myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are you serious about your health, fitness, and longevity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending time doing the right exercise (and eating the right things) can maximize the windsurfing opportunities a person gets. It's no use being sedentary and eating like crap all week then trying to perform like an athlete on the weekend.
Windsurfing fitness can be done in 45 minutes 2x a week after a reasonable base fitness is established.
sl55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing this slow resistance training following the philosophy of " body by science" for over 5 years now. I was lucky to have a place in town that follows those principles and has Medex machines. Actually, me and my wife are doing that, and we never felt better and stronger ever. I am 63 now.
Just want to say thank you to isobars for recommending "Body by science" book.
The only stretch exercise that I found useful is a "dead hang" for shoulders as preached by Dr. John M. Kirsch.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's working for you. And don't you just LOVE its other advantages: no warmup necessary, zero injury rate, working out every major muscle group in < 12 minutes, gaining maximum results by doing it only 2 or 3 times per month, its exceptional aerobic and anaerobic benefits, its complete concentric and eccentric exhaustion of all our muscles and every muscle fiber type, its full range of motion benefits, not having to hog a machine for multiple sets, and more?

I include the dead hang in my Superslow lat pulldowns simply by letting the cable pull my hands up as far as they will go between pulldowns.

People can't understand why I'm absolutely heaving for air during the last rep or two despite moving so slowly it looks almost static (as you know, the last 10 seconds of each exercise IS static, simply because we've reached concentric failure of every slow and fast twitch muscle used in that lift and there's apparently no more oxygen left in the room). When they ask about that, I just suggest they try it. The VAST majority of gym patrons -- close to 100% -- are not willing to work that hard even if for less than 30 minutes per month.

Beats the HELL out of the 4-6-hour nonstop high intensity interval circuits I used to do 2-3 days a week. What misguided idiocy that was!
sl55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes and yes, Iso, you are right about all that.
However, the best thing about BBS is that it is totally SUSTAINABLE.
I am addicted to it and I feel withdrawal if I delay it for a day. I do it once a week and I always can find time to do it. From my point of view it is the most important aspect of BBS training.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, any strength-building exercise "goes stale" after about six weeks. i.e., our bodies find ways to cheat, making them much easier and thus much less productive. A bud has done the same weight routine for decades now, and doesn't want to hear that it became little more than aerobic arm-waving "decades minus 6 weeks ago". (He also complains of losing 5 pounds of muscle every year, and doesn't want to hear that his protein intake is barely enough for a sedentary man to sustain life itself.) To sustain our progress, we must change not just the sequence but also the exercises we do. BBS says increasing the weight or time is sufficient to trick our bodies into responding as though we're doing new exercises, but I really question, and have not resolved, that.

Are you still doing the basic Big 5 and still progressing rapidly, or has your rate of progress slowed significantly? I keep substituting different exercises, such as doing lunges instead of leg presses, but find that my biggest leaps forward come after longer layoffs. I don't even lift during good sailing seasons, as they don't give me time to recover fully between the really good weeks. (The last two summers didn't present that "problem".)
sl55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good trainer. He keeps changing up the routine and keeps adding weights. However it does not stray far away from big 5. I go through platoes and spikes in my strength and some times require more rest time. All in all I do not stagnate, and my muscle mass slowly increases (to my total astonishment). I could not achieve that with my previous attempts to exercise in my younger years. So far all is well.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my meds boosts muscle, others boost belly fat, one boosts masculinity, another boosts femininity. The race is on, and our lack of wind is not helping. The only day of wind in my neck of the woods since August was literally dangerous so I and many other regulars passed after giving it a try. Gym season came early this year.

My wife uses a trainer for her Superslow lifting, but I don't. Operating solo lets me choose my days based on how well I've recovered from whatever my last strenuous day was ... windsurfing, HIIT, Pilates, bodyweight exercises, trapeze, plyometrics, changing snow tires, etc. It also lets me just get up and start my day with a full body gym workout at 4 AM if my insomnia precludes sleep. As you've found, the basic SS Big 5 routine itself is fairly strict, yet there are many ways to spice, mix, and/or change it up ... just one more advantage to it, IMO. Having to do only one set of each exercise helps me squeeze my sets in among those of the folks doing multiple sets separated by counting ceiling tiles.

If this conversation bores a dozen lurkers but motivates even one to try it rigorously, I'd say it's worth it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: About My Fitness and Wellness Reply with quote

claenquirieshTZD wrote:
I am too much conscious about my health and fitness. I prefer outdoor athletic activities to fit my body

Anyone recognize this thread was 5 years old ? Restarted by poster on their 1st post .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet still highly relevant to all of us, even if we don't recognize it.

Bonuses: solid, fresh feedback from sl55 plus a new facet to the issue from claenquirieshTZD. Beats repeating the same old annual discussions about helmets or harness lines.

Thank you both.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that isobars wants to take a victory lap and strut about a bit. No doubt, a hard won battle under difficult odds here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: