principles, thus understate its benefits.) I remain not just satisfied but extremely impressed by them, having improved my ratio of benefits to time invested at LEAST tenfold with 100% fewer injuries. That, to me, is well worth the far greater intensity and will power these programs involve. Relative to these programs, the cardio/aerobics and weight training programs we see most commonly in gyms are naps on heated silk sheets with frequent injuries, a shorter life span, and/or lower QOL likely. The other extremes (e.g., CrossFit, P90X, Insanity) are highly injury-prone and thus at odds with people whose goal is maximum shred time.

I’m really looking forward to further boosting my workouts, my WSing, my sleep, my health, and even my internet time with the principles from “20 Minutes”. Some of them have already VASTLY improved my lipids and glucose and maybe even my cancer.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a problem with this post.

I cant read it all, its making me puke. Quite a lot of your
PEER review research .. ? What is that ?

you should include a DISCLAIMER ( a statement that is meant to prevent an incorrect understanding of something (such as a book, a movie, or an advertisement)

Yes , if you drink too much water you will drown

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
YMMV.

Research is based on statistics, not certainties. YMMV is thus a given, but unless we have explicit reason to believe we're an exception, we're likely to fit the mold. Another author, the team physician for the Philadelphia ballet and the 76ers, said only three groups should be stretching: ballet dancers and gymnasts willing to put their joints at very high risk to be competitive, and people undergoing rehab to recover normal mobility lost to injury or surgery.

As for puking, drowning (which has nothing to do with hyponatremia), disclaimers, and the other reasons for being unwilling to study the topic at length ... you answered the title question for us. That's your privilege. No need to drag the thread down for others.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true others may indeed believe EVERYTHING that you have written, or not.

You are welcome to disagree with others courteously without attacking them personally. If you do not like the content of someone’s posts, the solution is to simply NOT read or respond to their post - so their post will more quickly drop to the bottom of the pile. We must realize that sometimes we become part of the problem if we constantly engage someone whom we consider to be a problem user. Remember that young people and others thinking about taking up windsurfing do read these forums to learn about the sport - and the character of its participants. Phrase your posts accordingly

While I could not respond, It would feel like those that ignored the
Nazi holocaust

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love nothing better than to see others post and discuss published evidence-based research disproving these or any other research findings. Until that time, I'll base my play and workout paradigms on the scientific evidence until I have specific reason to believe I'm an exception to any given rule ... as many of us are in various instances.

I'd hate to waste my gym time or impact my health or shred time due to operating on disproved research. Moreover, I've made and keep making several life-affecting decisions based on my personal study of many hundreds of PubMed peer-reviewed cancer research publications, so currency and validity are vital.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with much of what you have posted. Some is quite questionable however. Peer review? By whom? Most of it is opinion. I take much with a grain of salt.
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you serious about your health, fitness, and longevity? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Muscle cramps are not from dehydration or low electrolytes.

Cramps’ best systemic cure so far is a swallow of pickle juice, for unknown reasons.

These two consecutive lines explain it all.

Statistics without investigating causal relationships is just... statistics, not science.

After all, what is pickle juice, other than electrolytes and water?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuser, this one is also a doosey: Beyond a very modest minimum, core strength does not aid athletic performance.

So many titles on Isobar's business card! [/quote]
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about obsessional behaviour. Just think what Robert Marchand, the 100 year old record breaking French Cyclist could have achieved, had he only put in such depth of research.

On his 100th birthday, just to mark the occasion, he rode 24.251 kilometres in an hour, and broke the record for his age group. In explanation he said he wasn't really tired because his doctor had advised him to keep his pulse rate around 110 or so. So he hadn't REALLY been trying.

His advice to young and old -- 'just keep moving. I've never been able to keep still.'

And that, for me, sums up attitude to life perfectly!
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only about 30% of that is genetic, so the rest is up to us.

okay - statistically speaking - i'm screwed Smile

good health does not equal longevity anyway
you just feel better when you die Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: