myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are you serious about your health, fitness, and longevity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Regarding stretching, one clear example where swimmers gain significantly from stretching is the overhead double arm extension ...

Unless you're confining that statement to instances of pathological ROM impairment requiring rehabilitation, these Swimming Science pubs, among many others, might make you rethink that idea.

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/05/low-back-instability-in-swimmers.html

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/07/dryland-mistake-stretching.html

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/07/dryland-mistake-stretching-part-ii.html

Just in part ...
Stretching may not even help during the recovery of an injury (Moseley 2005).

Moreover, increased mobility in the low-spine increases one's risk for injury (Parks 2003).

In the shoulder, excessive overhead motion (overhead sports, ie swimming) cause microdamage to the tendons, which is believed to result in instability and an increased risk of shoulder injury (Sein 2008).

As these are the two most common sites of injury in swimming, every step to prevent injury is essential and discontinuing stretching in these areas is a must!

Power/Strength/EnduranceSports performance is the name of the game in swimming. However many studies have found stretching directly before exercise results in decreased performance! This goes for force production (Behm 2001; Power 2004; Nelson 2001; Fry 2003; Kay 2012) and endurance (Kokkonen 2001, 2005).

One theory is stretching prevents the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC) of the musculotendinous junction, decreasing stiffness and the ability to recoil. Another theory is stretching breaks down muscle fibers and results in soreness (see below), causing performance decrements.

Source: G. John Mullen founder of the Center of Optimal Restoration, head strength coach at Santa Clara Swim Club, creator of the Swimmer's Shoulder System, and chief editor of the Swimming Science Research Review.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Pickle juice is mostly water, salt and vinegar. Vinegar, being a weak acid electrolyte, and salt, also an electrolyte. The rest is water and spice.

Pickle juice is an electrolyte solution.

There is no logic to the author's claim that electrolytes do not work

Explain to him how pickle juice gets distributed to cramping muscles within a minute or two of swallowing it. Maybe he will change his mind.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

Quote from the original post : Cramps’ best systemic cure so far is a swallow of pickle juice, for unknown reasons.

BEST, BEST >> ???

in those examples I looked at for cramps, pickle juice never came up, only if I lead the search engine to pickle juice for cramps ,
none said it was the BEST

The same researchers (Tyler and Miller) who advocate pickle juice also collectively dismiss the electrolyte and dehydration theories based on their experiments. Their conclusion: pickle juice works, electrolytes and hydration do not. Violins! Pickle juice is best ... so far. It's all in the Reynolds' book you guys are fighting so hard, in her deeper articles you guys are citing, and in the researchers' literature you're Googling up. (EHow Mom ... really?)

Man, I've never seen so many bibliophobes in my life. Guys, they're just sheets of paper; they don't bite, they don't "do down" like the internet does, and if you're real careful you won't get paper cuts from them. Smile

your ASSmestment of their research as BEST is interpretative. The links/quotes were intentional to show the range of concepts... you missed that concept , satire

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Lastly, we must keep in mind that this thread was offered as bait for the classic game that isobars likes to play.

So true. With his limited mobility right now, he has way too much time on his hands. He has kept the discussion half-way civil for a while, but now, he has finally reverted back to his old ways of dissing those who disagree with him. He's learned, though - calling others "anonymous internet dudes" and "bibliophobes" seems intended to just slip below the forum rules that would identify him as an "individual who shows a pattern of making incendiary comments which incite others to attack him".

isobars wrote:
I put more trust in professors

So you claim. But you also write:
isobars wrote:
I choose instead to try out the BBS and PACE books in the gym and on the water rather than wading through all the PubMed literature they cite

Interestingly, the first author of "BBS" is not a professor. He is not even a doctor, but rather the owner of a fitness center. The second author is an M.D. who "owns the state-of-the-art personal training facility Ultimate-Exercise". The second book is also not published by a professor, but by an MD who "owns and operates a successful integrative medicine and anti-aging clinic". Publishing books promoting "their" exercise schemes clearly is in their self-interest. Note that none of the authors is an M.D. - Ph.D.; most MDs who are serious about scientific research take the extra effort to complete their Ph.D., too. The third book you recommend was written by a journalist without a doctorate.

You discourage disagreement with the "experts" opinions by stating:
isobars wrote:
Mere squids like us have no basis for questioning peer reviewed conclusions

Feel free to speak for yourself, but let others be their own judge. I, for one, have a Ph.D. in a related field, and have worked many years in a field where rigorous statistical analysis is essential. I have published and reviewed scientific papers, and I am very familiar with what peer review can do, and what its shortcomings are.

I have pointed out that isobars apparent blind trust in peer-reviewed research is, at best, misguided, and given an example that I find rather striking. The mistake that the authors of the study in question have made (analyzing data with a clearly non-gaussian distribution with standard statistics for gaussian distributions) is a very basic one. Anyone who has completed "Statistics 201" or "Scientific Data Analysis 101" should be able to spot it, but sadly, the lack of love and understanding for math that many students have extends to statistics, even amongst scientists.

What we have here is a game of "telephone" or "chinese whispers". Somebody published scientific research; journalists picked up on it, simplifying the original conclusions; third parties with substantial financial self-interest published books about it; and isobars condenses books into a post. He then adds "everything I say is correct and cannot be doubted because it is based on peer-reviewed research".

Looking at the original studies and comparing them to the secondary literature can be quite illuminating. The Croatian "strength and power" study found strength reductions of "almost 5.5 percent", and reduction in "explosive muscular performance" by "as much as 2.8 percent". The NYT columnist Gretche Reynolds concluded that "stretched muscles are, in general, substantially less strong". But when she reports about a study about the effect of stretching on muscle soreness, where the only big study found a reduction of 3.8 percent, she writes that "stretching may not provide the benefits that many of us expect". Sure looks like bias to me! Keep in mind that the Croatian study, besides being statistically questionable, looked only at static stretches done without any warmup. I remember learned back in high school, more than 30 years ago, that you stretch only after warming up.

Let me end by pointing out just one discrepancy that I cannot get out of my head. The OP stated:
isobars wrote:
I remain not just satisfied but extremely impressed by them, having improved my ratio of benefits to time invested at LEAST tenfold with 100% fewer injuries.

He credits his workout regime with "100% fewer injuries", less than two months after suffering one of the worst windsurfing injuries I have ever heard about. A logical conclusion would be that his recommendations are for the gym only, but that they put you at high risk while windsurfing. So I'll keep stretching and ignore the latest fads promoted by gym owners and biased NYT journalists in books.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

original thinking by some here.

same page, same book, same library

in contrast to the tunnel vision exhibited by others that have no ability to think outside the envelope

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

Last edited by U2U2U2 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect reposte Boardsurf.

Athletes can now safely continue with their long standing and proven training methods (an ounce of practice, and all that) safe in the knowledge that new fangled wonder methods are ten a penny, and soon sink without trace when put to the test.

As for those of us who are mere fallible mortals who don't know (and often don't care) what is good for us, we'll muddle through, guided by our experience.

Handsome is as handsome does .... and aint life FUN!!!
mac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed this one for a while. Hysterical. Mike Fick as doctor, researcher, nutritionist, debunker of myth, and hero in his own mind.

I've been an athlete and done weight training for 50 years. Many of the things that we "knew" to be true in the early 1960's--like my football coach refusing to let us drink water--were wrong.

Some truths posted by Iso, some wild nonsense. All done politely of course, and in the interest of stimulating constructive discussion?

Unending source of irony. Unintended, of course.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretching appears to work for Michael Phelps:

"On race days, Phelps arrived at the pool in time to begin stretching two hours before each event. Phelps began his routine by stretching his arms, then worked his way down his body until he reached his ankles. After 30 minutes, Phelps entered the pool for 45 minutes of warm-up swimming. His warm-up included swims of 800, 600, 400 and 200 meters, a swim-kick-pull drill, then a few 25-meter sprints. He then changed from his warm-up outfit to his skintight racing swimsuit -- a task that took 20 minutes."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/1002130-michael-phelps-before-race/

Perhaps it works for him and not for others. While it's certainly worthwhile to consider other viewpoints, the notion that stretching, core exercises and endurance training do not have value as part of a conditioning program simply doesn't coincide with my own experience.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And that game is ...?"

Given boardsurfr's latest post, he did an excellent job of making my original point (sorry boardsurfr, it was me and not techno900). However, I will add that you fully intend to keep coming back through the life of this thread with everything you've got. How many posts have you made already under this thread? No doubt, a lot already. Hopefully this thread will not morph into becoming a "locked" one. Like I've pointed out in the past, folks can often appreciate your thoughts and input if you can keep things in-bounds, clean and upbeat. The choice is yours.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardsurfr, how is using the words “anonymous internet dudes” to distinguish “males typing on the ARPAnet under assumed fake names” from professional exercise physiology experts “dissing” anyone, especially when I so often apply the “internet dude” part to myself? Your “diss” accusation is just one of the false personal attacks iW has promised to delete and it is irrelevant to the topic. I don’t understand why people feel compelled to use deceit and false ad hominem to subvert others’ attempts and desire to learn rather than using exercise physiology counterarguments to ADD TO or correct specific misinformation.

“Bibliophobes” is intended not as an attack, but as an educated assessment based on such posts as mac’s extensive criticism of global warming books he finally admitted he had not and WOULD not read and his and many others’ use of The Huffington Post, Soros’ websites, eHow.MOM, et.al. to rebut facts and opinions presented by career researchers.

Your education is commendable, but does not necessarily exceed mine in the field of statistics. My statistics handwaving here is due to choice, brevity, and overkill in this venue, not to ignorance. Besides, PubMed research by professional medical statisticians reveals that many, if not most, published medical study authors and principles do not understand the statistics they use so inconsistently and incorrectly. I do my best to see through that, including in some cases analyzing the Bayesian statistics they often bluff us with.

Tell us what stretching has to do with crushing a knee by landing a giant jump with that knee locked out (the most common cause of ruptured ACLs)? Even if we could preemptively and effectively stretch ligaments, menisci, and bones, the results would probably be disastrous. And while you’re at it, please explain why career professionals on biomechanics including stretching are wrong about it and you’re right? Attacking the messenger certainly doesn’t achieve that, but it does suggest a lack of relevant topical counterargument.

PACE is but one of MANY interval training books, based on over half a century of research and track and field victories; the fact that that particular book’s author is not a physician doesn’t bother me in the least, considering the body of knowledge behind it. I recommend that book so highly because of its superior practicality, versatility, and presentation compared to the many other books and research I’ve read on HIIT. My appreciation of the BBS/Superslow® approach is based on MANY practical factors and personal success too numerous to type and the lack of any legitimate PubMed contradiction. I consider HIIT proven science, but have never made that claim about BBS/Superslow® despite my extensive very detailed logs of every last lifting set for years proving it works for me … with 100% fewer gym injuries.

You advise to “let others be their own judge”, yet try to discourage that by undermining me, Reynolds, and our sources based on one narrow aspect of one of some 50 highly condensed findings rather than offering specific, relevant, scientific, published, expert conclusions proving this book’s original sources and many others substantively wrong. How scientific is that?

You even claim I said something resembling this paraphrase: "everything I say is correct and cannot be doubted because it is based on peer-reviewed research". (Never mind that Chandler says quotation marks may denote ONLY verbatim quotes, that they are a lie if applied to paraphrased remarks.) In fact, I’ve said in various ways that my one-liner condensations of the research findings discussed in this book are as close as I can get to its presentations of research findings, causal discussions, experts’ quotes, very extensive and very persuasive additional reading, a variety of global competition confirmations, and much more. I’ve added many times that I do NOT have the expertise or expertise to personally confirm or deny these or any other such claims, that I’m merely parroting potentially useful tips of icebergs as pointers for interested and motivated parties’ additional reading, and especially that any and every one should do their own homework before making big or expensive choices based on my pointers. The only excuses I can fathom for the nasty off-topic ad hominem that approach so often triggers include insecurity, running out of facts, stubbornness, post count envy, etc.

Please explain how we should discern “fads promoted by gym owners”, including Chinese whispers, from valid and useful exercise guidelines. I use research filtered by hard work and education; your undefined better selection criteria may save me a LOT of time. My medical decision to reject six oncologists’ strong advice to undergo radiation treatment, for example, took many intense weeks condensing 300 PubMed journal-published salvage radiation studies into a “mere” 100+ pages of discrete, meaty, medical jargon and statistics especially relevant to my own unique cancer scenario (no two are identical). The only oncologists I failed to convince were two of the three who have a radiation machine and staff to pay for.

Can you support your accusation that Reynolds and the experts she quotes and cites are biased, or does that just mean you’re fresh out of data? I’d hate to think that reams of HIIT research and results were wrong, considering how much it has benefited tens of thousands of advocates including myself and my wife, how directly applicable it is to WSing, and the truly uncomfortable sprints it entails. (Ever done "a Tabata" properly?)

Yes, many of those listed guidelines and principles apply mainly to the gym. I train -- i.e., “work out” -- in the gym and PLAY on the water. Some of them, however, apply directly to everything from house and yard work to sitting here typing. Many apply to all venues. Every medical provider and coach with whom I’ve discussed my knee injury is certain my conditioning, including gym and shred time and nutrition, saved my knee from greater destruction and FAR greater pain and disability. (Walking on that leg the day after the injury with almost no pain stunned them.) Gym time and play time are highly synergistic.

Speaking of prolonged sitting, evidence shows I just took a few minutes off my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: